Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lube pressure, temp and how common sizers work?

Boolit Buddy

Lube pressure, temp and how common sizers work?

I'm fiddling with a thought, I'm curious if anyone could tell me about what type of pressure may be used in say a lyman or rcbs lube sizer to force something like a hard lube into the die? and to get the lube to the die does it have to surround the die? or is there some type of channel machined in the machine around it or directly to it? I wish I had one so I could see exactly how it works. I have a hard time coming up with money but I'm pretty good at building stuff that someone has already engineered and just takes a little bit of re engineering with parts of lesser value. and I'm getting anxious because I want a lube sizer and I haven't found the right deal yet. so I'm considering an attempt at a build. I would like to use proven designs in certain areas such as the dies and how the lube is fed to them. but I have no idea how it is done once it gets to the die. the reservoir is easy and the feed orifice from the reservoir to the die is also easy, but I don't know if they use a banjo style setup or just push it in on one side.

My Ideal #1 and Lyman #45 Lube-sizers do have a channel that surrounds the die. As far as I know, the more modern machines work the same way. As to pressure, I can't give you a number, I just have a feel of how hard it is to continue turning the wrench and stop there. I would suggest having a way for the top punch to float so it can self-center.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Buddy
    honestly I was going to somehat copy a saeco design, lyman and rcbs are by far my favorite design, but I cant make casting and I don't have a mill yet so some of the operations cant be done, atleast to the best of my knowledge, I'm going to try to handle this if I decide to take it on with nothing more then a bunch of indicators, a fly cutter some hss tooling and a sturdy drill press.

Boolit Master
    Think grease gun , in the side of a die sorta .

Boolit Buddy
    my exact thoughts!! I just have to figure out how to mount two rings for the rim and a the die without them tearing off the side of the "grease gun"
    It is all in vein now, I won a bid on a lube sizer lastnight on ebay, which I once again paid entirely too much for. I have a bad habit of doing that on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Think grease gun , in the side of a die sorta .

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Strtspdlx;3928991]my exact thoughts!! I just have to figure out how to mount two rings for the rim and a the die without them tearing off the side of the "grease gun"
    It is all in vein now, I won a bid on a lube sizer lastnight on ebay, which I once again paid entirely too much for. I have a bad habit of doing that on ebay.[/QUOTE. It happens , all you have to do to make it a better deal is to use it more often .

Boolit Buddy
    I will try to, I have to now buy dies. and I'm trying to find a place that is inexpensive so I can buy several as well as top punches. however I have no idea what top punches I need for my current castings, so onto researching I go, I really wish I had a lathe right now, I would just have to find bar stock and make my own.

the lyman 9th edition manual has a top punch guide for most brands of molds ( the more common ones at least) in the back of the book.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    Post what you need for your sizer and a member may have a extra that they are willing to let go reasonably priced . God only knows the stuff some of the members here have in a old box around the bench . I don't have much laying around but sometimes I find some strange gun related things in my house completely forgotten about for years .

Banned
    Yes, you could go to all that work to machine your own sizer lubricator complete with top punches. You could also simply purchase a machine like a Star and have something ready to go out of the box. Yes, make your own punches maybe even two piece punches for it.

Boolit Buddy
    Right now I know I need a .401 and .452 sizing die. As well as a die for 45-70, but I haven't gotten the rifle yet so I don't know what to get for that. I have to look at my reloading
    manuals when I get home. Now that someone mentioned it I do remember seeing top punches somewhere In Atleast one manual

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Yes, you could go to all that work to machine your own sizer lubricator complete with top punches. You could also simply purchase a machine like a Star and have something ready to go out of the box. Yes, make your own punches maybe even two piece punches for it.
    i would love a star. But right now that's not a possibility. One day I will have or make one though.

Banned
    Sound like you will make one. Pretty simple operation. The area around the die is machined to allow the passage of lube around the die. The die has a number of holes around it. The punch pushes the bullet into the die and the pump in energized slightly before the lube grooves align with the holes in the due for the lube. The bullet must be alligned so that the lube fills the lube groove at the correct time which is accomplished partly by the open height of the punch. Adjusting the punch height correctly determines the bullet location in the die. I only use one punch for ALL my bullets I size. I size and lube from 45LC to 380 so I use a two piece punch that is slightly under the diameter of a 380.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Sound like you will make one. Pretty simple operation. The area around the die is machined to allow the passage of lube around the die. The die has a number of holes around it. The punch pushes the bullet into the die and the pump in energized slightly before the lube grooves align with the holes in the due for the lube. The bullet must be alligned so that the lube fills the lube groove at the correct time which is accomplished partly by the open height of the punch. Adjusting the punch height correctly determines the bullet location in the die. I only use one punch for ALL my bullets I size. I size and lube from 45LC to 380 so I use a two piece punch that is slightly under the diameter of a 380.
    Don't star sizers push through nose first? if so I can see why there's no need for multiple punches. What do they use to adjust the height of the dies? I have visions of lee push through dies with a hole in them.

Boolit Master
    What lube sizer did you get Strtspdlx ?

Boolit Grand Master

Lube pressure, temp and how common sizers work?

Quote Originally Posted by Strtspdlx View Post
    What do they use to adjust the height of the dies?
    The height of the die isn't adjustable. You adjust the top punch. It's threaded so you can raise or lower it. The instructions on Magma's site have detailed drawings for every part and accessory.

I have a punch and lock nut for every mold. I have the bullet feeder so adjustment takes more time. If you don't have the feeder a punch for every caliber is all you would need. Just right down the punch dimensions for each bullet and you're good to go. You can use smaller caliber punches but I prefer to use ones that are the correct size.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    What lube sizer did you get Strtspdlx ?

I ended up getting a lyman 450 that looks to be in good condition from the pictures, it has a .357 sizing die and an unknown top punch with it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The height of the die isn't adjustable. You adjust the top punch. It's threaded so you can raise or lower it. The instructions on Magma's site have detailed drawings for every part and accessory.

I have a punch and lock nut for every mold. I have the bullet feeder so adjustment takes more time. If you don't have the feeder a punch for every caliber is all you would need. Just right down the punch dimensions for each bullet and you're good to go. You can use smaller caliber punches but I prefer to use ones that are the correct size.
    That sounds a lot easier then having a top punch for every bullet profile. sometimes I wish id run into a small lump sum of money so I can spend it right the first time, what it is to dream. I had thought about powder coating to avoid all of this, but I don't really agree with putting in all the work to cast nice bullets just to coat them and not be able to see my work. That and I haven't had any leading yet, I do have powdercoat on standby for my 10mm loads. I think they may be the only ones id need to coat if I decide to push them as hard as I want too.

Boolit Buddy
    I also posted in the wtb section for my die and top punch needs at the moment, right now I'm looking for .401 .452 dies and #460,429,43 top punches. id prefer to get it all from one person to attempt to save on shipping. But I don't see that happening very easily.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Strtspdlx View Post
    I do have powdercoat on standby for my 10mm loads. I think they may be the only ones id need to coat if I decide to push them as hard as I want too.
    Doubt it. I've found no need for PC w/ anything I shoot. Full bore 10mm loads w/ 800-X leave no leading. Proper fit and lube means no leading.