ADvertise hereWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is a good fishing smell to put on bait or lures?

I am pretty sure back east they have been using anise to catch spring perch for a long long time. Small jig, small fold of cloth threaded onto the hook, and a drop of fresh scent with every fish caught.

I know my dad used it in darkhouse spearing. But if it was just to attract perch or what I don't know. But he would take a scrap of cloth, maybe 2" square, wrap it in a piece of wire so it would sink. And put a half dozen drops of Anise on it. Then drop it down to the bottom.

Maybe it just covered up the human scent. Maybe it attracted more perch and batfish to the hole he was fishing.
    But he had awefully good luck at consistently getting pike from 5 to 15 lbs.

But I also know he had patience, fished slower. He also had a sense for when a big one was hanging back, watching.
    By being slow and patient he could ussusally finnesse them in.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Ever read a can of WD-40?

"Contains Petroleum Distillates" Yeah, like what you put in your car to run it, gasoline, naptha, benzene, all that good stuff.

Yeah lets put that on our hooks and introduce more of that stuff into the waters and the fish I eat. Sounds good.

Sigh, sorry, pet peeve of mine. THINK first. Read the label.

There are many attractants, but nothing for crappies as good as a live wiggling minnow. Has the right shape, smell and everything.
    Until 25 years ago (if memory served) WD-40 was an outstanding scent for bait and lures but the formula changed somehow and it stopped working.
    Smelly Jelly in crawfish flavor is excellent as is shrimp oil. Garlic and salt odors seem to be particularly good for trout in Power Bait.

Boolit Master
    If you use worms from a manure pile will get you alot of pan fish. Alot of fish go after them. It is not how big the worm is it is the scent the worms give off. As for trout I found that for the stock trout the state let out . Roster tail that is yellow and black spots with a black small feather tie to the triple hook, same as with the white and and black spots with a small black feather on the hook also, both in 1/8 oz . then you have also I do not what it is call ,it is a spinner lure with 2 brass blades like and a small triple hook with also a black feather on it. It is not a big lure .the 3 lure works on trout .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12