Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Political Correctness

Pistol Political Correctness

OK........I am done with this 1911 nonsense. I grew up in Texas where everybody talked about the "45 Automatic" pistol, or a "Colt 45 Automatic". Nobody ever called it a 1911 anything. They also take clips. I am going old school from here on out and am through with this pistol political correctness.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Man
    That may have worked back when you were growing up in the 1930s but there are new guns out now. "45 Automatic" easily describes the Kriss Vector or MAC-10. "Colt 45 Automatic" is also very limiting because it seems every single gun company that puts their foot in the door makes some 1911 platform variant. I think people are more so looking for the precision of language rather than trying to censor it like the goal of political correctness.

But in all seriousness I am with you. I am done with the "car" and "automobile" nonsense. I grew up in the 30s as well and we called them motor buggies and they ran on petrol.
    "America: The only country that matters. If you want to experience other "cultures", use an atlas or ham radio" - Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyHev View Post
    I think people are more so looking for the precision of language rather than trying to censor it like the goal of political correctness.

But in all seriousness I am with you. I am done with the "car" and "automobile" nonsense. I grew up in the 30s as well and we called them motor buggies and they ran on petrol.
    Two responses...

1. I am not an engineer, so pizz on precision. If folks don't understand what I am talking about, they can ask question or just be confused.

2. In 1940s Texas, they were cars and truck and ran on gas. They still are and still do.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Man
    The point of communication is to relay meaning. If you choose words deliberately that do not adequately relay meaning, then you are deliberately not communicating effectively. That being said, this is America and you are free to be as confusing as you want with your speech.
    "America: The only country that matters. If you want to experience other "cultures", use an atlas or ham radio" - Ron Swanson

Boolit Master
    I remember when I was first informed by a young man that it was a magazine not a clip . My response was do you read about it or shoot it , I do know the difference I have used a few old military rifles .

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyHev View Post
    The point of communication is to relay meaning. If you choose words deliberately that do not adequately relay meaning, then you are deliberately not communicating effectively. That being said, this is America and you are free to be as confusing as you want with your speech.
    Thank you for that freedom. I might say, you are taking my original post more seriously than it was intended to be. It was light hearted in it's intent, not meant to be a heavy statement about communication.

Just start telling people you shoot an 11.43x23. While they are cross eyed and drooling, you can walk away.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    I remember when I was first informed by a young man that it was a magazine not a clip . My response was do you read about it or shoot it , I do know the difference I have used a few old military rifles .
    Yes, these are just a few of the mechanical gadgets we use. If were were required to use exact technical/engineering terms about all of the gadgets we use, none of us could do that. I see no reason to force that level of precision on ordinary conversation. Now if you are giving a presentation to a bunch of technical folks, that is another thing altogether.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Thank you for that freedom. I might say, you are taking my original post more seriously than it was intended to be. It was light hearted in it's intent, not meant to be a heavy statement about communication.
    I was referencing this gem, not your first post.
    I am not an engineer, so pizz on precision. If folks don't understand what I am talking about, they can ask question or just be confused.
    Also I take nothing seriously, especially on the internet.

Que tal, amigo? Things must really be slow down in Texas today. I'll have to go with 1911, and here's why:

These are ".45 automatics", but are not Colts:

Attachment 186159Attachment 186160

These look similar to a Colt .45 Automatic, but are not Colts and the parts don't interchange, but nevertheless are .45 Automatics:

Attachment 186162Attachment 186164

These are Colt .45s, but are not automatics:
    Attachment 186167Attachment 186168

And then, there is the Colt Double Eagle, a Colt .45 Automatic, but not a 1911. Don't have one, so no photo.

These are 1911-type .45 Automatics, but not Colts:

Attachment 186169Attachment 186170

Ahhhhhh.......at last! The real thing! A Colt .45 Automatic!

Attachment 186171

Your Honor, I rest my case.

P.S. I vote for "cars" and "gas".

Der Geb,

Not neither! You are not from around here are you! None of them are 45 Automatics, they are just automatics chambered for the 45 ACP round. I should think you would know that.

Boolit Master
    awe hell!......i drive a flivver...now what am i supposed to call it!

Boolit Master
    this is a colt .45 1911 auto pistol....do not be fooled by imitations!
    made october 1914

So do we need to call a .38 snubby "a barrel length challenged 9 mm revolving pistol"?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Ya, you Texan's also call a Bismarck, a jelly donut - that's just WRONG! I drink pop, not soda and my 45 ACP is a semi-auto 1911. AND pearl is not beer - I really don't know what the hell it is but it's disgusting. but I will drink it when that's all there is - Pearl light is even worse, if that would be possible.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You guys all have too much time on your hands...

Attachment 186175Attachment 186176Attachment 186177Attachment 186178
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

What about my grandfather's old Colt Government Model that I inherited? While it was made in the same plant with the same tools, and mechanically identical, it's not technically a 1911, since it was made for commercial sale and not military issue. I better not call it a 1911 because technically it is not.

I'm with you on the clip thing. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine. My grandfather called a pistol magazine a clip, as did many or most of his era. Yes, I know the difference and I know ALL the arguments and have seen all the photos/memes. Any moment now someone will post one.

I just wish we could lighten up a little, maybe stop having a Pavlovian response whenever we hear clip in the wrong context. Yes, I also realize that I can't win this one.

Boolit Master
    Der Geb,

Not neither! You are not from around here are you! None of them are 45 Automatics, they are just automatics chambered for the 45 ACP round. I should think you would know that.
    haha you got him there! I'll go along with it, Texans stick together.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	186181
    A true 45 automatic

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    If a "colt" 1911 was made by Singer is it still a Colt 45 automatic?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast