RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: what else does hs-6 good for?

Banned

what else does hs-6 good for?

in a couple of months, i will buy a 23" MGM barrel in 500 linebaugh. i also decided to use 450gr lfn gc. i'm going to try 2400 but if it recoils(i'm wishing that it only goes like an '06 with a 180gr factory bullet) i want to try hs-6. in a revolver, hs-6 IS the bees knees when it comes to recoil. since i am disabled(right arm/leg), it "behooves" (hey, its a word i haven't used since i was in high school) me to at least to try hs-6.

so i'm wondering what(rifle/revolver) else does hs-6 do?

(44 mag/ 44 sp revolver, 30-30, 30-40 krag, 444 marlin and 45-70 are the ones that can use hs-6)

Banned
    side note....

i always loved revolvers and the 500L was kinda my dream. since i had my stroke, the 500L revolver has gone away. since then, i have liked a 50-70 springfield trapdoor and someday i will buy it. so i'll have to adjust to a 500L. i know a 500L is the same as a 50-70 gov, but...........

in my mind(please, you don't want to go there!!!!) 500L can do roughly 3" at 100 yards(3 shots). it will only kill a deer/black bear at 100-125 yards max., but a 50 or less yards is about all. the velocity should be around 1200-1300fps but it can go lower(1100fps) and higher(1500fps). i still have to contact MGM to see if they can do a both a skinner rear sight and a skinner front sight. and when i get older(eyes are great now, i don't know what they be) i would like the barrel to do a scope.

since i've gone to a high plains stock( HIGH PLAINS GUNSTOCKS - Encore and Contender stocks and pistol grips and Winchester model 12 stocks ) my gun should weigh approx. 7.5- 8lbs. recoil should be on scale of an '06 shooting a 180gr bullet. that is doable. it will be awhile till i get brass, reloading dies....

Boolit Buddy
    I use it for practice loads in 9mm. Have not tried it in anything else.

Gus Youmans

Boolit Buddy
    I have used hs-6 in .327 federal ,9mm, .40sw, .45acp, an 10mm with good results in all but the .327 federal

Boolit Master
    I've used it with cast bullets only in .38 SP, .44 SP, .45 ACP, etc.; probably used more in .38 SP than in any other cartridge. Some data recommends magnum primers with HS-6.

Boolit Master

I know you didn't ask about shotguns but it is a popular powder for slug loading.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

I know lots of people like HS6, but I never bought a second pound of it. It was ok in 357 mag for medium heavy loads, but in 9mm luger and 9x23 Winchester I had loads of unburned granules all over the inside of my pistols.

I plan to try Power Pistol and Longshot when my last keg of Hercules Blue Dot is used up.

Boolit Buddy

I like it in the .45 ACP had great consistency with it!!
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Perma-Banned

44special and 45colt...don't use it much, but it does work well.

Boolit Master

I use HS-6 in 44 Mag midrange loads, 1000-1150fps. It does very well in my SBH and SRH.

That's the only caliber I've used it in, but plan to try it in 357Mag loads.

Boolit Master
    I used it in the 45 ACP with the 230 Grn RN bullets in a Dillon 450 progressive loader. A working load of HS6 is a case full in the 45 ACP so there is NO chance of getting an overload in the case.

About the only powder mistake you can make with HS6 in the 45 ACP is no powder at all.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    I've found it to be very useful as a replacement for Unique. Back when powders were hard to come by I tried some in a 44 Spl instead of Unique and bingo, just what I was looking for. Went back and bought the other 5 pounds, am a happy camper. FWIW, works great in 38/357, 45 acp and medium loadings in 44 mag.

Boolit Master
    MY powder in 44spl. Does well in 357 also.