Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x57

8x57

I'm a 45 guy I like my 45s. But I shot my 8X57 for the first time today and I'm getting set to maybe have a new favorite. I can't comment on the accuracy of my rifle yet but all else seems like I have a new favorite. My cast rifle has been a 700 Remington 300 whisper but this Mauser I've got it shoots just close to the 300 and I might dump the 300. So I guess the 45s will still dominate my pistols but my go to gun is looking to change.

If you really like 45 you could stay 45 with that mauser they make some conversions. They look pretty cool, but I think some have feed issues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turkwhite.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    The only one I have is the LEE 175 RN. Sweet shooting round. 19 gr, 4227 gives just under 1600 and accurate. I need to bump it a little so it will configure better with the mauser sights.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

The 8x57 is one of the world's best cartridges and the Grandaddy of many. You'll like it. It was my only big game rifle as a young man and from prairie dogs to elk it gets it done. With hand loads of course. Best, Thomas.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The 8x57 is one of the world's best cartridges and the Grandaddy of many. You'll like it. It was my only big game rifle as a young man and from prairie dogs to elk it gets it done. With hand loads of course. Best, Thomas.
    Agreed.It is my second of the top chamberings for cast bullets.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Yes one of my favorites also! I think it is under rated by many, I took an 1100 pound bison with cast, DRT. Yesterday I was shooting my Turk mauser, love those guns.
    Charter Member #148

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Drumroll please! And your first choice? Beast, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Not my prettiest rifle, but it rides with me daily in the tractor cab. My buddy who owned a pawn shop got a call from one of his distributors asking if he could use some Turk mausers with slightly cracked stocks for $25 , delivered !! I think we ordered a dozen. Ammo was $99 for 1400 rds delivered.Should have ordered a truck load but we thought the surplus bargains would last forever.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Yes one of my favorites also! I think it is under rated by many, I took an 1100 pound bison with cast, DRT. Yesterday I was shooting my Turk mauser, love those guns.

I got my Turkish Mauser out of the back of the Safe last Friday. Thoughts were to do some barrel measurements before casting. Local club has a shoot each month where Rifle has to be 1950 or earlier manufacture & iron sights. As shooting is at 100 yards off hand, thought that realllllly long barrel could be an advantage. Thanks for spurring the process with your comments.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    What's first?? .30 cal?? Bigger??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    What's first?? .30 cal?? Bigger??

Shiloh
    Everybody knows OL Waksupi is a 358 Win NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT!
    Charter Member #148

I knew he was smart. I knew it.

Boolit Master

I used the group buy boolit, but I am betting 21.5 grains of 4759 (or therebouts) and the Lee boolit (.325) may provide some entertainment possibilities.

Gonna work on some 10B101 loads here shortly also.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 02-17-2017 at 10:49 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    I got my Turkish Mauser out of the back of the Safe last Friday. Thoughts were to do some barrel measurements before casting. Local club has a shoot each month where Rifle has to be 1950 or earlier manufacture & iron sights. As shooting is at 100 yards off hand, thought that realllllly long barrel could be an advantage. Thanks for spurring the process with your comments.

Are you going to the Sunday shoots at Columbia Falls? I'm there, too! Next Sunday starts at noon. I was at the sporting rifle match on the 22nd.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Thar ya go!

Boolit Master
    My M48 is really accurate with jacketed, theres always to many other things I need to buy an 8mm mold for it. I know better than to mess with a Lee mold, so its $80, plus a sizer and expander to go with it. But would imagine it would shoot cast just as good as jacketed.

Not so sure about buying up a big stockpile of the at the time cheap Turkish surplus. Even not using it mine is slowly dwindling. The poor quality brass splits sitting in a can. I have to go thru them here and there to sort out the bad ones. I save the powder and bullet to load in good brass.

Boolit Master
    I got one of the Yugo Mausers from Classic last year and bought several boxes of Privi ammo to go with it, only to find out that the ammo will not feed out of the magazine. It's round nosed bullet stuff.

Anyone got a suggestion for a mold guaranteed to feed from the mag?

I have an ancient Ideal single-cavity spitzer-type boolit mold that seems to shoot good but one-at-a-time casting just ain't my style if ya know whut I mean?

Boolit Grand Master
    As started, mine is the LEE 175 gr. RN. less than $20 plush shipping. Cheap and it shoots very well.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/710...dius-gas-check
    Well, mine was less than $20

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    As started, mine is the LEE 175 gr. RN. less than $20 plush shipping. Cheap and it shoots very well.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/710...dius-gas-check
    Well, mine was less than $20

Shiloh
    Same mold here and I powder coat, then put some 4198 behind it. Initial read is good accuracy and absent the harsher recoil of factory ammo a real enjoyable rifle to plink with. Bit more powder and I would think an excellent hunting round. Don't get me wrong I really like NOE molds but the Lee stubby bore ride 175 grain is a very nice bullet with the mold available for small amount of cash. Doubt you will wear mold out anytime soon feeding a bolt action rifle. I damaged my mold and liked it enough to replace it.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Every time waksupi or some others start talking 358, I think I have a real need for one . . .

THEN

I remember the 8X57 in the safe and realize I have something almost as good, maybe even better.

It does not get shot enough, so there certainly is no need for a 358.

The old 175 grain GB boolit pushed down the barrel by 21.5 grains of 4759 does quite well.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 02-12-2017 at 12:26 AM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast