Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
PBcastco RotoMetals2

Thread: Leementing Documentation w/Photos

Moderator Emeritus

Leementing Documentation w/Photos

I have posted as complete a set of photos as I could showing the steps of drilling and tapping a mold. The pages can be found at:

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/Mol...umentation.pdf
    Last edited by wiljen; 11-23-2011 at 11:01 PM.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Those are some of the best, step by step, directions I've seen.

Thank you for this one!!

Richard
    Last edited by Meatco1; 06-28-2008 at 06:31 PM.
    Cat, the other white meat!!

Boolit Master
    I keep getting "Page does not exist"....

Well, on my laptop, anyway. On my Desktop it shows up.....
    Last edited by Tom W.; 06-29-2008 at 01:00 AM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Yes, they were. I did not order because I only have 2 Lee Molds and don't anticipate buying many more of them. Life going the way it does, however, there is a possibility I will need that operation done occasionally, therefore, there is an opening, a need if you will, for someone to pick up a little pocket money by doing this service for me or some other unhandy caster. Maybe somewhere on this vast website Ken can designate a place, a bulletin board, for those who offer various services to register. I know Buckshot does several little jobs for people and I'm sure there are others. Let's face it; some people can do things better than others.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I keep getting "Page does not exist"....

Well, on my laptop, anyway. On my Desktop it shows up.....
    Not sure why, I just tried the link again without a problem. I did link it from the main page on castpics so you might try going to castpics then navigating the menu and see if that works any better for ya.

It is the last option under the molds section if navigating the menus.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    Yes, they were. I did not order because I only have 2 Lee Molds and don't anticipate buying many more of them. Life going the way it does, however, there is a possibility I will need that operation done occasionally, therefore, there is an opening, a need if you will, for someone to pick up a little pocket money by doing this service for me or some other unhandy caster. Maybe somewhere on this vast website Ken can designate a place, a bulletin board, for those who offer various services to register. I know Buckshot does several little jobs for people and I'm sure there are others. Let's face it; some people can do things better than others.
    +1 on this for me too. Thanks wiljen for an excellent post. The step by step is great and I have saved it for future reference on my machine. Soon I'll need a bigger harddrive or to save all the stuff I have saved to a DVD or CD.
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master
    Works on the laptop now... Wonder if it was just some Cyber-Goblins????
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master
    There are no photos in the PDF, at least they don't show up for me. I must have set up procedures for the PDF file. All the text is there but no photos. This was on the Leementing a mold by "BuckSnot" oops I mean Buck Shot. Can anyone help?

BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Moderator Emeritus

I updated the link in the first post. Try it now.

Boolit Master
    The link works fine. My problem is that the PDF file doesn't show any of the photos that "Buck Shot" is refering to in the article, "Leementing a Mold". Is there some kinda setting I'm not using to make the photos show in the article? Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, Will. Guess I'll just have to use my imagination to see the photos by what he's saying in the text of the article. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Moderator Emeritus

Did you try that first link in this thread? That is not the article by Buckshot, it is one I wrote and illustrated that covers the same things. If you cant see the photos in it either then I would say updating your version of Acrobat reader to the newest version would be the next trick.

http://get.adobe.com/reader/download/

Boolit Master
    Thanks Will,
    Yeah, I can see all the photos in this article and a very good article it is. I think I like this method better 'cause you aren't using a hand drill to spin the boolit in the mould. I think the 1/2" nut would be the better way to go on this. Slower is better for this application. Thanks again, Will, for your update. Hope ya had a great Thanksgiving holiday. BC

These are great. I have a .38 RNFP mold that will not keep the pins in place. I was just going to try to stake them but his looks more, shall we say elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinheaver View Post
    These are great. I have a .38 RNFP mold that will not keep the pins in place. I was just going to try to stake them but his looks more, shall we say elegant.
    "Got yourself a Monday/Friday mold…huh?"

Knock the offending pins out carefully. lay them flat on a metal surface ( like a pencil laying on a table ) and use a mediun/small tooth flat bastard file placed on top of the pin and roll the pin while applying heavy pressure. This imprints the files cutting edges to the sides of the pin. It cuts into the outer surface of the pin scarring the outer diameter and making the pin fatter and the surface of that pin will no longer move easily in that dies oversize hole.
    Re-assemble the die carefully and go back to doing what we are suppose to be able to do with these things.

God!…How I miss American made products that were made right…( so long as it wasn't made on a Monday or Friday! )

Good read. Thanks!
    Non satis scire

If you would cut some "Hacksaw"grooves into the bullet & carefully fill those with lapping compound,you will find that the mold halves will close completely,then it will lap accurately, I have done a few in my 81 yrs.

Boolit Man
    That is an excellent tutorial. I try to stay away from the LEE molds with the newer style blocks though. I bought two & both of them literally fell apart. The alignment pins fell out & the staked pins holding the mold blocks on to the handles came loose. The older style I still have & use often.

Banned
    Thanks, this makes perfect sense. the "regular way" you put cutting compound on the bullet , close the mold and it squirts out and stops the mold from fully closing. This way should speed things up. I was thinking about casting the bullet out of harder lead/alloy so it would hold it's shape better.

Banned
    Lapping a mold:
    I just discovered that if you apply the polishing/cutting compound to between the mold lube grooves with a Q-Tip, wiping off the excess, you will only enlarge the portion that contacts the rifling and not enlarge the nose which may affect going into battery in some firearms due to the enlarged nose