RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best cleaning fluids

Boolit Bub

best cleaning fluids

Hey fellas,
    In you opinion what are the best cleaning fluids to use on you rifles and pistols.
    3band53

Boolit Master

I haven't tried them all. But I use Kroil when cleaning barrels used to shoot lead bullets. I wipe down guns (exteriors) with Eezox when putting them away. I have been perfectly happy with these products.

Boolit Master

Eds Red with acetone

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Ballistol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Anything but Hoppe's..............

Winelover

Boolit Man
    salt water
    "America: The only country that matters. If you want to experience other "cultures", use an atlas or ham radio" - Ron Swanson

Boolit Master
    Been gifted so many different cleaning products I just use whichever is handy. Currently tring to use up my froglube solvent and paste....then it'll be back to CLP/Hoppes 9 or whatever I grab first.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Best?

Wipe Out for copper removal.
    Ed's Red
    Ballistol
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    Ed's Red, and sometimes Kroil (a soaked patch for lead removal), JB bore paste, and Sweets. Mostly Ed's Red and that covers 95% of my cleaning needs.

I may have to try the Bore Tech Eliminator sometime, I have heard nothing but good about it.

For other specialty cleaning needs: Birchwood Casey lead removal cloth (great for burn marks on revo's and other needs) Ballistol, for corrosive's and BP cleanup, I have quite a few other products but I don't use'em much or at all anymore. Ed's Red took over by storm!
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 01-26-2017 at 11:40 PM.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master

There is no one best. It depends on your aplication. For bore cleaners copper, lead, carbon and plastic are some of the types of fouling that needs to be removed.

My favorite for bore cleaning is Boretech Eliminator or Wipe Out. For the exterior Eezox's is the best I have found.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-26-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyHev View Post
    salt water
    Been a member of this forum since 2008. That is the most useless reply to a honest question I have seen.

Boolit Master

Best cleaning fluids - not solvents? aerosol's or pumps containing cleaning fluids such as brake cleaner, acetone, ether etc. Otherwise an ultrasonic cleaner with your choice of cleaner - I've used simple green in an ultrasonic cleaner for firearm parts.

Brownell's use to have a spray that really took out the crud in tight spaces and could be used on gummed up triggers that took off all that Hoppe's varnish. California wouldn't allow it, so I guess they just stopped carrying it.

Hornady's one-shot is pretty good but for a bore cleaner, Boretech Eliminator is really good for removing carbon and copper while the Hornady one-shot HD extreme is right there on top for corrosion and rust prevention.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Ballistol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing just about all I use
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Super Moderator

I like Sweet's or Butch's Bore shine for quickly removing copper fouling. Kroil works well for cleaning after shooting cast. I will also say that I like Hoppe's #9, It's good for a several day soak when needed. Smells good too.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Been a member of this forum since 2008. That is the most useless reply to a honest question I have seen.
    Thank you
    "America: The only country that matters. If you want to experience other "cultures", use an atlas or ham radio" - Ron Swanson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I like Sweet's or Butch's Bore shine for quickly removing copper fouling. Kroil works well for cleaning after shooting cast. I will also say that I like Hoppe's #9, It's good for a several day soak when needed. Smells good too.
    In its day Sweet's 7.62 was one of the best copper removers but it's snail pace slow when compared to some of today's copper removers. Give Boretech a try - Eliminator is excellent for both carbon and copper and CU+2 is outstanding for copper removal only.

Boolit Grand Master

For a smokeless bore cleaner shooters choice mixed 50-50 with kroil. For range cleaning black powder firearms windex with vinegar. Ido clean with several solvents. On smokeless firearms I start with the shooter choice kroil mix. Wet and brush good then patch dry. Then a like pass with ballistol water mix. Last if it needs it is JB Bore cleaner. other wise it oil and store.
    For black powder its the windex with vinegar at the range. I also do a brushing and path with it before caseing the firearm for the trip home. Dry bore at home and ballistol water mix. I may then run shooters choice kroil to remove any existing leading if needed. Dry good and preserve bore with a patch and SPG or emmerts bullet lube. I save the patches used to clean bases of the bullets for this.
    Solvent depends on what type of fouling is needing to be removed and how heavy it is. Different solvents work better on different fouling. Powder fouling, carbon, copper, lead, plastic can all be there needing to be removed. These can be hard to remove with the wrong solvent. I do occasionally use JB Bore cleaner in rifles and pistols. A little on a tight fitting patch and some scrubbing will do wonders.

ATF for me, started with a half bottle of Dextron II, then moved into a full bottle of the Dextron III but I think any of it will work.

It all seems to clean very very well, lubricate well, wipes dry and still leaves a protected lubed surface.

If I am trying to get lead out or old dark rifling I will take a half a shot glass of ATF, add 3-4 squirts of Goo Gone to it and use that. That stuff is super.

Worked better than hoppes for pulling lead. Helps to have a tight patch so you have to work to move it.

That's me, already had it, no expense, after 3 years no issues. Also seems to work great in between switching lubes. Clean out the old, leaves the bore spotless shiny ready for the new.

Your mileage may vary but I find the stuff amazing and thrifty.

Boolit Master
    I am happy with Ed's Red. Equal parts mineral spirits, acetone, kerosene and Dexron ATF with lanolin an optional addition. IIRC The recipe is on the internet if you search.

Boolit Master
    i too remember when sweets was THE copper remover to use. it has since been proven that it can ruin a bore. the ammonia does it. please, don't anyone reply that you have been using sweets since 19_ _ and your bores are as good as new. keep using it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast