Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: 1,746 .308" 150 grain swaged bullets from 5.7 x 28 FN brass

In Remembrance

1,746 .308" 150 grain swaged bullets from 5.7 x 28 FN brass

The results from a recent swage party with my buddies PeeWee and Eddie. A testament to BT Snipers quality and ease of use.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	186188

Banned
    very nice what was your core weight?

Banned

if they are full length cases, off the top of my head about 85-90grs.

Banned
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy

The higher temperature you use to anneal, the smaller the ogive. Speaking from experience. Last batch of 1000 5.7x28 I did was at 1000oF for 10 minutes. Point formed in Brian's dies beautifully:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00133.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	186229
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    if they are full length cases, off the top of my head about 85-90grs.
    the core weights are 90 grains. We anneal @800 degrees for 20 min. Our finished bullet weights are 150 grains + or - .01 grains.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

Pee Wee is correct. Core weight is 90 grains. The cores are dead nuts on. The real variation, which we can't control is the weight of the cases.

We're doing our annealing currently in a LEE 20 pound dipper pot which has never seen lead. We're on the second coil, having burned one out already. We only fill the bottom 1/3 of the pot with brass because that's there the coil is. We put a steel cover over the pot during soak, to keep the heat in. We have about 5,000 pcs already annealed and cleaned. However, we have more brass coming and will soon be processing more. Pee Wee says he's gonna look for something more like a commercial annealing furnace.

Any ideas, R.Ph. 380 ??

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

The Lee pot worksheet good, wish I understood about the neck expansion before the first batch. I checked with Hornady, $135 + for a shell plate for the lnl progressive. Guess it's all on the single stage.
    Bill

In Remembrance

You cannot do this swaging on a progressing press without hurting your progressive press.

We had to add a handle extension (total length now 2 feet) to get enough leverage to do this swaging on the RockChucker. I would never beat up on my Dillon 550b that way. The making of swaged bullets is never about speed. It's always about quality. The last two steps, the core seating, and especially the point forming, take a lot of time, about 30 seconds each, per piece. And, the core swaging, where the raw cast cores are made more accurate, takes a lot of force. So, single stage is fine.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

[attach

Well here is the RCBS II That we use, we have 3 of these One at my house and 2 at Dukes. I made the handles out of a piece of round aluminum stock on the lathe. Drilled and taped so it screws right on the RCBS II handle.
    Of course I can't get the image to reverse so sorry. They work great and we have auto eject systems for them also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tmp_3651-20170110_063239515992258.jpg  
    Last edited by Pee Wee; 01-26-2017 at 07:30 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Banned
    l.o.l.

Boolit Master

I use the progressive for case prep. For point forming I have a sufficient swaging modified single stages.

Boolit Man
    I use a "Rapid Fire Table Top" furnace to do my annealing. <https://tabletopfurnace.com/> They are a bit more expensive, but have a PIC controller and will reach 2000* or anywhere up to that and will hold that temp. They are designed for metal clay firing, but it work great for me.

Banned
    How hot do you need to get them? I heard you can use your kitchen stove on "clean" cycle to anneal.

Find a kiln and hook up a pid! Payed 100 for the kiln and I think 85 for the pid plus wiring stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    Pee Wee is correct. Core weight is 90 grains. The cores are dead nuts on. The real variation, which we can't control is the weight of the cases.

We're doing our annealing currently in a LEE 20 pound dipper pot which has never seen lead. We're on the second coil, having burned one out already. We only fill the bottom 1/3 of the pot with brass because that's there the coil is. We put a steel cover over the pot during soak, to keep the heat in. We have about 5,000 pcs already annealed and cleaned. However, we have more brass coming and will soon be processing more. Pee Wee says he's gonna look for something more like a commercial annealing furnace.

Any ideas, R.Ph. 380 ??

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post

Any ideas, R.Ph. 380 ??
    Duke, here's what I used and it worked great. Turkey fryer burner at 68,000BTU and a 12" cast iron Dutch Oven:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00111.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	186314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00112.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	186315

I held it at 1000oF for 10 minutes and all the brass came out a beautiful copper color. Soft and points up as nicely as the commercial jackets with a much smaller ogive than I could get annealing at 700oto 800oF. The Dutch oven was $59.00 and the burner was $63.00. Here's my write up for my forum: http://www.bersachat.com/forums/show...-FROM-5-7-X-28 . I'm hopping to get more interested in swaging there, too.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00134.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	186316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00107.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	186317

Bill
    Last edited by R.Ph. 380; 01-27-2017 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Add image of burner
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Buddy
    .01 grains

You must have a better scale than I do. That seems a bit of a stretch considering the brass itself isn't THAT consistent.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
    You must have a better scale than I do. That seems a bit of a stretch considering the brass itself isn't THAT consistent.[/COLOR]
    Ya' kin git purdy durn klose: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00119 (1).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	186339

Little Chinese laser temp sensor only cost around $39.00 but checks our with my CharBroil Grill Thermometer. I think the tools I've put together will do the job.:

Name:	DSC00118 (1).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	186340 Once the Core Swage Die from BT Sniper is set, Doesn't vary much.

Name:	DSC00125 (1).jpg 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	186341 these are within 0.1 to 0.2 grn. Just have to match them up with the right jacket

Name:	DSC00098_NEW.jpg 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	186342 Got just a few of those. Another 2K 5.7x28 coming in this week. Got 2K last week.
    Last edited by R.Ph. 380; 01-27-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by R.Ph. 380 View Post
    Duke, here's what I used and it worked great. Turkey fryer burner at 68,000BTU and a 12" cast iron Dutch Oven:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00111.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	186314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00112.jpg 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	186315

I held it at 1000oF for 10 minutes and all the brass came out a beautiful copper color. Soft and points up as nicely as the commercial jackets with a much smaller ogive than I could get annealing at 700oto 800oF. The Dutch oven was $59.00 and the burner was $63.00. Here's my write up for my forum: http://www.bersachat.com/forums/show...-FROM-5-7-X-28 . I'm hopping to get more interested in swaging there, too.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00134.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	186316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00107.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	186317

Bill
    Hey, interesting I may have to give this a try, got all that stuff just have to set it up.
    Thanks for the info
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER