WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Rock Chucker primer catcher

RCBS Rock Chucker primer catcher

I had the primer catcher for the RCBS Rock Chucker press for 2 years now and the "Handloader magazine" had a small article about it in their latest issue.

Here is the article if you are interested http://www.primercatcher.com/docs/article.pdf

Sad huh? A day late and a dollar short, regurgitated articles from years gone past or articles advertising something for a customer. This magazine has lost it's appeal to me.
    I have a stack of them a foot deep and can't remember when I went digging through them last to find some important information.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I want to like that magazine, but it leaves a lot to desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep...I've got a foot deep stack of them...all the time me trying to like it.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I suppose the magazine catches a different audience than those who are members here. We may have seen it a couple of years ago but there are many who have been left behind by the digital revolution who will have seen it for the first time in Handloader magazine. Similarly we all saw the Buchanan Hand Press from its very birth a few months ago, the very same press which is featured in the latest issue of Handloader.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

In Remembrance

I still use the original aluminum catcher and put a piece of blue painters tape over the priming arm slot to keep primers out. I keep large diameter soda straws for a diverter tube for spent primers down thru the ram. Raise the ram to the top cut a straw for that length to the shell holder. On the bottom of the straw cut it on a 45 degree angle so the primers won`t bounce off the tray onto your floor.Robert

I read the Primer catcher article and thought it was worth a try. The current model is for the Rock Chuck IV and not the earlier models. I have the Inline Fabrication case ejector system on my RC IV and I was really concerned about whether the primer catcher would work. I sent an email to Tom at Primercatcher explaining my concern and he offered to send me one to try and pay if it worked or keep it if it didn't... hard to beat that deal. When I got it in, there was no way that it would fit on the RC with the case ejector on it. I sent Tom several pictures explaining what I was running into and he has since designed a different version that I received last weekend. The new one works perfect with the case ejector system. For me, it is a great product and awesome customer service. Sorry, no pictures of the current set up. Quite impressive how fast this will resize and deprime brass. Haven't run very many pieces yet, but I don't see where I am going to have spent primers all over the place. The case ejector system really speeded up the process. My plan is to run brass through the FA tumbler without the pins and dry them and then resize and otherwise prep if necessary and run back through tumbler with the pins. This is necessary for third party sourced brass of which I seem to have an abundance of now.

Yeah, I could have gotten the Inline Fabrication spent primer system but the Primercatcher was a little less expensive. Both are good products.

I still like the magazine - not so much to get important information out of it, but to read about other people's experience reloading different calibers and quite often they have some really cool stories in it that I simply enjoy reading for entertainment while having my cigar... For current / real in-depth load data / chrono information, there are for sure other options. For me and the price they sell them for, still a great read

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Sad huh? A day late and a dollar short, regurgitated articles from years gone past or articles advertising something for a customer. This magazine has lost it's appeal to me.
    I have a stack of them a foot deep and can't remember when I went digging through them last to find some important information.

Boolit Grand Master

That device looks interesting but I can't really tell from the picture how it works. I just suffer with the catcher that came with the press. Yeah, I occasionally have a spent primer escape but no where as many as the haters talk about. It seems to make a difference in how aggressive you work the ram. I'm pretty slow and deliberate myself.

Boolit Master
    I just place a piece of primer box card board in the tray and it catches most all of the escaping spent primers which are not very many.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey OP, do you think you do a link to the articles on the bore scope and the reduced rifle loads in the same issue? I bought a $20 endoscope to look inside barrels, I'm curious as to what a dedicated scope can show.

TIA

Hey No Blue - sorry, but I only got the permission to share this article specifically - they sell the online subscription at a very reasonable price (as far as I remember, it was below $20 for a year).

Perma-Banned A.K.A Castmast
    It's not a patch on the old magazine...went to hell when it was bought out.

What is different with the current version? I only had it for about 2 years now and thought it was an interesting magazine.
    Quote Originally Posted by rundownbear View Post
    It's not a patch on the old magazine...went to hell when it was bought out.

Here is a video that shows a bit more

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    That device looks interesting but I can't really tell from the picture how it works. I just suffer with the catcher that came with the press. Yeah, I occasionally have a spent primer escape but no where as many as the haters talk about. It seems to make a difference in how aggressive you work the ram. I'm pretty slow and deliberate myself.

I got sick of stepping on spent primers and/or kneeling on the floor picking them up as they spewed out of my new RCBS press.

The price for this gadget seemed Ok but the shipping almost matched the price

Vamos a ver...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gifbohane View Post
    I got sick of stepping on spent primers and/or kneeling on the floor picking them up as they spewed out of my new RCBS press.

The price for this gadget seemed Ok but the shipping almost matched the price

Vamos a ver...
    Shipping has become a profit center; with some vendors the shipping is the major source of profit. They break even on the item, pay all their costs from that.

I bought 4 ammo cans and 65 rounds of shotgun slugs and buck, got free shipping. But the receipt was broken down to include $33.75 for shipping that was waived!

Very interested. Subscribing.

I'm not trying to be snarky but Venturino's contribution to the magazine seems pretty lame. He's tired and his writing shows it. Pretty pedestrian these days. I like the tech articles but they are getting fewer too. Still, both Handloader and Rifle, it's sister publication are far and beyond Shooting Times or Guns and Ammo IMO. I guess Guns is dead so what's left? The NRA mag is now pretty lame too. That's my $.02 anyway.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

I was hoping for something that would work on my old RCBS Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast