Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a case annealer dammit

Building a case annealer dammit

Just saying it out loud so I might actually get to it this year. I started collecting components and have an approximate design in my head

Boolit Master

good luck.
    When I built mine I gathered all the parts first as this made the assembly much nicer.
    When you get down to it they are simple in operation and construction.
    + watching the cases go around in a circle is relaxing
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Can you build one that anneals rifle brass in .5 seconds and fed by a case collator?

Quote Originally Posted by monmouth View Post
    Can you build one that anneals rifle brass in .5 seconds and fed by a case collator?
    Lol, possibly, but why? I can't shoot fast enough as it is.
    I guess my earlier reply was lost in the ether. I'm going for the rotating wheels type with a single propane torch arrangement like has been done. However I'm using one motor instead of two, because I can't figure why two would ever be better than one.

Banned

it's so the case rotates and gets heated around the whole case instead of just heating one side.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    it's so the case rotates and gets heated around the whole case instead of just heating one side.
    i understand the cases want to revolve, but the two wheel should be timed together, so having two motors actually makes that task more complicated and troublesome, without more advanced electronics at least. I'm going to time the wheels with sprockets. It makes more sense to me, which probably means it's a terribible waste of time&money.
    Last edited by Drew P; 01-24-2017 at 01:29 AM.

The main challenge is the need to easily adjust for differing case lengths. The photo is my intended spread of actual "needed" cases, although I'd like to include pistol cases too if possible. This seems to be one area not too well addressed in the commercial and DIY units I've seen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3375.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Lol, possibly, but why? I can't shoot fast enough as it is.
    I guess my earlier reply was lost in the ether. I'm going for the rotating wheels type with a single propane torch arrangement like has been done. However I'm using one motor instead of two, because I can't figure why two would ever be better than one.
    I've tried both ways and I have to say - the two motor idea is much simpler:

Single motor design:

Two motor design:

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    I've tried both ways and I have to say - the two motor idea is much simpler:

Single motor design:

Two motor design:
    are those your creations? Very cool! Yeah my idea is more like your two motor design but only uses one. Some of my parts are floating over from foreign lands so it will take a while to get started.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    are those your creations? Very cool! Yeah my idea is more like your two motor design but only uses one. Some of my parts are floating over from foreign lands so it will take a while to get started.
    Yes, both my original designs. If the timing was critical, as in the Annealeez machine then the two rollers must be locked together with a toothed belt, gears or chain/sprocket. In my designs, the lower roller is driven to rotate the case in the flame, it doesn't really matter if the case spins three or four times while it's in the flame. Although it rotates in close relation to the speed of the feed drum as they both work off the same PWM speed controller.

I see, yes that makes sense. Im going for a toothed belt arrangement on mine.

Boolit Buddy

Drew P
    Here is some more info on the DIY case annealer,
    both of these sites should answers most your question,
    quite long reads, but worth the time to do so, IMHO.

The Skip's design has been around for quite a while,
    and started this type of DIY annealer.

See info here,
    http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...ealing+machine
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/43...g_Machine.html

I am building one that will do case as small under -1.00", for my Wildcats I build.

HTH,

Tia,
    Don

I used Skips design as a starting point

https://youtu.be/PoYqwGP_jKg

3 different size pans and 3 different size rollers, it can go from .300 Blackout up to .338 Lapua
    Last edited by Big Dog; 01-26-2017 at 11:24 PM.

Funny deal, I started one last year and it's been on top my bench. Now I am starting a 300blk project and I resurfaced it this afternoon before reading this thread earlier today.
    I am doing the two motor build, but using a single speed controller for the drum and proximity switch for the feeder. I read both long threads mentioned above to gain fresh insight on the build.

Boolit Master

I have all the parts to build mine under my bench well almost i still need soldering iron and a cut off wheel to finish it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0xE-6bSwME
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Sometimes projects such as this turns out to be rather enjoyable but the finished product may turn out to be less than expected. Getting the temperature right for the correct period of time might make a difference.

I used the torch and pan of water method - don't have any idea if that helped my cases, as none split but my primer pockets enlarged over several reloading's, which was my problem. I never noticed any gain in accuracy, if that might be a side benefit, if annealed properly. Today I just send my cases away for annealing if I feel they should be annealed for some reason.

If I were a young man and had the notion I needed to anneal my cases on a "regular" basis, I think I would save my money and purchase a machine that seems to do it right the first time and every time after that: May take a lot of saving and a kitchen pass from the War Department but I think this machine does it right.

http://www.ampannealing.com/

That one might be nice but it sure looks cumbersome to use.
    I really want to build an annealer more than I even want to own an annealer. So, I'll pass on the $1000 foreign models thanks!

Some parts arriving today
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5667.jpg  

One can buy an Anneal-Rite and torches for around $130 with on caliber/size cartridge holder. Not motorized but probably sufficient for many reloaders. https://www.cartridgeanneal.com/home.html People make knock off versions all the time.

The motorized ones are neat and would be an interesting project. On a purely "solve the problem" basis however many might find a manual annealer at the same price as a press an acceptable alternative. Looks like it would be sufficiently productive for any bolt rifle case, and speed up the process for auto loader brass that needs to be done in quantity.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    One can buy an Anneal-Rite and torches for around $130 with on caliber/size cartridge holder. Not motorized but probably sufficient for many reloaders. https://www.cartridgeanneal.com/home.html People make knock off versions all the time.

The motorized ones are neat and would be an interesting project. On a purely "solve the problem" basis however many might find a manual annealer at the same price as a press an acceptable alternative. Looks like it would be sufficiently productive for any bolt rifle case, and speed up the process for auto loader brass that needs to be done in quantity.
    no offense to that builder of those machines but if I were going to do it that way I'd just use my hands. Besides, why would I spend 130$ on something that works when I could spend twice that much and 60 hours of my life building one?