Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Large Beef Heart : Slow cooker recipes!

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.

Large Beef Heart : Slow cooker recipes!

Anyone have any slow cooker recipes for a large beef heart!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Moderator Emeritus

I usually thin slice it(like 1/8 inch thick), chicken fry steak batter and fry it. Serve with dips of choice on the side and a huge pile of french fries.

boil it and pickle it

Wife said she cooks it like this:
    Put down a rack of carrots celery and onions to put the heart on.
    Cut it open and remove the veins, valves and actual chambers.
    Seasons with salt, pepper, and she uses Lowery's season salt. (No MSG)
    Put in crock on the veggie rack and put either a dark beer or a good quality burgundy wine, (not cooking wine).
    Cook for 6 to 8 hours on slow.
    sit down and have a very nice dinner.
    We have also cooked it like Mary B does. It is good that way too.

I always ground beef heart with ground beef, makes for leaner hamburgers with a more robust flavor.

Perma-Banned
    boil it, let it cool then slice for sammiches. works for tongues too.

Boolit Master
    Uncle Jimbo:
    I like your wife' recipe! Just what I'm looking at for this monster.
    Guys, I'm quite fond of Deer heart. I slice it up in 1/4" thick strips and season and flour then fry on high for a minute on each side in Cast Fry pan with some butter! Nice & crisp on the outside and rare on the inside! Melts in your mouth .

But this beef heart is close to 4 lbs! I think some acidy wine and 8 + hours of slow cooking is the best way to go!

Thanks I will keep you guys posted posted!
    I wanted to do it up this weekend but I got a blood test coming up on Monday & Don't want to alarm my Doc.

Last year at this time my wife bought me 5 lbs of chicken livers which I lived on for 4 days before my bloodtest!
    Not a good combination
    Jim
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    Uncle Jimbo!
    Spot on! It came out excellent (But I also used 2 cups of red wine) Melt in your mouth for such a big heart: I split into quaters and after 12 hours on low I took it out and cut it into slices & put it all back in the sauce. It was great over brown rice and now I have a bunch for meat for samaches! I just can't believe how tender this massive monster turned out!
    Thanks
    Next will be a large ox tail and a Tongue! Got to get these out of the freezer to make room for this years offals!

Glad you enjoyed it. But when it comes to ox tail or beef tongue, the wife and I can't be of any help. Never had ox tail and the one beef tongue I had was when I was very young. My father cooked it. And to the best of my memory it was good.

Moderator Emeritus

Ox tail is best in stew! Brown them in bacon fat then put into a dutch oven with a bottle of beer, beef stock, red wine etc to cover. I add a chopped onion to deglaze the dutch oven I browned them in then simmer until almost tender. Add carrot and cubed potatoes(or whatever veg tickles your fancy) then simmer until the meat is falling off the bone. Thicken with corn starch or flour and enjoy!

They also make good soup but stew is my all time favorite.

Boolit Master
    MaryB,
    Sounds tasty! I have only made them in a soup before.....Like the stew idea better
    Thanks

Banned

I don't eat organ meat. Don't eat tails tounges ect. My dad loves it all though. What he does for both venison and beef hearts is pressure cook them for about an 1/2 hour. Slice them up and put them in pint canning jars with some onion and a half a bullion cube and fill with water like you normal would. Pressure can them for an hour. He likes it cold for sandwiches and adds a bit of flour and makes gravy and eats in on mashed spuds. While hes eating that ill snack on some back straps thank you.

Moderator Emeritus

Late to the party but i like heart sliced thin and cooked mixed in a bed of stuffing. Something about the sage flavor and heart. I have occasionally rolled it in Italian salad dressing before hand as well.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Made myself a Steak n' cheese ( Heart & cheese) sammich last night with the left overs! Yummm!

Boolit Master

last time I had a heart I cut it open, cleaned the inside out, sliced it thin, put in a pressure cooker for half an hour, took it out put in frying pan with onions, celery, chives and cooked with the juice from the pressure cooking for a few minutes and then enjoyed.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    Today I did up a Beef tongue In my slow cooker. It barely fit But I forced it in the crock knowing it would contract upon cooking.
    On top of it I place a chopped large yellow onion 5 Garlic cloves smashed A chopped stalk of Celery Some dried Piment D'Eppelette chili powder a few Juniper berries a small piece of bay leaf and a tablespoon of tomato paste Then I put 8 oz of water in a measure cup added a few splashes of Worcester sauce and A tablespoon of salt and 4 oz of red wine Then poured it over the whole thing to cover with liquid. After 8 1/2 hours on low.... I took it out and put it on a cutting board and pealed off the outer skin & sliced it up It was like butter! What an excellent piece of beef!
    I'm now reducing down the Liquid and trimmings to make a sauce for future use in a sauce pan on the range.
    So Beef Tongue in a slow cooker works!

BTW I was very successful with the Oxtail in the slow cooker also I followed a recipe on the internet for OXtail & butter bean stew in a crock pot
    That too was excellent!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Uncle Jimbo!
    Spot on! It came out excellent (But I also used 2 cups of red wine) Melt in your mouth for such a big heart: I split into quaters and after 12 hours on low I took it out and cut it into slices & put it all back in the sauce. It was great over brown rice and now I have a bunch for meat for samaches! I just can't believe how tender this massive monster turned out!
    Thanks
    Next will be a large ox tail and a Tongue! Got to get these out of the freezer to make room for this years offals!
    The heart being a big muscle , then the slow cooker would be ideal . Any liquid and 12 hours slow and low will do the trick . After seeing what a slow cooker did with chicken gizzards I'm a believer in it. Keep posting the slow cooker recipes , I just love putting everything in it and coming home to a cooked dinner. Thanks.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"