Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 jap sporter

6.5 jap sporter

Got a 6.5 jap carbine (type 38) last weekend and using the group buy mold from awhile back I plan on working up some loads for it. I don't have any brass just yet but I plan on making brass from 22-250 as well as .270 winchester range pick up brass. I'll turn down the "belt" i get after running them through a die on the lathe so it should be a pretty clean case. Somebody recommended rechambering it to 6.5-06 but the rifle being a carbine I think I'll hold off on that for now. Though I would like to barrel one of my Mauser actions in 6.5-06 but thats down the road some.

Anybody have 6.5 Jap dies that are collecting dust they might be willing to sell before I bite the proverbial bullet and buy lee dies from midway?
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master

I own a couple of type 38s in 6.5 Jap. The easiest brass to convert is 220 Swift. Its just a neck up and a trim to length. Another cartridge is 35 Remington. It is a two step neck down operation .35-.30-.264 and the brass is the right length. Only problem I had with this brass is that the REmington brass I used bulged more than I liked with full loads.

HTH

Bruce

Boolit Master

Is your 38 original or has it been to the butcher shop. If original I would like to encourage you to keep it that way. Original military weapons of that erra are becoming more valuable and scarce every day. I agree with Bruce use Swift brass.

Skeet1

The stock has been cut up bad and the mum along with the majority of the markings have been ground off.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.grafs.com/metallic/705
    Graf's has it listed at $39.99 a hundred, primed or not.

Boolit Master

I have a ~representative~ Type 38 long rifle. Bought a single box of Norma ammo so I could say I fired it and had the first-hand experience. Interesting rifle. A loooong rifle.

So after shooting I'm looking at the target thinking, dang, that thing put three slugs right next to each other twice. How cool is that?

When I got home it occurred to me that *one* bullet keyholing looked just like 3 bullets side by side.

I'm going to try the Lee 170gr .267" and see what it does.

Dutch

Boolit Master

6.5 jap deer rifle- Need a Lee mold!!

First deer rifle my father converted used a Herter stock metal painted flat black I was 12 now 52. It had a 16 in original barrel. Weaver 2.5 scope. Crude but effective. Cant find a Lee mold for it!!! I use Norma cases (about 40 yrs old) or simply make out of 220 Swift brass A varmint wildcat uses a 6.5 jap case necked to 6mm I forget the name but very efficent case for a 6mm about 3650 fps with a 70g bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Midsouth Shooters Supply has the Lee 6.5mm "Cruise missle"; Lee does not sell it retail. It only cost a dollar or so more than any other Lee single cavity rifle mold.

Sometimes Midsouth is back-ordered. People complain about that alot. When I was looking for one, it was backordered. I simply ordered it, and waited less than a month.

They may now even offer it in a two cavity, I'm not sure.

Sean

Boolit Master

Mold

Mid south doesnt know about the Lee 6.5 mold Got a number? Rick

Sizer, gas checks and dies are on their way....
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    Mid south doesnt know about the Lee 6.5 mold Got a number? Rick
    http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...u=000066.5SWED

Mine should be here tomorrow. Yes, its a 2 cavity.

Dutch
    Last edited by Dutchman; 07-02-2008 at 04:47 PM.

Boolit Master

Thanks Dutchman

Have Midsouth e mail me when the Lee Cruise Missle is in stock. Midsouth did not know what I was looking for Thanks for the link. Now I need some loads without GC. I will try Unique red dot etc I guess Rick

Brass is primed and ready, bullets are gc'ed and lubed...I need a fireforming load for 2400 or unique even for the 129gr group buy mold. I need to just blow the shoulder out a little bit on the modified 22-250 cases. Lyman book says 14gr of 2400 but I'm thinking 10 or so as its a carbine and i just need to fireform cases first
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Bub
    MidSouth Shooters Supply got the DOUBLE CAVITY REPRODUCTION 6.5MM SWEDISH 170GR MOULD again in stock.

Boolit Master

Since it has long since been modified I would suggest 260 or 6.5X257. Many have really poor chambers and eat expensive brass.

Check the 260, I think it will clean yp the 6.5x50 Chamber.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Since it has long since been modified I would suggest 260 or 6.5X257. Many have really poor chambers and eat expensive brass.

Check the 260, I think it will clean yp the 6.5x50 Chamber.
    Trouble with the 260 is it's a much stubbier and fatter cartridge then the original 6.5 Jap and it takes extensive work on the feed rails to get it to feed right, alone even hold more then 3-4 cartridges. I would suggest redoing it to 6.5x55 Swede.

Joe

Heh, Old thread, I've been making brass now for my 6.5 out of 270 win, easy to do with a lathe and some time. yes there are cases I could use that I wouldn't have to lathe turn some but I don't have massive amounts of those on hand. 270 win I pick up a few hundred a year at the range and use it for such projects like this.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Mold

Rechambering

I have re-chambered several 6.5's to 6.5x57 and you don't have to touch the feed rails. All you have to do is run 7x57 brass or 8x57 through a 6.5x57 die and you are ready. riceone.

I have 2 that have been rechambered to 6.5x257. They feed better than an original I have. I can see why the japanese in the movies were always fussing with the bolt in their rifles. Mine would have got a soldier killed while trying to chamber a round.

Boolit Master

MS.

Regarding your rechambered 6.5x257 rifles, how many of those fit in the magazine?

Never mind. I used some 257 Roberts cases I have in the ammo box. The magazine fits 5 easily.

Bruce
    Last edited by bruce drake; 11-11-2009 at 10:22 PM.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast