RepackboxTitan ReloadingADvertise hereRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners

Thread: Dillon custom powder funnel

Boolit Buddy

Dillon custom powder funnel

Do you make custom powder funnels for Dillon reloaders? I am interested in one for 38 that has a much longer case expanding section so that 148 HBWC's are not swaged down by the cases. .3585" diameter would be nice. I also want it to have a small step before the belling taper (like a Lyman M die) to help align the boolits for use on a progressive press.

Vendor Sponsor

Yes, I do make these on occasion. They generally run $24 + shipping. Unless you have really thick brass, or your Dillon dies are sizing your cases WAY down, an expander that's .3585 for HBWC's might leave them a little loose in the case. Unless, of course, your HBWC's are a little larger than .3585.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not sure how much neck tension I will need to do the trick for boolits that measure .357-.358". I expect the brass cases to have some spring-back after being stretched to the size of the powder funnel. The slight taper crimp should prevent boolits from peeking out of the cases and gumming up the works in a wheelgun. Flush seated tips have a long way to travel before they would lock up the cylinder. My Dillon funnels measure .353" so I am pretty certain my soft lead .357" tips are being swaged as they are seated in the cases. My supply of Star HBWC's measure .639" long so I want the expander section to be at least that long.
    My next item is a smaller diameter seater punch for the Dillon dies. I load some 105 SWC's to flush with the case mouth but would like seat them .125" below the case mouth. This same seater stem could also be used to seat the HBWC's a few thousandths below flush to prevent the crimp from swaging the boolit. Do you make these?

Vendor Sponsor

You definitely want your cases to grip your boolits tight enough so that they can't move in or out under normal conditions. You can feel how much case tension is happening when you can load your cases one at a time, like on a turret press or single-stage press, but it's not quite so easy with a progressive like the Dillon.

I'd suggest checking a few boolit diameters, then loading a few rounds as you normally do, and then pulling them and checking boolit diameter with a micrometer. If they are squeezed undersize after loading, you may have a problem; if they haven't changed in diameter, you should be good to go, providing they are being held tight enough to begin with.
    This can bring up another problem--when you use mixed brass, as is common in 38 Special, case thickness and neck tension can be all over the map. For best results, find your favorite brass, and stick with only that brass. It is more expensive, but you'll get a lot better consistency and can eliminate variables that can cause unexplained problems later.

I haven't made a different seater stem for a Dillon, but I would say it is a possibility.

Boolit Buddy
    My HBWC's went into the cases at .357 and came out at .354". The Dillon powder funnel measures .353". It took some very vigorous pounding with the inertia boolit puller to get them out!

Vendor Sponsor

It sounds like you have some serious swaging going on there! I'd say bumping up your expander size might be in order.

Boolit Buddy
    I've decided to try one at .357" diameter. I want it to be .357" for .640" from the start of the belling profile. I'd like the diameter to be a few thousandths larger (maybe .003"-.004"?) for about .060" (again ? the length of this section) below the start of the belling profile so tips set in cases on a progressive press would be inclined to stay in place before they are contacted by the seater stem.
    Tell me what the total is with shipping and how to pay you, please.

Vendor Sponsor

pergoman, PM sent with ordering and payment details for a Dillon powder funnel.

lathesmith

Boolit Master
    Just came up from installing custom expander funnel for my Dillon550 made by Lathesmith... couldn't be happier... Chris did an excellent job in making it for my 9x18 Makarov... Thanks Chris
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Mold
    If you are still doing the powder funnels for Dillon presses, I can use a couple.

Vendor Sponsor

Hi Dave, yes I can make Dillon funnels for you. I sent you a private message.

Thanks,
    lathesmith

Boolit Grand Master
    A quick shout out for Lathesmith

He made a custom Dillon 550 powder funnel for me. It is a great addition for loading cast bullets on a Dillon.

The factory Dillon powder funnels are clearly intended for jacketed bullets and are undersized for cast bullets. In addition, the Dillon funnels are designed to flare the case mouth in a funnel shape. I asked Lathesmith to make the custom funnel with a Lyman "M" die type profile. The Lathesmith produced funnel expands the case mouth to the appropriate diameter and the appropriate depth for my cast bullets. (Saeco # 382) The Lathesmith custom funnel also incorporates the Lyman "M" die style "step" to accept the bullet in the case. I couldn't be happier with the new powder funnel.
    Excellent work, thank you sir !

Boolit Man

PM set for a powder funnel.

Vendor Sponsor

Hi Herb, PM replied to, thanks.

lathesmith

are you still making powder funnels for the dillon 550?