Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: Svarog Russian slug molds?

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    Svarog reached out to me last month and ask what molds I need. I used to be a distributor for them. The only problem is getting it to clear customs with the war.

My last order came up missing about 50 molds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey Blood Trail. Happy New Year!

I appreciate the info. Please DM me if you get any Twister and Italian fire hydrant Svarog molds.

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Zv7XCV5d4

Looks interesting.

Wish you could buy the Brenneke type slugs with the felt and card wad attached.

Scrummy

Quote Originally Posted by Scrumbag View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Zv7XCV5d4

Looks interesting.

Wish you could buy the Brenneke type slugs with the felt and card wad attached.

Scrummy
    That IS interesting. I see the OP of the video never replied to people's requests for the slug mold info.

It would be nice to cast those, and drill through the top to attach it to a BRP-12 wad.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by More_Slugs View Post
    That IS interesting. I see the OP of the video never replied to people's requests for the slug mold info.

It would be nice to cast those, and drill through the top to attach it to a BRP-12 wad.
    I had similar thoughts on location / procurement of slug and attaching wads with screws...

Boolit Grand Master

There is a Russian slug shooting site I found many years ago and there were several different styles of slugs and moulds shown with many moulds similar to the one in that video link.

I made a what I call a push out mould which is similar to the old Ideal Cylindrical moulds and some core moulds. I make a straight ribbed isnert to make a ribbed Brenneke like slug I will post some pics of later. It is quite easy to make if you have a lathe or access to a lathe and much sipler to operate than that multi part mould.

You can fill pretty much any hollow base slug with hot melt glue or something light but solid then drill through and attach a tailwad. I have modified Lee slug moulds to add a center post with a screw hole:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Brenneke-ized!

I have tried several differentr materials and ways oif attaching tailwads. I tried using felt but found that the felt tends to "squirm" as it is punched so has uneven sides to it. I am pretty sure brenneke uses roatary type shears/punches and they use a very dense felt. I have also treied using hot melt glue both pre-cast and cast directly onto the slug which is what I am doing now. Here is a thread I posted during wevelopment work:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ke-ized!/page7

Okay then that is the same thread but takes you to some pices of screwed on tailwads.

The biggest issue in my mind is consistency of the tailwads. If a brush wad and slug are put in a jig and drilled then a screw run in that should provide a consistent joint and aligned tailwad.

The latest results with cast on then trimmed tailwads are looking pretty good. Easier would be to buy brush wads or similar. In fact BPI now sells the tailwads for AQ slugs:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/AQ...info/0151000T/

Not cheap but not too bad either and the AQ slugs I bought and loaded were very accurate. A simple push out mould could be made with the hollow cavity sized to suit these and that should make for an accurate slug. I have shot AQ slugs but not bought any of the tailwads to try. They haven't been available for long as far as I know.

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by More_Slugs View Post

That guy is in my Facebook group, Buck and Slug Reloaders.

Boolit Grand Master

Okay then, I couldn't find that Russian website again. In any case, there were several slug designs and multi piece moulds that had to be taken apart each time a slug was cast. Most of these moulds were "pellet" style moulds with a narrow waist slug. It seemed as though the people making the moulds had pretty good skill so not sure why they wouldn't have made more standard split moulds but they didn't

In any case, if you want to make a ribbed slug mould it isn't hard. I don't have pics of the mould handy but I do have pics of the slugs I made with it and pics of a similar mould but without the core that makes the ribs.

Finned slugs:

Ribbed slugs:

Ideal Cylindrical mould:

My version of a "push out" mould:

The ribbed and finned slugs are cast in a nose pour mould with a slotted core inserted. Making helical ribs would be much trickier but could be done with a milling machine and rotary table.

The push out mould pics are of a base pour HP version with no core but the principle is the same. They are easy to make and work well.

The push out style mould is easier to make and operate that those multi piece moulds in the link in post #322 above. They aren't any harder to use than a standard Lyman HB or HP mould and casting is as fast or faster.

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Okay then, I couldn't find that Russian website again. In any case, there were several slug designs and multi piece moulds that had to be taken apart each time a slug was cast. Most of these moulds were "pellet" style moulds with a narrow waist slug. It seemed as though the people making the moulds had pretty good skill so not sure why they wouldn't have made more standard split moulds but they didn't

In any case, if you want to make a ribbed slug mould it isn't hard. I don't have pics of the mould handy but I do have pics of the slugs I made with it and pics of a similar mould but without the core that makes the ribs.

Finned slugs:

Ribbed slugs:

Ideal Cylindrical mould:

My version of a "push out" mould:

The ribbed and finned slugs are cast in a nose pour mould with a slotted core inserted. Making helical ribs would be much trickier but could be done with a milling machine and rotary table.

The push out mould pics are of a base pour HP version with no core but the principle is the same. They are easy to make and work well.

The push out style mould is easier to make and operate that those multi piece moulds in the link in post #322 above. They aren't any harder to use than a standard Lyman HB or HP mould and casting is as fast or faster.

Longbow
    Would love to get my hands on that.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    Would love to get my hands on that.
    Which? Finned slugs? Ribbed slugs? Mould in the pic?

I should have a few of each slug left I could send. I know I have finned slugs left and I think some thin skirt ribbed slugs. Not sure about the thick skirt ribbed slugs.

The mould in those pics was made for Greg Sappington and he has that. I have a few HP slugs and some solids cast in it.

I didn't get very good accuracy from those slugs. The finned slugs shot not too badly and flew nose on puncjhing "gear" like holes through targets but accuracy was not great. The ribbed slugs didn't do well at all and I really have no idea why. The Breneke'ized version seemed to cock on its way through the focing cone crushing ribs "diagonally" as in one side at the nose and the opposite side at the tail end.

I used the same mould body to cast the finned and ribbed slugs to cast the Nessler clones and the TC HB slugs I sent you before and they both shot quite well from the same gun (my smoothbore). Go figure! I have the mould body but I think I modified the slotted core that made the ribs.

Let me know what it is you want and I may be able to send something.

Longbow

Nice casting, Longbow! I sent you a DM.
    Psalms 91

Boolit Grand Master

I found pics of the Russian slugs and moulds I mentioned above. I cannot find the site again though. These are multi pieve moulds and look quite complicated to make but there are several of this style shown on that site.

I post here for interest:

Different ways of skinning the same cat!

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Hah! 10 pic limit!

Here are the rest:

Super cool! That is the style molds them Turkish boys make.

Boolit Grand Master

I found these many years ago on some Russian hunting site.

Yeah, I guess there is no way to get the shapes they do without a split mould and multi piece in this case but I have to question if it is worth it! A basic Foster slug that is well balanced is a much easier mould to make.

It looks as though a fairly good machinist made these moulds... with maybe the exception of that spiral finned mould anyway. They must be very slow and tedious to cast with and I'd think they'd have to be well pre-heated to get decent slugs since you wouldn't be able to cast fast enough to maintain mould temperature.

The Russians are a tricky bunch and have done things with shotgun slugs like no-one else I know of!

Longbow

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617