Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Goex Cartridge VS FF or FFF

Boolit Master

Goex Cartridge VS FF or FFF

I have a lot of Goex Cartridge grade and was wondering how the granule size compared with FF or FFF grade powders. Been stuffing a 45-60 case with 51 gr of cartridge and quite a bit of compression. I would like to put in more powder, but don't know which to buy? The only other powder I have at the moment is Swiss 1 1/2F.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Swiss 1 1/2 is the go to powder for most people and works with about everything I've tried.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Cartridge would best be classed as a 2 f powder. It will give some good accuracy, but isn't real good on the velocity end of things.
    If you're looking at something newer, 62 gr. of Olde Eynsford 2 f shoots very well in the 40-65.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Goex Cartridge isn't made any more. Grain size was slightly larger than FFg but its real advantage was more consistent grain size.

Swiss 1 1/2 is a favorite and grain size is slightly less than Goex FFg. Again, the real advantage is very consistent grain size. I may be wrong but I believe the Swiss powders also have an extra coating of graphite. However, I find Swiss powders to be significantly sootier than Goex except in a warm, dry environment.

Olde Eynsford is a new Goex powder that is gaining in popularity. The FFg is actually finer grained than Goex FFFg and very consistent in grain size. It is significantly less expensive than Swiss but slightly more expensive than regular Goex. I've been experimenting with OE and like it quite a bit. A volume of Swiss 1 1/2 weighs 53 grains while the same volume of OE weighs 54.4 grains. I'm finding that cleanup is really good too. A lot better than Swiss or regular Goex. It appears Goex has come up with a powder formula to compete against Swiss and has done a really good job.

Generally regular Goex likes heavy compression. I once read someplace that optimum performance was at 65 lbs of compression pressure. A lot of people I've talked with swear it won't perform properly until you get around 0.25 inch of compression.
    Swiss does not like to be heavily compressed. At least that's what I've been told many, many, many times by people with far more experience than me. I've also found this to be true in testing 45 Colt, 45-70 and 38-55 loads. However, I have not found a satisfactory load for the 45 Colt or 45-70 with Swiss and only just found one for the 38-55 with 0.17 inch compression.
    Olde Eynsford is the new kid on my shelf and testing has only just begun. All I can say so far is that 45-70 results are looking very promising.
    Hope this helps some. Good shootin'

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have a lot of Goex Cartridge grade and was wondering how the granule size compared with FF or FFF grade powders.
    Goex 2Fg, 99NO03B
    20 mesh - 79.2% retained
    30 mesh - 20.8% retained

Goex 3Fg, 99JY20C
    70.8% retained on a 30 mesh.
    26.2% retained on a 40 mesh.
    3.0% thru 40 mesh.

Goex Cartridge – (0542) 07MY04B - May 2004
    20 mesh – 98.46% retained
    30 mesh – 01.54% retained
    Through – Trace

Goex Cartridge – (05-37) 02OC07B
    12 mesh – 0.62% retained
    14 mesh – 0.03% retained
    20 mesh – 97.54% retained
    30 mesh – 01.70% retained
    Through – 0.11%

Regards
    John

Boolit Mold
    Good thread. I have been shooting Goex all my life mostly in muskets. Now I have begun to shoot PP in my BPC rifles and have wanted to experiment with different brands.
    This helps guide my powder orders.
    Thanks!

I use 3fff Goex in my 45-60 and with my drop tube I get 59gr. in it with a little crush and using a 300gr cast Boolit

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the help. I'll have to call around and see what kinds I can buy locally. Once I find out what I need, we'll mail order a bulk amount. Used to be a 2 hour drive and I could by a case at a time, but they're now out of business.

Boolit Master
    I keep going back to John Boy's post. Does 20 mesh have larger or smaller holes than 30 mesh? If "A" powder retains 78% on a 20 mesh but "B" retains 70%, which is the larger grained powder? I'm normally not quite so thick, but this confused me some.
    Also, I weighed a 60gr volume of both powders. The Swiss 1 1/2f came out 4.6 gr heavier than the Cartridge grade. So can I assume the 1 1/2 has finer grains so It packs better?
    Both of these powders show more consistant grain size than the Goex standard ff that I use to use in my 12 gauge.
    Last edited by Irascible; 01-31-2017 at 12:18 AM.

Boolit Master
    well, I finally found a web sight to tell me about mesh sizes. 20 has bigger holes than 30, but not much. Thus powder "A" would be larger grains than powder "B" from the above post.
    Last edited by Irascible; 02-04-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    Interesting, I went to every gun shop within 30 miles and was told "The fire dept won't let us stock it", or "we can't sell any gunpowder at all because of the fire regulations". I checked the web many places won't ship to NY. I guess I'll have to drive out of state. About 5 hours to the Maine Powder House. I'll have to search in PA also. I won't even bother with CT or MA their rules are worse than NY.
    I also started wondering whether imported powders are going to dry up because of Trump's various bans and trade agreement changing.
    Last edited by Irascible; 02-05-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Boolit Master

Get it delivered the big brown truck will bring it.

Note they do not even placard the truck that it has it.

Boolit Buddy
    Maine Powder House is closed. I think that Kittery Trading Post still has it. I'd call first before
    making the trip. Or call Back Creek Gun Shop in Winchester VA. (540) 888-3349 ask for John
    I think he can help you out.
    webfoot10

Boolit Master

Maine powder house back open and running

History ~
    2016 was an interesting year for The Maine Powder House!
    The Maine Powder House was started back in the 1990’s in Peru, ME, moved to Limington, ME in the late 2000’s, and now resides in Yarmouth, ME. In the beginning of 2016, the then owner decided to close up shop. “Was time to retire and do other interesting things” was the plan. It was late in 2016, that a chance encounter to purchase storage magazines between the owner of the now closed MPH and a family owned local blasting & fireworks company – PDK Inc, that a new plan was hatched.
    By December 2016, The Maine Powder House was back up and running, supplying the same black powder products that put our name on the map.

I'm still experimenting with different types of BP.
    I've used Goex and Olde Eynsford, the latter that works really well.
    I've yet to try Swiss. Will do so this summer.