Load DataPBcastcoWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Introducing Carnauba Blue, a softer, no heat, version of Carnauba Red.

Boolit Master

I gave your Carnauba blue a good workout today in a 1911 with lyman 452374's. This will be my lube until you make something better. great lube.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

My Blue arrived today.
    I ordered some Red and some BAC too. I always liked how the BAC worked but it was a little on the tacky side so the bullets could get messy in the warm months.
    I think I'm going to really like the BLUE if it flows like BAC but isn't as tacky. Should make for a nice clean lube for storing up a bunch.
    The most important part is that it smells just as good as RED. The BAC however has the most aroma. I think I need to keep some in my car like an air freshener.

Just a question about the pan-lubing process:

How did you seat the Gas-Checks, Lar? Did you run them through a Lee sizer first? And if you did, did you lubricate them with WD-40 or something?

Also, regarding pan lubing with carnauba blue: Does it put off bad smelling fumes?

Moderator Emeritus

I can help with GCs.

When I heat treat boolits, I size them and install GCs before the heat treat process, so I want little or no lube on them when I bake them at 400º for an hour.

So, whatever type sizing die I use (Lee or Lyman), I just seat a GC and push them through the sizer with no lube. If they are tough to push through, I will push a previously lubed and sized boolit through the die, to leave a "residue" of lube, makes pushing the unlubed boolits much easier (that may have to be repeated every 5 to 10 unlubed boolits).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I have received many requests for a softer, no-heat, version of Carnauba Red. So I finally sat down and started working the details out testing many variations and lots of range time with a wide range of calibers.
    The lube that I ended up with is softer and less tacky and performed great in a wide range of pressures and velocities. It’s operating temp is 65-95F with a melt temp of 160F. If your loading room is colder than 65F, then it may take a little heat to get things flowing in the luber. A light bulb set next to the luber for 15min should work great.

The 45 Colt is one of my favorite cartridges, so this had to be on the list of rounds to test. I used a 235gn plain based flat point bullet and 7.2 gains of 800X. In my 5.5” Bisley I got 759fps. I tried this load in a 24” Rossi M92 which gave 952fps and both guns had spotless barrels afterwards.

And Ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/322400207769...84.m1555.l2649

Let me know if you have any questions. IdahoBronco@aol.com

I recently got my first mould for .45 Auto and will begin casting soon. I was planning to get your NRA or BAC lube until I read this. I will be shooting my cast bullets for fun target and plinking. Will also be casting for .45 Colt.

Would this lube be good in my applications??? I will not be loading enough to try several types, just need one that works well.

Thanks
    Short,Fat,and Slow,,,Yup I love the .45

Boolit Master

Red and Blue work pretty good. Just started using them.

Boolit Master

Lar45

Does it suffer by repeated heating in a microwave to melt it for pan lubing or pouring it into a 450?

Pan lubing works best if you heat both lube and cast bullets together in 200-240 degree oven. A small silicone pan works best when releasing lube cake. Push out bullets then insert new bullets in blank holes. Then reheat next batch in oven. I do not heat bullets and lube over 240 degrees for fear of burning lube.

Way too many lube choices.$$$$

Boolit Master

I bought some of the blue, and it won't flow thru my sizer at 65-70 degrees.
    Had to make a heater of sorts to be able to lube bullets. I'll go back to my
    homemade lube I've been using for years.
    Denny

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomRider64 View Post
    I recently got my first mould for .45 Auto and will begin casting soon. I was planning to get your NRA or BAC lube until I read this. I will be shooting my cast bullets for fun target and plinking. Will also be casting for .45 Colt.

Would this lube be good in my applications??? I will not be loading enough to try several types, just need one that works well.

Thanks
    Yes this works great in the 45acp and 45Colt, regular and hot loads,

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Lar45

Does it suffer by repeated heating in a microwave to melt it for pan lubing or pouring it into a 450?
    It won't bother it abit to melt in a microwave. just don't get it hot enough to smoke and everything should be fine.

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    Just a question about the pan-lubing process:

How did you seat the Gas-Checks, Lar? Did you run them through a Lee sizer first? And if you did, did you lubricate them with WD-40 or something?

Also, regarding pan lubing with carnauba blue: Does it put off bad smelling fumes?
    I seated the gas checks with a lyman 4500.
    There are no bad smelling fumes. For pan lubing I just heat the lube up to 200F, then pour in the pan to cover the lube grooves. It won't hurt it to melt and remelt... Just don't get it hot enough to smoke.

Boolit Buddy

Use hair Dryer to warm up lube in sizing machine...

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    I bought some of the blue, and it won't flow thru my sizer at 65-70 degrees.
    Had to make a heater of sorts to be able to lube bullets. I'll go back to my
    homemade lube I've been using for years.
    Denny
    Just heat sizing machine with my wifes old hair dryer. Takesonly 2 min. as required. afish4570

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    Yes this works great in the 45acp and 45Colt, regular and hot loads,
    Thanks,,,made an order last week,,,should be here today.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
    Short,Fat,and Slow,,,Yup I love the .45

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123