RepackboxLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8mm cast boolit load data

Boolit Grand Master
    My sights set at 600 meter mark drops them into the middle of of a 200 yd. SR target.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Had a try again today and after a few rounds with 17gns 2400 and sights at 600 .
    bullet seated within the neck they were still no holes in paper.
    an experienced bp shooter and cast boolit shooter asked what's the issue.
    He knows it shoots great with full metal jacket and I told him what happened previous so my only option was to slug the bore.
    luckily he is an ex tool maker and carried the instrument in his car to measure my bore.
    it was shooting sized .323 boolits but my bore measured .325 / 6 .
    he shoots mausers / sharps and a mk 4 lee Enfield which shoots accurately with .314 boolits.
    so now we know what boolits I need.....I have some un sized .325 boolits but how can I seat the gas check?
    It will not beat me as it will shoot cast boolits to my satisfaction......lol

I have a mosin nagant and an sks, and both need the sight raised to hit where I am aiming, 4198 wont help, I use it and rel7 and still the sight stays high, jacketed bullets offer more resistance so they leave the barrel a little later in recoil, so when you shoot cast and the boolit leaves earlier in recoil it is angled lower than the jacketed bullet. no getting around it, that sight has got to come up. good luck, Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

mine are at 200 and 300 so you will have to find your rifles sweet spot, you might have gone to high, lol

what kind of sizer are you using, I have had a lee sizer lathed out before, I think it was lathesmith that did it, either way you need a bigger die, sorry, I know it can be frustrating but that's the answer to your problems right there. by the way, did you actually measure a slug or did he measure the inside of the muzzle with calipers?

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    what kind of sizer are you using, I have had a lee sizer lathed out before, I think it was lathesmith that did it, either way you need a bigger die, sorry, I know it can be frustrating but that's the answer to your problems right there. by the way, did you actually measure a slug or did he measure the inside of the muzzle with calipers?
    He had a set of instruments that entered the muzzle and you twist the end so a t piece opens up inside the bore and measures the width.....then he used a micrometer to get the reading.
    i did a search on here and they was another poster who asked about cast boolits for his verguiero and his measured .325 too....I even replied to his thread 7 years ago lol.
    am ordering some more boolits at .325 and trying again.

Previous boolits were bought in sized and gas checked at .323
    i sold my Starr and lyman 4500 years ago as I never really used them .
    lathesmith did make me a few dies for them too for martini Henry etc.
    i do have the lee push thru sizer here but would not be cost effective to send it to him.
    round 3 will come again as soon as I am kitted out

alright, well keep us updated, I am interested in you getting that rifle shooting right, I am sure it will. like I said , my 7.62X54 w/ 200 gr boolit and 17 or 18 grs of imr4198, needs to have its sight at 300 yards to hit point of aim at 50 yards

Boolits gas checked and sized around .325 are hopefully on their way tomorrow.
    i will use magnum primers this time even though all powder as been burnt from previous shootings.
    they was a chap on here with a verguiro asking more or less the same questions years ago too.
    most I spoke to have been using .325 boolits unfortunately I was using fmj sized cast boolits

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    #45 Lyman manual lists 19-24 gr for a 168 gr GC bullet and 16-20 gr for a 246 gr GC bullet both on #2 alloy . They used a 98 Mauser for their test . With the 168 gr bullet their most accurate load was the 24 grains. With the 246 gr bullet it was the 16 grain load . Speaking of 2400 of course . I would think somewhere in the 20-22 grain range would be about right with the 225 grain GC Lee bullet . They were using .323 bullets .

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    you can always hone a Lee sizer to the diameter you need, get you a 1/4" steel rod and some 4 and 600 grit sandpaper. Very carefully wrap the rod for a snug fit and roll it along a rough piece of wood or the like. It's easy to go too far, check regularly. As long as the shank is in spec, you should be able to apply gas checks and size out to .325". I suggest slugging your barrel too, just to double check that guy's measurements. If your groove diameter is actually .325-.326", then .325" boolits won't shoot that great either. I suspect the real measurement is somewhat smaller.
    Last edited by Boolseye; 01-31-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12