Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x57

In Remembrance

After my pistols are 3 rifle calibers I cast and shoot the most, a .416, a .338 and the 8mm.Robert

Boolit Master

nice thing about a Mauser is when I get a flubbed up 06 or 270 shell I run it through my form and trim die and have another 8mm brass. Great gun too.

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Every time waksupi or some others start talking 358, I think I might have a real need for one . . .

THEN

I remember the 8X57 in the safe and realize I have something almost as good.

It does not get shot enough, so there certainly is no need for a 358.
    I have it in reverse. I've no need for the 8x57 since I have a .358! Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    8x57 is a great round,lee mold boolits shoot great in my Mausers great shooters cast works much better then j-words in mine

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Same mold here and I powder coat, then put some 4198 behind it. Initial read is good accuracy and absent the harsher recoil of factory ammo a real enjoyable rifle to plink with. Bit more powder and I would think an excellent hunting round. Don't get me wrong I really like NOE molds but the Lee stubby bore ride 175 grain is a very nice bullet with the mold available for small amount of cash. Doubt you will wear mold out anytime soon feeding a bolt action rifle. I damaged my mold and liked it enough to replace it.
    Cast up almost 400 boolits in the last two days. About done with my 1st package of gas checks. 1000 rounds in 5 months. Winter to boot!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    My m48 is a tack driver with 200gr accubonds. I had to put on a different front sight blade as it was shooting 12" high out of the wrapper. I had a scary incident once when I was shooting my garand and the Mauser at the range. One 8mm round ended up on my enbloc clip and got stuck in the chamber prior to going to battery. It didn't go off but holy cow was that an eye opener. Not sure how I missed that since the 8mm is shorter but accidents due happen.

The old Ewell Cross gun store in Fort Worth had the pieces of a 1903 Springfield mounted on a wall display that someone managed to fire a 8x57 in. I always looked at it in wonder. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    My step father was certain that a 98 Mauser with a stepped barrel was an 8x57. Had a custom maple stock sized for my mother made for it, procured 8x57 dies, brass, bullets, etc. and created handloads to be fired in it. After firing, he had a .308 hole in the target and an 8x57 case with no neck. After determining that what he really had was a .30-06, the rifle went on to make small groups for my mother with no ill effects to action or barrel.

Boolit Master
    My Mauser is by far and away my most accurate rifle with cast.
    16 gr. 2400 and the basic Lee 175 gr. boolit, beagled out to .324"
    has produced the best offhand group I've ever shot at 50 yds, under 2"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12