Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diabetes not sure where to post this!

Diabetes not sure where to post this!

When i was first told i had diabetes it was a death sentence to me,My mother had passed from diabetes complications two years previous.I have five grandchildren i want to watch them grow get married have kids of there own. I went to classes talked to dieticians changed my diet started walking a lot more.It has been two and a half years doctor appt today! I almost hugged him 1 year A1C bellow diabetes minimum.Still have diabetes and plan on fighting like all h*ll to keep it a bay because i want to help raise my great grandkids children!!

Hang in there. I've been fighting it for over 20 years now. Diet and Exercise are the key. Keep working hard and you will keep it at bay. Never give up.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I'm a type II diabetic. In the last year, the medicine I was taking was not keeping my numbers down so the doc finally put me on man made insulin. I've just completed my first week, using a 5 unit dose (tiny) each morning and it seems to be having an effect although the dose will probably have to be raised.

As said, keep fighting and you'll keep it under control. It USED to be a death sentence many years ago, but medical science has turned it into more of an inconvenience that can be treated so you can lead a perfectly normal life.

And, by the way, I'm babysitting my two year old grand daughter right now. Life is good!

After the wife's battle with cancer she had some other things show up including Diabetes.
    She's over 6 years cancer free and we are slowly getting the A1C closer to what the Doc's want to see.
    So keep working on it.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Moderator Emeritus

I too am diabetic. The biggest factor in it, and the one many simply will not deal with properly, is what and how and when you eat, and how much. And changing your diet will likely be the hardest thing you've ever done, because you'll be fighting your "survival instinct" - hunger. But if you DO change the way you eat, substantially, and WHAT you eat and how much, you will surely do well in spite of it. You won't always be happy, at times, but you'll survive, and maybe even grow and learn things that you'll wind up being glad you did.

The best advice I think I ever got from my docs, was when I was told that the endocrine system is a very complex system, and the pancreas is only one component in it. So, some diabetics MAY be able to eat some things that others may not, and visa versa. You are at a point where you cannot and MUST not, just eat anything or any amount you want. You need to take your meds religiously, and eat VERY smartly and conscientiously, if you're going to last with it.

Since I've been diagnosed, I watch what other diabetics eat, and it's shameful in many cases. Carbs out the wazoo and plenty of them!!! That's a self-determined death sentence, and it's an awful way to die. You die by degrees - first losing toes, then feet, then legs, and finally, death, and you'll NEVER feel "healthy" ever again unless you eat right. It's a sacrifice, if you ever want to feel peacefully "healthy" ever again.

Diabetes kills many thousands every year, and all you can do now is decide, and do what's necessary, to be one of those, or one of the ones who have decided to live, and who'll consistently DO what is necessary to live. Let your meter tell you what you can and can't eat. Early on, I'd test as many as 12 times a day, and yes, that gets kind'a spendy. But what will you pay for your life to HAVE a future? If you want cheap, you shouldn't have become diabetic, and yes, I include myself in this. I didn't know, but now I do, and now, all I CAN do is deal with it, and decide if I want to eat or to live.

But there's a good part to it, too. IF you'll discipline yourself in your eating, you MAY be able to drop the meds, and control it very effectively with diet alone. I have a friend now who is essentially in the last stages of diabetes. He is fighting now to save his feet and legs, and it's one HUGE battle, and much pain and discomfort is involved. He's waging a valient fight, but he realizes now that for 20 years, he used insulin to allow him to eat like he wanted to, and in amounts that nobody ever needed. He just LIKED eating, and giving in to that TOO far, has now brought him to the point that he only eats one meal a day, at supper time. He eats an Atkins bar for lunch, and might drink an Atkins shake some time during the day. He's over 300 lbs. now, and can't sleep for the apnea. No matter where he turns, the consequences of his past decisions hit him hard, and allow no "work arounds." It's very humbling, and he's doing a FAR better job than I ever figured he could or would. He's surprised me, but he's at the desperate stage now, and wants to live, so he really has no choice. It's all he can do to walk to his porch and shoot a few rounds once or twice a day, weather permitting.

So if you want to wind up like my friend, go ahead and eat just like you want, and use insulin to make you able to do that --- for a time. But you will NOT like the consequences if you choose to do that. Your life, your choice. And yeah, I resent that too, but it's the simple truth, and we both have to face it, or pay the consequences for failing to.

And spices help a lot when you change your diet. FWIW, I've found that if I just LIKE what I eat, I CAN diet effectively and consistently. You CAN pull out the stops on RARE occasions. For a time, I craved biscuits like you wouldn't believe! I'd allow myself one, single biscuit a month. And after a while, I got tired of even those after-effects, and if you DO diet well, I suspect you will do so too. And there are occasional surprises. I found that Snickers bars don't spike my blood sugar badly, and give me the energy I need to go fishing or other active pursuits. I ONLY use them when I need them, though, and yeah, it's hard to keep that discipline up. But it's worth it.

When my son was very young, he'd often look up at me and say, "But Daddy, that's HARD!" I'd always just look at him with a wry grin, and say, "Awwww! And you can only do E-A-S-Y things????" He didn't like being mocked that way, and would pooch his lips out and pout a few seconds, but then, he'd gather himself up and address whatever it was that needed to be done, and he'd always do a good job. That's how it is for us diabetics. No, it ain't easy, but who promised us life WOULD always be "easy???" It's up to us to just "handle it," and how we do that will determine the outcome, and our longevity.

If you can avoid getting on insulin, you'll be dodging a very big bullet. And you CAN, but no, it's not gonna' be easy, nor pleasant, at least for much of it, but if you DO, you'll never regret it, you'll get along a LOT better, and you'll be happier, prouder of yourself, and of more value to your family and friends and even (if not especially) your own self. That ain't no small thing! Good luck to you, and sorry for the "grating" nature some of this may have, but it's the truth.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't have it (knock on wood), but a friend does.
    He takes the shots.
    I told him about Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey mix I drink.
    He tried it for a while and his count went way, way down.
    He stopped because his doctor told him to.
    Asked him why???
    He said the doctor didn't say.

Boolit Master
    Tell us more about the mix, please. what ratio? Raw honey or does it matter? I have a friend with type 2, I've been telling him to take vinegar. One of these days it will click.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Banned

There's a lot of evidence that apple cider vinegar has all kinds of benefits. I drink a little most days because it helps the acid reflux, and I didn't like taking Prilosec or similar all the time. I've heard about it helping with diabetes too.

Boolit Bub
    Yes I too would like to find out more about the apple cider vinegar thing. I am having some trouble controlling my levels and I am working on getting more active. Let us know.

Perm-Banned
    get your weight down to normal, not high normal. buy a lot of used weight watchers recipe cooking books and follow them, weight watchers use diabetic diet recipe for their cook books. walk, ride a bike, but move move move.i used to teach new diabetics once a week about diabetes. the first thing i always told them is, you may ignore diabetes but it for not one second of your life ignores you. stay away from folk medicine, loose weight, always eat a diabetic diet, and move move move move.

Boolit Master
    I have Type II, went to school with regard to diet, lost 60 pounds over 9 months on the diet, take the pills twice a day and go to the gym three times a week at a minimum. At 71 years of age the levels are good as the doctor makes me come in every three months.

Diet and exercise are the key items, the pills hopefully will remove the requirement for injections

My feet starting hurting 20 years ago and that led to the Type II discovery.

Good luck on the diet change, usually I am hungry when I go to sleep, small meals more like a snack eaten five times a day is what works best in my case.

Boolit Grand Master

I was diagnosed 8 years ago, lost 46lbs and have maintained with no medicine so far. It is hard, learn all you can and, most importantly, use your eating diary and blood sugar (fasting and post paradinal) to learn how your body is using what you eat. As far as this site goes, read what Blackwater wrote x2 or 3. Then settle in and do the hard work of monitoring your body and adjusting your total lifestyle to what your data tells you.

Diabetic education classes are good, but you have to translate that information to your body and your physiology. That takes long term observation and interpretation of the data you collect. Consult with experts as you do this, it may take a year or more before you understand how your body is working.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Mom died at 62, older brother at 63 from diabetes. Figured I was cool until my eye doc told me at age 58 and sent me directly to the emergency room. Almost 67 now, A1C stays in low 6's.
    No sweet tea in 8 years ! I dream about it.. but the grandson is now 6 and I hope to watch him get much older . +1 on everything Blackwater said.Your taste buds will adjust some and the diet does suck, but it beats getting planted early !

Boolit Grand Master
    I mix it.....
    2 table spoons Organic Honey
    2 table spoons Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
    in 1 cup of warm water.
    Drink two times a day.
    You can add more or less honey to your taste.
    I mix it so the vinegar will not burn the throat.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Take careofyourself!

Do as the Dr. says!

What comes later is up to you! Lose your feet, lose your hands! End up with kidney failure! Pray for an available kidney for transplant!

Ever wonder why Dr.s don't use home remedies? Cause usually they don't work out well for the one taking them!

Course it's all up to you, your body, your life!

BTW, I'm one waiting for a kidney!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have had Type I diabetes for 50 years now. I've seen a lot of change it treatment and advances in technology over the years as well as changes in the way the health care industry thinking. The same goes for Type II.

In short, it all boils down to attitude. You can choose to let it whip you or you can choose that you are going to do everything you can to whip it. It all boils down to "good control" and "good habits". By that I mean changing your diet to avoid high fat, high carb - plenty of REGULAR exercise and having strong will power to not "cheat" on your diet.

I'm 64 now and I am not a person who likes "changes" - just ask my loving wife. But, a person has to be willing to make changes - diet, exercise, attitude, etc. I have taken insulin for all of those 50 years - currently, I take one injection the first thing in the morning of Lantus (a 24 hour long lasting insulin) and an injection of Apidra insulin at breakfast, lunch and dinner. And, I check my blood glucose levels often - usually around six times a day. Keeping your blood sugar level under control will vastly improve not only how you feel but help to prevent the many side effects over time.

I recently got a CGM )continuous glucose monitor) - a sensor and transmitter is installed (for want of a better word) on my stomach which sends a continuous blood glucose reading to a small receiver that I carry - about the size of a small cell phone. It allows me even better control of my blood glucose as I can check it often to see what is going on. It woks great for me - andI wasn't too interested in getting it but after having it, it is something I wished I had gotten earlier.

I firmly believe that how a person's body reacts to diabetes - whether it is type I or II - is dependent upon a persons genes. But even so, NEVER GIVE UP! Yes . . . I've had problems over the years - diabetic retinopathy an laser treatments to help preserve my vision, neuropathy in my fee4t and lower legs, a heart attack at 43 and triple by-pass as well as decreased kidney function. But again . . . it's all about attitude and not letting it lick you - no different that cancer, heart problems, etc.

OP - I'm thrilled to death for you and how well you are doing! Keep up the good work and never let it get you down! For others that have either Type I or II . . . . do what your health care provider tells you to do . . . don't ignore taking care of yourself and think that if you just ignore it, it will go away . . . it won't. Push yourself away from the fast food, high fat, high carb food and start eating more healthy - and get off the sofa and exercise.

Over the years, I've had friends say to me . . . "I don't know how you do it. I couldn't take shots everyday or watch what I eat, etc.". My reply has always been . . . "God doesn't hand you more than you can handle.". And I have always believed that. And as fr as a person's thoughts about what is in store for them based on a parent or someone else . . . none of us know what lies around the next bend in the road. Live each day as though it were your last . . . tell those you love that you care for them and don't worry if the glass is half full or half empty. In other words, appreciate life and those around you and the blessings that God has given you. Care for yourself the best you can and have faith that the Lord is watching over you. And for those that put off seeing a doctor . . . see one and have a good going over and asked to be tested to see if your are prone to Diabetes or actually may have it. It's not the end of the world . . . it's just another step forward down the road that some have to walk.

Perm-Banned
    im going to give some hard advice. if someone is giving you diabetic advice and they them selves are not under control and do'nt look the part of a healthy person, ignore all they say. only take advice from medical professionals and those non professionals who are living testimony of being under control.its your live, again as ive posted before on these kinds of post. jack benny was a good role model as he was a life long diabetic who did every thing right to control it and lived to be a very old man. you will love to eat the diabetic diet after awhile and wonder why you never ate that way all your life. my wife and i are medical professionals and we deal with non compliance every day. it is a wonderful thing to deal with some one who takes a interest in them selves. do not be fooled and taken in by diabetic medications advertisement, they always use fat *** actors to make you believe that you can be fat and take their med and be ok. that is pure 100 percent bull shi=======. i know of a couple very over weight new diabetics who had the banding done so they could not eat large meals. it is a good way to go if you eat heathy food after the banding. they lost tons of weight and ate heathy and did not need diabetic medication any more. again and again, you may ignore diabetes but it will not ignore you for one second. my wife and i have a combined college education in medicine of 16 years, listen, we are not talking b.s. im going to get real, to be fat you have to be really tough. when they start cutting thing off and you heal very slowly with complications, that being tough. it hurts like you cant even think about. learn to eat right and move move move and loose the weight and get fit. loose the diabetes. mu closest friend is a non compliant diabetic. he just wont be compliant and wails and wails about his diabetes. we all know the out come and i am very concerned about him my concern bounces of him like bullet off of steel plate. he will go the way of non compliant diabetics very very soon. i tried with him but it was really up to him. he eats cookies all day long plus huge meals like the homesteaders ate 120 years ago. thats his choise. what is your choise? im not a diabetic, and i thanks God for that, but i wish those who i come in contact with would take it serious. i find most ry to find any ways they can to side step it. folk **** and just using more meds or insulin. my close friend is already using so much insulin that he is becoming insulin resistant. the next step is just crapping out and dying. hope my realty posting helps someone to step up and take control of their life and get their diabetes under control. you have it now beat it.

I am 74.6 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes 19 years ago. I have suffered some damage from it, but it is reasonable well controlled.

We are all going to die of something and it behooves all of us to get ready for this final event. Here is a little checklist;

1. Develop a vital and active faith. This is something that takes time to nurture and develop. Jesus can save your soul in an instant, but it takes much long to internalize that into a faith for dying.

2. Make peace with your past. Ask forgiveness of those you have hurt and if that is not possible at least forgive yourself for being human.

3. Get the best medical and then go on with your life, living each day as it comes. Each day is beautiful and to precious to spend it all spun up about dying.

4. Fear and anger are soul poisons. Jettison them from your life.

BTW....Yesterday the Dr. told me I have Multiple Myeloma which is cancer of the blood plasma. He put a name on what is going to kill me, but it is just a name. I have always known it would be something. I have been preparing, (points 1 - 4 above) for this day for many years. The preparation is now going to pay off in high quality days and perhaps years ahead.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Moderator Emeritus

I think Johnson probably gives you the very best advice here of all. Anything ELSE you choose to try or experiment with, needs to be on TOP of what he has given you. Dealing with diabetes is one of the most difficult of all diseases to deal with, simply because it depends on changing our whole lifestyle and habits. And changing EITHER of those is like pulling not just teeth, but molars grown to the jawbone! But it's doable, and not nearly as unpleasant and onerous as it would seem at first. it's said that dieting is the most difficult pursuit because you're fighting your "survival instinct." And indeed, we DO need to eat to survive, but we really CAN choose what and how we eat, and how much and how often. I tend to need to eat 4 times a day, and I really, really try very hard to eat ONLY as much as I will burn up. ANY more, even a little, and my wt. will go up. And since I can't get around to exercise much and work it off, I have to keep the amount I eat down as low as I can get by with, and that means I can't get through the night without waking up hungry, and sometimes with the shakes. What I eat then, to try to get to breakfast, makes a lot of difference because in sleeping, we burn only a minimum of energy input up. I'm still seeking a balance in that, with varying but increasing success. Or at least I was until I got two heavy doses of steroids for my hips. Those drove my diabetes crazy, and a little of my blood pressure, to boot. I gained 20 lbs. in spite of doing nothing different at all, and stayed hungry around the clock for a couple or three weeks! If you're diabetic, watch out for those steroids, and use something else if your doc can find an alternate. If not, prepare for a rather wild ride! Mine is just now wearing off. I'm told that large doses like I had can last 3 mo. and occasionally more with the side effects with respect to diabetes. I know I'll never take steroids again unless it's pretty much a life or death sitaution!

The more you do at first, to really deal with it, the better you'll get along. And you MAY get away with experimenting with some other stuff, but ONLY on the back of good, basic and sensible practice. You can deal with your diabetes, or it'll surely deal with YOU, and you will NOT like what it does if you don't respect and deal with it. I have a friend going through that right now, and he's one of my very best friends ever. He's motivated me to do things I well might not have were it not for his example. You cannot EVER "get along" with doing things that are against your diabetes. It's a slow killer, but it IS a killer, and it kills you slowly and painfully. If you give in to something THAT cruel ..... well ...... it'll surely do what it always does, and you will die a painful and pitiful death one day. Diabetes or one of its offshoots kills most diabetics, and it's all because they won't do what they know darn well they need to do. Heed Johnson's words, and if you can, find someone who has lost their feet or legs, and observe their attitude, and behavior. Just about all of them claim to do "exactly what my doc says," and they'll tell you that while eating a baked potato with all the trimmings! That's one way to be. I'm trying hard to not be like that, and it's difficult for an old country boy who's always loved to eat and always had a big appetite. But just not being "easy" is no excuse for committing slow suicide, is it? It really IS just that serious, and many resent this kind of treatment of the subject, but those always seem to be the very ones who won't actually do what's necessary, and in the end, they always pay the price, and many are still saying "I did just what the doc said." But they never did. I've seen it a number of times, and my docs say it's the most common way folks deal with becoming diabetic. In the end, "ya' pays yer moneis an' takes yer choices, an' then ya' gits whacha' git." And that's really all there is to it, in the end.

I just found out this past June that I'm also a type II . I put the Cig's down over three years ago but took up another bad habit. (Food)After finding out about being a dibetic I started listened to the doctor and walking and eating right became a new way of life ( Lost 35 pounds ) And now my numbers are good with no meds. I also give my wife alot of the credit by reading up on different foods and finding different things that are healthy and good. I sure miss a good amount of the southern food i like and grew up on but know what will happen if i get back on the old diet. ( You folks have put some great post on this thread)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast