RepackboxPBcastcoWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Carnauba Blue, a softer, no heat, version of Carnauba Red.

Banner Sponsor

Introducing Carnauba Blue, a softer, no heat, version of Carnauba Red.

I have received many requests for a softer, no-heat, version of Carnauba Red. So I finally sat down and started working the details out testing many variations and lots of range time with a wide range of calibers.
    The lube that I ended up with is softer and less tacky and performed great in a wide range of pressures and velocities. It’s operating temp is 65-95F with a melt temp of 160F. If your loading room is colder than 65F, then it may take a little heat to get things flowing in the luber. A light bulb set next to the luber for 15min should work great.

I started working with the 30-06XCB and have pushed it to 2800fps+ so far with an absolutely clean barrel. My barrel is a 14” twist, so the accuracy may fall apart if pushed much farther. One thing I did notice is the 1st shot flyer was very close to the group for several targets. I did get side tracked here seeing if I could keep it inside the group and burned up most of the bullets that I had prepped, so I didn’t get to the high end of things yet.

Here is the 30-06XCB with the 165XCB bullet sized to .311” loaded to 3.055” with 38gns of H4895 for 2490fps

Here is the 30-06XCB built by Tim Malcomb of MBT.

Next I turned to the M95 405Winchester. I lubed and sized some NOE 411-251LFN bullets to .413”. I have the plain based and gaschecked molds, so I started with the plain base one first.

22grains of Herc 2400 gave 1579fps and left the barrel totally clean. I started to get leading as I approached 25 grains and 1724fps.
    I switched to the gas checked bullets, again sized to .413”, and the same 25 grains gave a clean barrel. I tried 27 grains which gave 1822fps and the same clean barrel. I switched powders to 38 grains of IMR 4198, 1980fps, and still had a totally clean barrel. 40 grains 4198 gave 2103fps and a clean barrel. 42 grains gave 2178fps, the barrel was still spotless, but the accuracy really went to pot so I stopped there.

The 45 Colt is one of my favorite cartridges, so this had to be on the list of rounds to test. I used a 235gn plain based flat point bullet and 7.2 gains of 800X. In my 5.5” Bisley I got 759fps. I tried this load in a 24” Rossi M92 which gave 952fps and both guns had spotless barrels afterwards.

I have one of the 6.5” Ruger Bisleys in 480 Ruger and tried the Lee 325 bullet with 12 gains of Unique, 1150fps, and 22 grains of Herc 2400, 1268fps. Both the light and heavy loads gave a totally clean barrel.

My last gun to test was an old Win M94 in 30-30. For this I used the gas checked 165 grain revised Ranch Dog bullet from a Lee 6 cavity mold sized to .310”.

14 grains of Herc 2400 gave 1594fps, with a useable group, and a totally clean barrel. I pushed the loads up to 18 grains and got 1879fps, but the best accuracy was with the 14 grain load.

I have it up on my Website: http://lsstuff.com/store/

And Ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/322400207769...84.m1555.l2649

Let me know if you have any questions. IdahoBronco@aol.com
    Last edited by lar45; 11-17-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Now you've done it. I have been using your carnauba red for years and always recommend it to any cast bullet shooters at the ranges I use. This has brought me a steady demand for my home made lube heater, looks like this is going to put me out of business!!!!!!!

My next order will include your new blue, thanks Lars your service is very much appreciated.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I'm going to have to get some for my dad who doesn't have a lube heater on his 450. Looks real good!
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Grand Master

How does it compare to CR w/ tackiness in the grooves? Is it hard so it doesn't stick to other bullets? I don't need another lube to try

Super Moderator

I will be ordering some to try...thanks for the heads up.

Moderator Emeritus

Tomorrow is 4th Wednesday of month -- when I get my retirement cheque -- I surely will be ordering some "blue" to try; does it come in solid stick, as well as hollow? I could only find the hollow on your site.
    Thanks.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    Just placed an order!! Wish it came in solid for use in my Star. Will just have to melt it and re-cast it in my lube molds.

Boolit Master

Yes - Will you offer it in solid sticks for Star sizers?
    Being human is not for sissies.

How would it work as pan lube?

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

Banner Sponsor

Yes I can make some solid sticks. The first batch I ran as hollow. If you include a note with your order, I'll try to catch it before it goes out the door.
    I have not tried it as a pan lube.
    The Blue is softer than the Red, but it is less tacky so the bullets seem to stay cleaner when knocked around in a plastic tub(simulate UPS shipping lol).
    I just added solid sticks to the web store and will have them ready probably tomorrow afternoon.
    Last edited by lar45; 01-24-2017 at 11:38 PM.

Boolit Master

I will be trying some of that.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banner Sponsor

I was asked for more details on the 405 Win.

Mine is the Winchester Teddy Roosevelt M95.
    My eyes are getting older and it's getting harder to keep the sights and target in a crisp clear picture, so I put a peep sight on it. This helps, but the targets aren't the best in the world. I'm sure it would do much better with a scope.
    Here is the target from the 405 Win with the NOE 411-251WFN GC sized to .413", seated to 2.966", loaded with 38 grains of IMR 4198 and a Win LR primer, which gave 1980fps.
    The distance from the front porch of the shop to the back stop is 75yds.

Here is the 27 grains of Herc 2400 -1822 fps-

I ordered some smaller peep inserts. I'll shoot these again when they get here to see if that helps.
    Last edited by lar45; 01-26-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Banner Sponsor

RockRat, PM me your name and address and I'll see if it's been shipped yet or not.

Boolit Master

Woo hoo! Now to figure out what to do with the other 20 sticks of Lars Lube of other flavors!!!
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

And I finally got a heated Lyman 450 so I could try C-red without pan lubing. Mind you I haven't had time to swap lube-sizers, but I have one now.

I'll have to see about ordering some of that blue lube now.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Banner Sponsor

I tried pan lubing some of the NOE 411-251WFN GC bullets.
    I seated gas checks, then set a few in a small teflon coated bread pan, poured lube in until it covered the lube grooves.

I let it sit for about 45 min at room temp, until the lube had cooled to room temp. I turned it over and tapped it on my hand and the block fell right out.

I pushed the bullets from the top to the bottom and they came right out with the grooves filled nicely.

So it looks like it will pan lube fairly easily.

I will work on getting some pound blocks poured off and put on the web store. PM me with what you're looking for and I'll try to make it happen.

Boolit Grand Master

I have tested this new lube in the 45-70 with various loads, and I must say it deserves to be in the WWL lineup. Everybody should give this stuff a shot.

It's a little easier to work with than 2700+ and seems to perform in areas that 2700 has difficulty (concerning precision only). Very nice stuff to dip lube, pan lube, or lubesize with.

I give it my personal double thumbs up.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Woo hoo! Now to figure out what to do with the other 20 sticks of Lars Lube of other flavors!!!
    just put them all in a pan.
    melt them and pour them into the lube sizer as needed.

Boolit Master

Thanks for offering this in solid sticks
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

I just ordered 24 sticks. I expect it to be as good as all your other lubes.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast