RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is anyone loading for the 6.5x57 ?

Boolit Bub
    I loaded 15 rounds with 3 different bullets, 100 grain hp, 125 grain sp, and 154 grain with 35 grains of Varget. That is a low end load listed for the 6.5x55, half of the brass was 7x57 that I necked down. Measuring the brass that I fireformed matches the original 6.5x57 data that I have. My intentions is to set the brass that came with the rifle aside as I do not know it's history,7x57 brass is readily available and I also plan on ordering some Seller & Bellot loaded ammo in the actual caliber.
    By the way this rifle is a pleasure to shoot and is surprisingly accurate from a makeshift rest at 25 yards. I was mainly looking for pressure signs on the reformed brass, and to make sure the rifle and scope was as it should be.
    When I can get enough proper components the fun will really begin.
    This old Mauser has found a permanent home.

Boolit Bub
    Here is some pics of the close range targets the first target had 100 grain HP and 125 grain SP . The second target is with some old RWS 154 grain btsp . None of the fired rounds extracted hard and the primers while flat in the center the outer edges were still round and not flowed to the outside of the primer pocket which would be a sign of excessive pressure. The first shots were to the right so I adjusted the scope to center and raised it slightly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170129_084940.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	186543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170129_084946.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	186544

Glad you got it figured out. When you order your S&B, be careful that you don't wind up with 6.5x57 rimmed that they also make. PRVI also makes 6.5x57 and it's available through Grafs. I've shot a few of the S&B through a 6.5x257 converted Arisaka rifle. Just enough to get it on target @100yd, but not enough to test the accuracy. The holes the bullet left in the red clay backstop say it would likely make a good deer round.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Southerngunner View Post
    I loaded 15 rounds with 3 different bullets, 100 grain hp, 125 grain sp, and 154 grain with 35 grains of Varget. That is a low end load listed for the 6.5x55, half of the brass was 7x57 that I necked down. Measuring the brass that I fireformed matches the original 6.5x57 data that I have. My intentions is to set the brass that came with the rifle aside as I do not know it's history,7x57 brass is readily available and I also plan on ordering some Seller & Bellot loaded ammo in the actual caliber.
    By the way this rifle is a pleasure to shoot and is surprisingly accurate from a makeshift rest at 25 yards. I was mainly looking for pressure signs on the reformed brass, and to make sure the rifle and scope was as it should be.
    When I can get enough proper components the fun will really begin.
    This old Mauser has found a permanent home.
    That all seems very satisfactory, and while a jacketed-bullet Mauser might or mightn't become more accurate with full power loads, it is unlikely to become less so. Fired cases ought to measure out slightly wider in the neck than unfired ones, although the more slightly, the better.