Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: C.O.L. 303 Enfield with the Lee 312-185

C.O.L. 303 Enfield with the Lee 312-185

HELP!

I've look all over for information on this, and just can't find any - which may mean that I'm overthinking this whole thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	303185.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	179671

I cast up a pile of 185gr boolits for my Enfield using the Lee c312-185 mold. There is a cannaluer on the boolit that when slipped into the cartridge gives me a C.O.L. of 2.796. I cannot find any reloading data on this anywhere - the books, my app, the internet - nothing. So I'm flying kind of blind here. The closest I can find is the 180gr Speer RNSP which requires a C.O.L. of 3.07. When I increase the cartridge length to 3.07, it won't fit and the bolt won't lock up.

Name:	303185a.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	179672

So I slipped a wooden rod down the barrel as I've learned to do here, made a mark with the boolit in the chamber and another mark with the bolt closed - giving me a C.O.L. of 2.930 - .164 more then I've got at the cannaluer.

Name:	303185b.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	179673

So is this a significant difference? Should I be concerned that following the boolits design makes it slilghtly shorter than is called for?

If anyone has loaded their Enfield with the 312-185, I'd love to hear from them. Thanks for all the free advice you folks have given me over the years as I've lurked around here.

B

Lyman reloading manual has an OAL listed for that bullet as 2.825 for the given charge weights. That emphasis is because they are taking into account how much space inside the case the bullet occupies at that length in determining the correct charge. Since pressure goes up the further into the case the bullet is set OAL impacts the pressure from a given charge. Manual or company reloading data will be based on, bullet weight, and length and powder. You present

Your SP (spire or soft point) is a longer thinner point bullet than the short fat bore ride design of the lee thus at same bullet weight more of the SP will be outside the case and COAL will be more.

I would suggest a reloading book that focuses on cast bullet loads, OAL of cast bullets. I won't provide load data, powder companies have insurance for loader stupidity, I do not but as near as I can tell and with possible typo errors I think Lyman lists loads for that bullet at OAL of 2.825 inch as:

• Unique 13.5 gr.
    • 2400 17.2 gr.
    • IMR 4198 21 gr.
    • 5744 21 gr. - see had to edit this one already.

All subject to read or use information at your own risk, I may not have read them correctly, or typed them right, might have been on wrong page and frankly might be lying through my teeth since you got it on the internet. I have also never tried any of these loads with that bullet. I will say the short bore rider design of cast when powder coated has been a winner in 8mm Mauser so I see no reason it wouldn't work well in a 303 British.

hope that helps. BUT I really suggest getting at least one load book that focuses on cast bullets, I use the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. There are others that folks recommend too.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 10-29-2016 at 03:26 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Wow, thanks. I've poked around a little more and I see now where Lyman (48th Ed.) has loads for the 200gr in the neighborhood that you've described. I'll give that a try with some 4198 and see where that goes.

With any amount of luck, this will be the bullet that whacks a buck this fall - my first deer with a bullet that I built from the ground up (all of my other cast rounds seem to go into whacking empty propane bottles and paper).

One other good source for 303 load data is ADI web site load data. ADI is Australian company that makes powder re-packaged by US companies. They have an equivalent chart with the ADI powder designator/name in the far left. US names in columns.
    http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handlo...quivalents.asp

Just look at the load data and then find the US powders that are the equal to the ADI powder listed.
    http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handlo...re=303+British
    The Aussies have more load data for Enfield 303 British than is common.

For example AR2207 is what ADI makes that is then sold in the US. So you look up ADI load data, find the loads they list for your weight and see AR2207 then look up the equivalents and find in the US it is sold as 4198, Reloader 7, W680, TU 2000, N200 (norma), and N130. Gives one some choices, which can be good way to find "alternative" powders or ones you might not have considered.

There is also a rule from Hodgdon that if you take the max load and multiply by .60 it will be 60% of max and generally be a good functional minimum load for a cast bullet. Can work up from there. Used to take jacketed data and use for cast lead.

There is a drop down list to change calibers in ADI load data site, they also have pistol.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

According to the lyman cast bullet handbook (4th ed) the lee 312-185 in 303 brit has a oal of 2.825" with a test firearm of a no1mk3*. I haven't loaded that bullet on 303 before but instead use the noe 316-299 and load to 3.015".
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

In Remembrance

Friends and I have loaded and shot many hundreds of THAT LEE boolit in several #1's, #4's, and a #5. All were loaded on various charges and seated and factory crimped in THE cannelure. Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook lists loads for that LEE boolit in the .303 Brit, page 172, bottom left corner. As a 'cast' shooter, you DO have that manual, right? Goferit!
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master

I just load them to fit the chamber if they fit in the mag it is a bonus. All depends on boolit diameter. I have beagled them and used PC to increase the diameter.
    One of the better preforming boolits I use at the right size.
    Be safe
    Last edited by leebuilder; 10-30-2016 at 07:20 AM.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

I'll give these ideas a try today and hopefully have some answers by this evening. Thanks again!

Boolit Master
    I seat my .303 with the 1855gr Lee similar to the lower of the two in the second photo. I seat to foward edge of the first lube groove and crimp with Lee factory crimp die. This keeps the gas check in the case neck and doesn't expose the lower lube groove to the powder. Fits the magazine and chambers easily in my tight #4MK1/2 throat.I like #2400. Started at 17.5 use 22.0gr as it hits to sights at 50yds.

Boolit Master
    What I do with any rifle is take a case with a split neck size it and put a bullet in it, carefully close the bolt and than open it carefully. The bullet will be pushed back to the proper length. You start with the bullet fully extended, and the bolt closing pushes it just to contact with the rifling, don't do this with semi autos with free floating firing pins.
    jim

That makes a great deal of sense. I'll root around my discards and see if I have any split 303s.