WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone load for lyman slugs?

Boolit Buddy

Anyone load for lyman slugs?

Iv been loading for the 545 slugs by lyman. I load to 45 grains of blue dot. Anyone else load this amount? You feel that these loads are stressing the gun any? These loads seem to be exstream in a way. Would you say these are max levels or not? I wouldn't think lyman would put these on anyone's harm.

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman 525 Slugs you mean? Have never come across 545.

In your search - maybe you could use the SEARCH function here? A LOT of wisdom on this forum regarding Lyman 525 Slugs!

Boolit Master

is that a published load in a reputable book-----do not use the internet for loads unless it is a manufacturers site.

In Remembrance
    I take mine to 46gr of B-Dot all the time, and I've taken them 2gr higher than that. My loads only use either the Win "AA" hulls or Rem STS or Premier hulls. Recoil varies from person to person, and the 46gr is mediocre for me, and the ole Mossberg handles the loads just fine. And I use a rifled barrel and not the smooth-bore..
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    Well they are hard on the recoil !!!

If I recall it was a load of, 43.5 blue dot, and a waa12r wad, with a Win 209 in a Winchester Compressed Form case (double a). 2 3/4"

recoiled enough that we checked and rechecked the load. checked the powder. checked the weight of slugs average was 515 grs. or so.

Have no good reason to shoot any of these loads, mold and data just sets waiting until and if I ever have use for the slugs.

Boolit Master
    was out of an 870 slug gun

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    I take mine to 46gr of B-Dot all the time, and I've taken them 2gr higher than that. My loads only use either the Win "AA" hulls or Rem STS or Premier hulls. Recoil varies from person to person, and the 46gr is mediocre for me, and the ole Mossberg handles the loads just fine. And I use a rifled barrel and not the smooth-bore..
    Sorry guys yes 525 grains. I shoot mine out of a mossy 590A1 . My friend even said that it's a lot more power then 3 inch slugs he shoots. It just feels like it's a lot of power. I hear a lot about what im shooting that it's that loud. I didn't know if this load at 45 grains was maxed out or not. I'm loading Reminghton black hulls with WAA12 wads.

Boolit Buddy
    You guys think these 525 lyman slugs are accurate?

Boolit Grand Master

What rancher1913 said... use published load data with all components listed. Changes of hulls and/or primers for a given charge of powder can affect pressures dramatically... like up to 3000 PSI according to loading manuals and Tom Armbrust's pressure testing.

Not to say that substitutions can't be made but they should be made carefully and with some knowledge, along with cross referencing.

A quick search shows Blue Dot charges ranging from 41 to 46.5 grs. with pressures ranging from 7300 to 11,200 (PSI? LUP?) depending on hull and primer. On that note the lowest pressure listed at 7300 is with 44 grs. of Blue Dot. 41 grs. of Blue Dot in a different hull with different primer gives pressure of 11,000.

So, whether 45 grs. of Blue Dot is safe depends on what other components you are using.

In case you are not aware, shotshell reloading is not like metallic cartridge reloading. The components all work together and seemingly small changes can have large effects on pressure.

Play but play safe!

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Ya I'm going off of lyman book. Could I run like 40. Grains instead of 45 of the same components of I want to slow it down?

Boolit Master

"My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I have most likely loaded and shot over a 1,000 Lyman 525's that I cast out of soft lead. I used to shoot well over a hundred each year in preparing for the upcoming seasons( checking and changing optics and different guns). I started using load data provided with the slug with 44 grs of SR4756(IIRC) using Federal Gold Medal 2 3/4" hulls with fold crimp... I used the now obsolete Win Wa114(again IIRC) red wads, dusted with Mica... I knurled the slugs and filled the hollow cavity with hotmelt.... and yes, they did shoot very well in my Remington 870, Remington 1187 and Savage Slug guns... They are full power loads and more than a couple of hunting buddies did not like the recoil... I no longer load or shoot them for a couple of reasons... they were not as accurate in my Browning A-Bolt and SR4756 has been discontinued... over my journey with them I did not find the consistent accuracy with Blue Dot... I also believe that Lyman has changed their load data over the years and has lowered the powder they recommend...I now cast and load load the slug listed in SlugRus with good results
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I load the Lyman 525 slug in WW AA once fired hulls, WW 209 primers,AA12R wad, 44.0 grns of Blue Dot, right out of the Lyman book!!!! And, yes, they have a big recoil to them!! I like them, though. I haven't harvested anything with them yet, but I don't doubt they will do the job just fine!!! Fired out of a Rem. 870 -28" barrel with a screw in cylinder choke tube. no chronograph work yet, but it's coming soon!! Good luck.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    People at the range ask what I'm shooting when I let some off. Its a good kick for sure. My shooting buddy said these are more kick then 3inch sluggers or anything he has shot. I just feel that these are stressing my gun.

Boolit Mold
    I'm also trying to load the Lyman 525 12 ga sabot/slug. 1st attempt on Mec 9000GN was pretty rough. Wad pressure on insertion of wad/slug registered over 60. Since I've only used the machine about 8 years for trap and skeet loads I had no idea what would happen with slugs. got shell to crimp starter and things went really bad. ripped my last new spindex starter off the post and just barely finished loading 3 shells by pulling the starter off each started crimp/case. the shells look nearly identical to my skeet loads for crimp and finish. the load is aa hulls in Lymans 5th edition Shotshell handbook page 385 2nd from the top. nothing is mentioned about wad pressure so before my BPI brass crimp starter arrives I'd like to know how much shorter I can position the shot drop tube and to what pressure can be applied without wreaking anything. appreciate any comments. thanks much.

Banned

What wad and hull are you using???

Boolit Master

stressing your shoulder as well.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Mold
    On page 385 Lyman 5th Edition lists this load: Win HS hull, win 209, Fed 12S3 and 22.5 gr Unique. like I said no mention of wad pressure which I would expect loading slugs instead of shot would have to matter. Personally I think the high pressure might have swollen the hulls causing the wreckage to the crimp starter. Be willing to bet most of you guys have been there and done this before so fill me in please. Lyman gives a low velocity for this load and moderate pressure and I would expect it to perform safely. I see Federal hulls also used with this sabot and folded crimp so am collecting some plastic GMs to try. Appreciate any good advice.

Banned

I don't get using a straight-wall, wad in a tapered hull, I assume it is the newer AA HS which has a lip near the bottom. I am thinking the wad is not seating and getting stuck on the step/lip at the bottom end of the hull. Use Winchester/Remington style wads with the Winchester hull and see what happens. Lyman knows more than I do, that is axiomatic, but I don't get this "recipe"
    Last edited by jmort; 02-21-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Boolit Master

yes the 525 are fold crimp per book. don't confuse with lyman foster slugs on the same page.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast