RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Svarog Russian slug molds?

Boolit Grand Master

I'd like several suppressed guns but the Canadian government doesn't just try, it does take all the fun out of things and our taxes are higher than your taxes! No suppressors allowed at all in Canada!

And people wonder why I am a grumpy old man...

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I'd like several suppressed guns but the Canadian government doesn't just try, it does take all the fun out of things and our taxes are higher than your taxes! No suppressors allowed at all in Canada!

And people wonder why I am a grumpy old man...
    I'm not quite sure my suppressed shotgun would pass muster with the authorities (suppressors are legal here, but must be registered) But as long as the barrel is of legal length it should probably be OK. Anyway, as long as you don't ask, you won't get a "No"...
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Grand Master

I am afraid the RCMP has no sense of humour at all! If caught with a suppressor on a gun I suspect a guy would be behind bars for some time! They don't need to be asked... they'll come take a look!

Canada has become publicly anti gun. Reminds me a lot of California except their gun laws are more lenient!

Boolit Master
    A small pilot hole is very helpful here.

Attachment 236472

Attachment 236473

Petander: I like that you Hytek the slugs. The extra amount of protection can't hurt. I powder coat 95% of everything, pistol, rifle and shotgun projectiles. Using clear PC and just a pinch of a solid color gives a very similar look as the ones posted above. Good looking and slick slugs. Gp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Petander: I like that you Hytek the slugs. The extra amount of protection can't hurt. I powder coat 95% of everything, pistol, rifle and shotgun projectiles. Using clear PC and just a pinch of a solid color gives a very similar look as the ones posted above. Good looking and slick slugs. Gp
    Thank you gp - yes,I coat everything I cast. My casting sort of re-started on a higher gear after discovering Hi Tek.

Here is a Zveroboy exit "hole" in a 2x2 :

Attachment 236490.

I'm approaching 1300 fps w/18" barrel. Vihtavuori N340. This is on the mild side.

Attachment 236491
    Last edited by Petander; 02-21-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

How is accuracy with those?

Does that mould come with a non segmented HP pin? Or is one available?

I like the slug and the idea of putting the screw in from the nose but not so much the segmented slug.

Where are you in Finland? Our range would look about like that but it is a long slog in with the snow we've had so I still haven't gotten shooting. Hoping to this weekend. The bad part of winter is about over now so if won't be long before the snow is thinning out then melting away. The range may be reasonably accessible now as it is on a lake shore and there tends to be a little less snow there than where I live. It is on the lee side of the mountain and around the lake it tends to be a bit warmer with less accumulated snow than other areas.

Its good to see someone getting some shooting done anyway!

Longbow

I picked up a slug mould like the one Petander pictured above and bought the second pin that throws a hollow point without the segmented feature a two for one deal. They are available on Ebay either way. One pin or two and the slugs are flat based. Anxious to get to the range myself. I should get off my backside and just go, snow and cold or not. Gp

Petander: I drilled mine on the lathe using a collet to hold the wads. all I used was a 1/16" drill and the screw opens the hole up enough by itself to hold onto the wad well.

If we didn't put the Pilot Hole in the wads there wouldn't be any reason to assume you got the screw in the center of the wad. If the wad isn't centered it still acts like the back end of the boolit and will make it fly stupid.

I like the Green and Gold motif you chose for your slugs. Reminds me of Santa Barbara High School colors. My wife went there and she liked your slugs too.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    How is accuracy with those?

Does that mould come with a non segmented HP pin? Or is one available?

Yes,mine came with two pins,the other being hp.

I haven't done proper accuracy tests yet,now I'm working on some velocity instead of my usual re-filled "Economy slugs". Economy version showed "normal" accuracy with these,hp being better. But I didn't use bags or anything, the table is slippery with ice and snow.

The weather is funny,now it was a -20°C night, tomorrow will be rain @ +6°C. I try to go shooting a couple of times a week,no matter what weather. There's always something to chrono at least. And a neighbour plows the road every now and then-now it's all plain ice though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

If we didn't put the Pilot Hole in the wads there wouldn't be any reason to assume you got the screw in the center of the wad. If the wad isn't centered it still acts like the back end of the boolit and will make it fly stupid.

I like the Green and Gold motif you chose for your slugs. Reminds me of Santa Barbara High School colors. My wife went there and she liked your slugs too.

Randy

LOL @ High School.

About the pilot: I tried screwing the slug to the wad when both were inside the hull. One might think it aligns things but no,the screw has its own will unless there is a pilot hole. And it's nice to inspect them anyway.

I haven't recovered any fired ones. It will be interesting to see the wads - I did use an extra gas seal on top of powder to use up the extra space.

Attachment 236542

Boolit Master
    I'm at 1350 fps now with Zveroboy.

Attachment 236637.

30 meters,elbow resting on a table. Looking at the hole to the left,I think one slug/wad was bad somehow. You really want them wads straight and centered:

Attachment 236638.

I tried a couple at 50 meters. I really should mount a dot... short barrel,open sights,no bags...

Attachment 236639.

I think these slugs have a reasonable accuracy potential,now that I'm pushing them a bit harder.

Boolit Grand Master

That is looking pretty good to me!

I'm sure solid rest and scope would tighten it up some too which is even better.

The holes in your target look to be nice and round so those slugs are flying well.

I found that my bench cross stick rest really helped me out not only with a solid rest that I can sit up using but also recoil. Laying low to the bench using sand bags or typical rest result in tall guys absorbing recoil more to the top of shoulder and not allowing the body to rock back with recoil... or as much anyway. The sitting up straighter makes the felt recoil much milder for me anyway, like shooting off hand.

I made a base about 18" wide with a pivot at each end for pinned cross sticks with a row of holes up the middle of each so I can adjust rest height easily and to allow me to sit up quite straight. The cross sticks can easily be replaced with longer or shorter sticks to suit need. Mine could be used for prone position and are just right for sitting at a shooting bench.

The solid rest takes some of the human "flinch" factor out especially when shooting a lot.

What gun are you using? Looks like a pump. I've shimmed the barrel of my Mossberg Slugster and that tightened it up noticeably. I haven't shot it yet but have to think it will help with accuracy.

What do those slugs weight with the unsegmented hollow point? I'd guess not a lot of weight increase as the slits are pretty narrow. Is the HP hole any different/smaller? Or just no slits?

We got another dump of snow yesterday so I am not sure if I will be able to get to the range yet again this weekend! I think this is winter's last gasp though and weather should be warming up.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Segmented weighs 575 w/screwed on wad. HP weighs 20 grains more with a slightly larger hole.

I' m using a cylinder 18,5" Benelli M3,it can be used as pump or self loader with a flick of a switch in the front stock. It has pistol grip stock with a bit too much drop to my taste,my cheek gets slapped with stronger loads. I'm officially a 20 gauge guy but I had to buy this because I used to have an M1 and it was completely,totally reliable with everything. Fast,simple. This M3 had a ridiculously low price (because of the cyl and stock I guess) so I couldn't resist. Feels like home.

Especially with tungsten shot,a cyl barrel is completely good for hunting. And I like simple things,no chokes, iron sights...

This quickly became my 3-Gun competition gun again. I'm a member of several clubs, long range rifle,action,clays... also active in three hunting clubs.

I went up to 1450 fps today,nice weather... had to go...

Attachment 236651

Attachment 236652.
    Last edited by Petander; 02-23-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

That's good that the weight is almost the same. They should to same point of aim at any normal slug range.

The old Kynoch Paradox slugs were like that the HP version was slightly longer to make up for weight loss from the HP. Both were 750 grs. In that case it means having two moulds though.

I'm thinking I should make an HP nose form for my full bore slug mould and use the screw from nose through wad idea. I like that! Should work for wad slug too. I'll have to ry that as well. Now if only I could get to the range... I'll check it out later today and pick up my membership.

I'm guessing you haven't recovered any slugs yet or at least slugs shot into an expansion testing medium? I know the fragmenting slugs do just that as pics have been posted. I am wondering if the non-segmented HP version expands, breaks apart or if cast from WW or hard alloy whether it stays together.

Longbow

Petander: One thing you can do that will tighten your groups up is a different style target. A 3" black diamond is the hot tip. This works and is the type of target I use for all my iron sighted guns.

You index the Front Sight on the bottom point of the diamond and that allows you to center the diamond on the front sight much easier. Then sit the diamond on top of the front sight for elevation and let fly. Obviously this will require a proper rest to execute well, but once you get the hang of the sight picture you'll see your groups tighten greatly.

The group below was shot "off hand" at 50 yards at Front Sight, as I was not about to lay in the dirt to shoot it prone. But I was trying to aim at the bottom of the diamond and the gun was sighted in dead on at 75 yards with different ammo. This was three Federal Low Recoil slugs, so you see that they shot a little to the left. Elevation was perfect for the 75 yard zero.

I do think that group would tighten up off a rest, and I will shoot it again off a rest when I start testing in a couple of weeks.

For those shooting the Mossbergs off a rest, make sure to grip the action bars so the bolt stays closed immediately after firing. You need to realize that as soon as the hammer drops the bolt release is tripped and the slide is free to move back. The bolt is held in battery by the locking lug in the barrel during the time when the payload is still in the barrel, but what keeps the bolt from moving to the rear before that is the slide latch which you depress to open the action on a live round. As long as the slide is all the way forward the bolt is held in battery after firing. After firing the slide is free to move to the rear as there is nothing holding it forward. It will happen under recoil if you don't hold pressure on the action bars or keep forward pressure on the slide.. You can see exactly how the action works by simply taking it's 5 or 6 parts apart for cleaning. Not that hard.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Petander: One thing you can do that will tighten your groups up is a different style target. A 3" black diamond is the hot tip. This works and is the type of target I use for all my iron sighted guns.

Randy
    You are right,and I often fill those crosses into diamonds. But my magic marker is running on empty and I can't afford a new one until payday next week.

I'm used to testing loads with scopes. Not that I always use the scope after testing but you know,to eliminate my own errors. Get confidence in the load. Now,this whole 12 gauge slug thing sort of surprised me... and I like it. I don't really want a rail on it, then I'm out of the irons.

I have lots of surplus paper targets that could be made into diamond targets with some spray paint. Might even do that,thanks for the idea.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm with Randy on the diamonds! I like 'em!

I just cut a square in a piece of cardboard then lay that on an old "D" size drawing (on the back of course). I usually put 3 down the length of the "D" size drawing (24" x 36" paper). I work in an engineering office and remember when computers became a big thing... probably not long after the Commodore 64 and the catch phrase was "We'll have a paperless society!" NOT! There is more paper used now than ever before! Certainly everywhere I've worked in the last 35 years!

Anyway, a 4" square rotated 45° makes a perfect diamond target for 50 yards.

HAHAHA! I'm also with Randy on the recoil with Mossbergs (and likely most other pump guns). The first time I ever shot a pump of a rest was when I took the Slugster out the first time. A semiauto had nothing on that Slugster! I'd pull the trigger with the forearm sitting on my cross sticks and I'd see the ejected hull flying by and the gun was reloaded and ready to go! It took me a few shots to figure out what was happening. The action is quite smooth and while the recoil is backwards to slide operation there is this recovery of the body from recoil then sitting back and ready to shoot. All in all it seems well coordinated to operate a pump action with no thought or effort!

Longbow

LB: It's called "Riding the Recoil" and after you shoot at a bunch of steel targets it becomes second nature.

Part of the Skills Test at Front Sight's Tactical Shotgun Class is shooting multiple targets in rapid succession. 2 targets you get 1.6 seconds. 3 targets 2.1 seconds and 4 targets you get 2.6 seconds.

I have gotten 2 and 3 every time, but 4 in a row eludes me and that is part of the reason for the A5. My recovery time is just too long after the third shot, and I come up late every time.

The rest of the test is fairly easy for me after I was taught the expedient way of stripping a round off the side saddle to do a select slug shot. IE you have buckshot in the chamber and magazine so you need to stuff a slug in the Mag, and then waste the round int the chamber and then hit a man at 35 and 50 yards. You've got 4.5 seconds at 35 yards and 5.0 at 50.

I might add that you actually must hit the targets too in all of this or you get dinged.

This is what I keep talking about as far as training is concerned. Being able to run a pump or SA Shotgun takes some instruction and lots of practice. Nobody is born knowing how to do this stuff and they can be valuable skills if you need to perform under stress be it under social or field conditions.

The whole reason for me to do all this slug and buckshot testing is to provide very cheap practice ammo for training and 3 gun shoots, as well as some possible Pig Hunting Excursions in Central Calif. that may happen in the near future. Pretty sure pigs will get the STI Sabot Slugs with Brass Inserts, as that is the easiest solution to our stupid game laws predicated on the supposed death of Condors by lead poisoning due to them eating gut piles left by hunters.

Never mind that no Condor has ever made it to a gut pile before Coyotes have had their fill. But when you have stupid judges who have no technical expertise whatsoever you get rulings like this.

Now back to stripping paint.

Randy

So I made 5 of these while waiting for Paint Stripper to work. This is the Heavy Paradox Boolit with with the wad attached like we do with the other version. This one weighs 670 gr complete as opposed to 590 gr for the other version and the one with the plug in wad weighs 570 gr.

This version of the slug is by far the easiest to cast and had the least number of culls. Since I found that I had to drill the ones with the holes anyway to get the screws in them I figure why not just drill these. Lost a bit of weight in the process, about 20 gr, but will probably get that back in Powder coating. Be cool if the thing ended up at 700 gr!

The wad is solidly attached with the #8x1" screw.

Randy

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast