Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Svarog Russian slug molds?

Quote Originally Posted by donkee View Post
    Mine with shipping as $70. Not bad I guess......
    where did you get yours?
    Feed back thread

Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    where did you get yours?
    You can contact them on my Buck and Slug Reloaders Page on Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    You can contact them on my Buck and Slug Reloaders Page on Facebook.

Already ordered , now I need to figure out how to best load them. Guess I got a few weeks for that
    Feed back thread

Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    Already ordered , now I need to figure out how to best load them. Guess I got a few weeks for that
    Which mold did you buy?

BTW, you’re on archery talk, aren’t ya?!

I just ordered my first one of these Russian slug moulds. I have the fragmental Zveroboy M on the way. In the offer I opted for it's a two for one package as the pin to make the hollow point slug with out the slots was included. $111 shipped. I'm looking forward to the arrival. Gp

I ordered my Paradox mould on 1/1/2019 and it arrived from Russia 1/8! I couldn't believe it. $108 with shipping off Ebay.

The mould is excellent quality and makes nice slugs that will knock down anything. I made 60 of the version that uses the screw on wad which I have coming from BPI.

I emailed them yesterday about the "Plug in Wads" for those slugs and am waiting for a response. Hopefully they will get back to me soon so I can place an order.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-16-2019 at 07:51 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Now that is fast shipping over the Pond.

My first impressions with Swarog 20 gauge "Lyman style" slugs have been very good.

The mold itself is easy to cast with and feels durable. Drops nice. Slugs shoot fine. Now I have a ball mold coming.

Paradox. And yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    Which mold did you buy?

BTW, you’re on archery talk, aren’t ya?!

Feed back thread

Still no word back from Russia on the plug in wads.

Emailed the Italians who make lots of BPI's Slugs and wads, and got an immediate response from the guy I met at SHOT a few years ago.
    They supposedly can't sell just the wads due to some "Patent Issue." They only sell the slugs in 250 ea. or 500 ea. quantities.

Looks like I still need a source for these wads. Wasn't there a guy in Canada selling these?

We need to find out as several of us have bought the slug moulds that use this wad. Any suggestions welcome.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

Looks like I still need a source for these wads. Wasn't there a guy in Canada selling these?

We need to find out as several of us have bought the slug moulds that use this wad. Any suggestions welcome.

Randy

I see those wads on Ebay,under "sellers other items": Seller name is svaroghunt.ru

Attachment 234140

Me and Uncle D bought 10,000 of those tailwads. Maybe he can let go of a few.

Sometimes they take a few days to respond Randy but ordering direct from them is certainly the cheapest way to go. Unless uncle D wants to give some up.

Got some coming! Thanks Petander for the heads up on the Ebay location. I never would have found it.

Hope others can use it too. My mould came in 7 days so hopefully these will get here before I get back from SHOT.

$36.20 total with shipping which is .14 each. I can live with that.

Thanks all.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-17-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Got some coming! Thanks Petander for the heads up on the Ebay location. I never would have found it.

Hope others can use it too.
    You're welcome,I have a mold coming and I was just browsing around to see what else they have.

Boolit Master
    The mold came today. Good .550 balls.

Attachment 234252

Boolit Man
    I'll wait until I hear if you guys got them to shoot well.
    Please let all know how they work out.

sucks, seems it has not shipped yet. it still shows a "pre shipment" status
    Feed back thread

Boolit Mold
    After having a flyer from a Remington $3 slug miss a deer over a foot too high at 20-25 yards, another shell not chamber, and the accu-tip being attached to that bullet crookedly (hence the flyer), I decided to roll my own shotgun slugs. I haven't shot factory ammo in a centerfire rifle in years. I ordered the Svarog Lyman-clone mold with all 4 pins and a Universal device for equipping hunting cartridges UPS-5 Made in Russia HIT!!! to load them with. Got a bunch of Rio hulls, some 12S4 wads, some 16 gauge nitro cards, and went at it. Started with the lightest option. They cast nicely out of wheel weight alloy at about 408 grains each. Nice slug-in-wad fit in the smoothbore Mossberg bolt-action with no choke attachment, snug but not tight. Loaded them up over some Red Dot (because I had it). Ran them through my Mossberg 535 rifled barrel. Wad petals looked great, and I could see where they engaged the rifling. Very mild to shoot. Dadgum shame the base of the wads kept getting pushed into the base of the slug. Didn't figure that powder would work, but the Red Dot was free and it'd be silly not to try it.

New powder time. Local place had only a couple of options in stock for a replacement powder. Went with Accurate #5. The 40 grain load showed some real promise with a 1" vertical/0.5" horizontal spread and 1450 fps average on three shots at 50 yards with a ghost ring and fiber optic blade in a pretty good wind, but the recoil was enough to convince me that my 11 year old wouldn't be able to handle them in the bolt-action smoothbore.

I'm going to cast a bunch of slugs with the pin that gets me closest to a 1 ounce slug and try those with Green Dot next. If that doesn't give me something that'll hunt for both of us, I'll go back to the 40 grains of Accurate #5 for me and go to a reduced recoil load with Red or Green Dot for the kiddo.

Working up slug loads is almost as much fun as working up rifle loads. (Not kidding, I love the process.)

Mostly I wrote this to share info and to have an excuse to add that I appreciate all the info that's been shared here. You folks have kept me from making lots of mistakes.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiley D View Post
    I'm going to cast a bunch of slugs with the pin that gets me closest to a 1 ounce slug and try those with Green Dot next.
    Kiddo argued for the heaviest option because he likes the way the heavy bullets shoot in my .303-06 Arisaka that he's decided he wants to be his hunting rifle, so I went with the biggest pin. After sorting out the visual defects, I had about 115 visually good slugs. Since I've read on this forum that new casters ought to weigh boolits to improve their technique, I did. Average weight was 488.4 grains. Only six were more than 0.5% away from the average weight. They'll be my sighter loads. Of those six, only one was outside +/- 1%. If a noob casting on a Coleman stove without a thermometer can get 95% of his boolits to drop within 1/2 of 1% of the same weight with it, I think this just might be a good mold.

Boolit Grand Master

You should try a nitro card wad under the slug to stop wads from pushing into the cavity. I like 16 ga. in my Winchester shotcups. 20 ga. may be better for wads with thicker petals. Either should work okay.

Alternately hot melt glue or some other filler can be used in the hollow cavity of the slug. The slug filler helps support the skirt as well so double bonus!

I see you are a new member here! Welcome aboard!

Longbow

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast