MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 450 Bushmaster comming my way

Question, gents......

Is there enough room in the magazine to load the American .450BM "long"?? The thought of loading up an appropriate sized 500+ grain boolit at 900-1000fps is intriguing.....if it'll feed and chamber.
    There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

Boolit Mold
    I'm curious about that as well. It would be interesting to see how quiet that is, compared to subsonic 44s with a suppressor.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I'm ordering one today that's not catalogued that has a 22" barrel with no brake and is stainless. I'm not a fan of brakes. I have enough rifles that I won't hunt with anymore that wear them. I shot my POF a couple months ago coyote hunting and it felt like my ear was bleeding and bruised inside for 4-5days. Didn't even want to hunt. Its great if your going to spin on a can but pitch that thing and put on the protector when your hunting(fyi it will change your point of aim if you do this).. I want to gain the extra velocity with the longer barrel and have the blast farther away from my ear. That thing isn't going to recoil bad to begin with. ..about like a 20 guage which is nothing. I'm 6'2" and 250lbs so I can tollerate a lot...till it comes to my 375 RUM. I watched gunblasts youtube video on the 16.5" verion. He said the bullet can be seated a 1/4" further out to add more powder and ran it up to 2500fps with no pressure signs. I talked with Randys sporting goods in Bad Axe yesterday (the founder of these guns) and I was told they have ran them up to 3000fps before casing pressure signs started showing(I would have to beleive it with my own eyes). They offer 7 (6 non ruger catalog, theyre all on gunbroker)versions and also have a youtube video showing grouping with hornady leverrution ammo out to 300 yards. They must have cherry picked one of the rifles that liked the load for the test being the two hundred yard group touched and the 300 yard group was a little over an inch! You can only dream all of Rugers rifles would shoot that way from factory. I'm sure with the right powder and bullet combo I will get mine to shoot that tight. I would like to eventually get the carbine verson if the bill passes that a tax stamp is not needed as from what I've seen there is only one manufacturer making a supressor for it and it costs a grand...twice as much as the rifle.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-07-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Perma-Banned
    Although not cheap, a good suppressor improves any rifle a lot. Not only are noise and blast reduced but also recoil.

https://www.silencershop.com/silence...-vers-458.html

This is a good one and can be used on mulitiple big bore rifles, reducing the cost/gun a lot.

Hopefully the "do nothing congress" will get around to passing the safe hearing act.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...protection-act

and I'll get my $600 bucks back and you can buy a can with no more hassle than a long gun.

They are WONDERFUL !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AUG 223 - 1.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	194970

Perma-Banned
    I'll be interested to hear how your Ruger does with cast boolits. My Bushmaster shoots bugholes with Hornady jacketed bullets BUT every cast boolit from 185 to 500 gr just cannot do better than several inch groups at 50 yards. The prize has wasted many hours, lead, powder etc. with no results. Hope the Ruger does well with lead !

Well, I went the other way and ordered the catalogued 16" version with a brake from cabelas a few minutes ago. I had enough points along with my $300 beretta nano sale that I paid $67 to boot. It will be at the store around the 18th. In all the research I did the last couple of days shooters are only getting a 150fps gain with the 22" barrel. Cabelas can't get the 22"verson so it would have ran me about $400 plus the nano by the time I paid for shipping and paperwork.

I'd get a thread protector first thing. Or electric tape lol.

Boolit Master

Shot the 450 bushmaster today, not so good

I shot it at 25 yards to zero in, then went to 50 and was 2 inches to the left, made the adjustments to the scope and missed the whole target backer!. put the scope back the way it was set at 25 yd and shot again And missed the target again! I checked every thing to make sure it was all tight and could find nothing wrong with the gun. but the dial on the scope 1.5-5 power could not be turned? I think the scope is going to leupold to be fixed. well I finished the box of ammo just to get used to the trigger and now I`ll put a new scope on it and see how it will shoot . And by the way this little gun kick`s more than any 20 gauge that I ever shot. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I'd get a thread protector first thing. Or electric tape lol.
    It comes with one and the brake

Mine did not come with a threaded cap. It was either an early model that Ruger didn't include one with or cabelas dropped it on the ground when checking it in and inspecting it. Anyways ruger is sending one to me. The scope rail was scratched up and blueing missing from the brake...ruger is going to send ou t replacements for them as well. The box was a little beat up. I'm sure its been passed around to many customers for show n tells.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12