Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finn Mosin parts needed

Boolit Master
    Thank you sir.

Boolit Master
    There is another option for you.
    I dont know your Skill Level , so please take no offense.
    You can Make your own front sight blade with minimum tools and skills.
    You can make the post that fits your front sight base, out of a piece of flat steel with the proper sized hole drilled in it, and file off the dovetail on something like a Williams or Marbles sight, then solder the Base Post you made to the flat bottom of the replacement sight.
    Just a thought.
    See, I wasnt always Rich, nor could I get the parts I needed at any price.
    So , I tought myself the skills needed to do what I want to.

Boolit Master
    LAGS thanks for the DIY option, it could be that.

The thought was that possibly an M39 sight may be the same. I've one that needs a fair amount of elevation to be on at 100, so maybe it can be swapped with the M27 fr suight blade.

I'll see about getting them apart over the weekend to see if it's possible, will report the results here.

Boolit Master
    @ 30 cf
    You are welcome .
    I try to come up with Options for others to try.
    Many of my Otions were used while I was waiting to find the Correct part I needed.
    They worked well, and in some cases, became the Final Option when the right part couldn't be found.
    But Keep in mind when making a Replacement part.
    Make and modify the Part you need, and not the part that it attaches to, like in your case The Front Sight Base.
    That insures that "If" and when you find the correct part, it will still fit and function.
    The M-39 sight Will fit your rifle.
    It is only a question if you can find an unmodified M-39 front Sight Blade the height ( or taller ) than what you need.

Boolit Buddy
    The Finn blade sight is the same on their M27, 28, 91, and the 91/30 with the stacked sight assy. The M39 front sight will not work because it is designed to move sideways w/screw adjusters and is not dovetailed. The blade height is adjusted by carving a notch out of the back side, leaving the lower front part of the blade. This maintains the original profile.... If you are not aware of it the M27 blade is mounted on a dovetailed plate, remove the tiny set screw and drift the plate out the front (IIRC), then drift the blade sideways off the mounting plate.

Here is a possible source of front blades, however they are out of the tallest. However you can keep your eyes on ebay and look for a front sight without the notch in the rear. Or build your blade up w/ JB weld as mentioned earlier. Good luck!

https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...&idcategory=17

Boolit Master
    I dont mean to say you are wrong, but the M-27 s the M-28 and M-39 that I have or had in the past, all had the same front sight.
    The 91 has a dovetailed blade in a fixed base with no hood.
    The 91/ 30 has a Post inside a Ringed hood similar to the M-44, M-53 that are much larger.
    But the Two M-27s that I currently own, have this type of sights
    My M-10 and M-38 had the sight like the 1891

Boolit Buddy
    Your pics show a M39 sight, take a closer look at your M27s and notice that they do not have the windage adjusting screws in the sight base.....unless they have been changed out on this side of the pond.
    Yes, the profile of the sight blades is the same but they mount differently. The M39 and the M28-30 are the only Mosins that do not use a dovetail.
    We have a local milsurp benchrest match, so I have been doing sight mods for many years to achieve a 100 yard zero, plus I've been collecting these beasts for 15 years and have accumulated a pile of 'em...

Boolit Master
    [SIZE=4]

The front sight base in the pictures does have the windage adjustment screws and the locking screw for the blade.
    When I bought these two rifles , they had about 100 of them , all with the same sights.
    My m-38 had a unhooded blade , yet my friends made the same year had the 91/30 front sight.
    That just goes to show that there is inconsistency in production and lots of parts upgraded or swapped out when the rifles were ReArmored.and even re serial numbered.
    IE:
    My Barrels are the contour of the M-39 but they are made in 1934 and 35 with the M-39 style sights front and rear, Both are Sako barrels.
    But the stocks are M-27 stocks, and originally numbered to match the action and barrel.
    From what I have seen so far, the M-27 rear sight wont fit the barrel I have.
    Last edited by LAGS; 02-14-2017 at 08:14 AM.

Boolit Master
    Oldeyes thanks for the info.

There can be a lot of variation in Finnish rifles especially the sights. Quite often they would use the Russian sights without mods on a rebuild. Why make new or use up remaining stock when this will work? I believe that was a big factor in some cases. War time expedient me thinks.

Others they struck out the 'Arshin' distance settings and re stamped in meters on the opposite side of the rear sight base.

I've a Finn 91-30 with the stacked front sight blade and another with Russian 91-30 sights front and rear.

The M27 and 39's, in their own form, have been uniform in sight configuration that I've seen, other than front blade height.

Boolit Master
    @ 30 CF
    Do the sights that I showed match the sights on your M-27 rifle ?

Boolit Buddy
    Hey LAGS, based on your description of your rifles having Sako barrels and dates of 1934 and 1935, and using the M39 type sights, they should be M28-30s. Do they also have an Sk.Y stamp on the barrel? The early M28-30s were built with recycled M91 stocks, and during later refurbs could have ended up in M27 stocks.
    The M28-30 rear sight was almost identical to the M39, only difference was the leaf did not have the "1.5" range marking on the bottom; this is covered up by the slider in your pic. The rear sight base did not have the range number 2 on the left side. Front sights were the same. It sounds like you may have a pair of 28-30s, the most accurate Finn out there!

Boolit Master
    @ oldeyes
    I purchaced these rifles and they were Tagged as Finnish M-27's and the barrel is stamped as Sako, a "D" and the year 1934, and the SKY and I looked no further.
    The rear sight does have a 2 on the left side but the Slide is not marked with a 1.5 elevation mark.
    But you prompted me to investagate a little further.
    The one that is in original form is importer stamped behind the rear sight.
    It says M28 Finnland.
    I had never even cleaned this one since I bought it from Federal Ordnance, El Monte Calif. that became Brickley trading Co.
    I lived and worked not to far from them back in the 1980's and bought lots of rifles and parts from them.
    It is still packed in Grease not cosmoline
    The other one made in 1935, was sporterized soon after I bought it, and it is also a Sako Barrel but no "D" and it to is stamped SKY with the date of 1935.
    And this one with the home made side mount Scope, Is the most accurate of all my Military Based rifles, either sporterized or in the original form.
    I remember when I bought these two, because I had to pay $119.00 each for them , and the regular Finn 91's were going for $79.00 and the Russian 91's were $59.00
    Last edited by LAGS; 02-17-2017 at 12:36 AM.

Boolit Master
    Hi, sorry for the late reply.

LAGS I've seen the pic but can't find it right now. I do recall a hole in the lower part of the sight under the base.

The M28's weren't too much different than an M27, barrel manufacturer and civil guard markings IIRC. Nose cap also. Some of the M27's had a reinforced bayonet lug, looked like popsicle sticks welded to the base and a bolt running thru it and the stock forend. Some 27's did not have this feature as it was a later mod. Saw an M28 with the wood altered for the nose cap reinforcement but no hole drilled thru it, was built or rearsenaled with an M27 stock. You see a lot of different things with Finn M-N's!

I've been running this past week and haven't looked at the 27 so this weekend I'll break it out and look closer. Can't do pics yet but may be able to get someone else to do so next week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12