Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Is this OK for Satans lube?

Boolit Master

Is this OK for Satans lube?

My first time making my own lube. I made this for pan lube.

I followed instructions on the forum. After the soap foam went down (I used 2 oz as this is TX), I removed from the low heat and added the beeswax. I guess it wasn't warm enough because some of the wax didn't melt.

I put it back on the burner and melted the wax on very low heat. It was looking good, about like melted 50/50. I hadn't planned on actually lubing any bullets, but since it was already liquid, decided to. So I ran inside, but couldn't find the cake pan I was looking for. When I checked the pan, it was foaming a bit. I went ahead and poured into muffin tins, but when I got to the bottom of the pan, there was maybe 1/4 cup of watery applesauce. I went ahead and poured it in top of the muffins and here's how they ended up:

It seems as though the ingredients separate pretty easily if not get warm & stirred.

Will they remix when I melt to lube, or is this batch a bust?

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not an expert, nor have I made any Satan's Lube although it is similar in manufacture to FWFL which I have made. Looks like you didn't get the soap all melted sufficiently before adding the BW (ask me how I know!). After the foaming stops you need to get it hotter and mix until the liquid is translucent, if I recall correctly about 425*. Let it cool a bit, 300* or so, and then melt in the BW. I don't know if it's salvageable in its current state. To get it hot enough to melt the soap you'll probably scorch and ruin the BW. I have not tried to do that. I just threw it out and started another batch.
    Hope this helps.

Banned

that's what the soap bubbling and giving off the water looks like.
    you need it all gone before adding the wax.

I would scrape that goop off as best as I could then do a re-melt.
    your lube should still be okay, just not the exact recipe you started out looking for.

Boolit Master
    Thanks river, that appears to have worked.

Remelting brought the rest to the top. Letting it cool a bit made a gravy skin on top I could scrape off.

These aren't precision boolits so, probably no big deal.

Boolit Master

Run hit the nail on the head. Just let it cook a little longer before adding beeswax. Good luck with the remelt.

I have had no luck melting this lube back down after adding the b-wax. I find one of the biggest pains with satans lube is not being able to melt it down to pour in the sizer. Its a pain but I can't argue with the first shot from a cold barrel always being in the group.
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Does that mean this lube in NOT good for Pan lubing ???

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by nun2kute View Post
    correct, but it should work good for finger lubing at room temp.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    thanks JonB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nun2kute View Post
    Generally speaking any of the lube formulas with a significant soap content that also contain beeswax aren't great choices for pan lubing. If you get them hot enough to melt you will probably scorch the beeswax.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Buddy
    I haven't done enough experimenting to figure that out yet, but I am sure glad you have. Thanks Elkins !

Boolit Master
    For pan lubing you need to make a fairly substantial amount of lube. The Darr lube (Vaseline and paraffin with a little STP) or maybe a lithibee formula might be a good option. You can make a giant bucket full of either for not a whole lot of cost.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

Simple Lube works well as a pan lube also.......
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

My experience has been good with re melting satan's lube. And I exclusively pan lube with it. My batch has been melted several times with no problems. Low heat.... just enough to liquify it.

As for adding the soap, I suggest melting outside or in the garage. While getting it hot enough to render the soap, it produces lots of smoke. That means the paraffin/vasoline is getting near the flash point, and could burst into flames. Haven't had it happen yet, but I expect it to maybe happen someday. And as others have said, beeswax added last after a small cool down

I also altered my recipe. I use.....

9 parts paraffin
    6 parts vasoline
    6 parts bees wax
    And 1 part soap.

It seems to group better in warm weather (45- 70). Use original recipe for cold weather use.

Stick with 1 part soap. It is just a binder for the other ingredients. If you add more then 1 part soap, you will get excessive foaming. And it doesn't take more then one part to do job it is supposed to do.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 06-29-2017 at 08:43 PM.