Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Reduced 45/70 loads - What filler materials?

Boolit Master

Reduced 45/70 loads - What filler materials?

I'm wanting to work up some reduced loads for 45/70. I have read enough to believe Unique powder is the way ago.

I have never used filler. It seems like cotton balls would be the easiest to use. Not worried about starting a fire.

What fillers are working for you in 45/70?

Boolit Master
    Forget the fillers and fill the case with Trail Boss.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Fillers are not necessary if you use a powder which is easily ignited at low loading densities. While Trail Boss is more bulky and fills the case well, you can get near identical results with Red Dot, 700-X, WST, 231, Bullseye, Unique, etc.

The advantage of Trail Boss is that it is bulky and fills the case nicely. With light charges of other fast burners you must be VERY careful to avoid double-charging!!! I have fired thousands of rounds in original Trapdoors with 10-11 grains of Red Dot or 700-X with soft, 8BHN, 370-grain bullets in .45-70, with excellent accuracy to 200 metres, with subsonic velocity and mild recoil. You could get similar results with 14 grains of Unique or Universal, or 16 grains of Herco.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Unique under a 385 grain cast is my favorite light load of 45/70. Since 1970 loaded and fired maybe 30,000. Never used a filler. Trail Boss is bulky but it is comparatively high pressure for the velocity achieved.

Good info here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...use-of-fillers
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-20-2017 at 11:17 PM.

In Remembrance

Alliant 2400, SR4759, Alliant 5744, Reloder7, all work great with reduced loads for the .45-70. So too does real black powder, but there, you do need a filler, I have used 50 grains of FFg black powder, a 3/8 fiber wad (Circle Fly wads) and a 385-405 grain lead bullet with excellent accuracy and minimal recoil. A similar load of 45 grains of FFFg, 25 grains (volumetric measure) of Cream of Wheat cereal filler, and the same bullet worked just as well, maybe better. Straight wall cases work well with light loads and fillers for reduced recoil and expense. Read the sticky about fillers on this web site before jumping in head first.

Boolit Master
    I plan on shooting a lot or real BP in this gun. I'm just looking for a good 50 to 100 yd load for off hand fun. I'm looking a mold for light bullets. 350 gr or less. (Not for BP)

If I start on the low side is there any reason a filler would not work with Unique. I would like to keep the charge close to the primer.

I do load with TB but I have to use a small Harrell powder measure with the baffle removed to get consistent charges. I was just thinking about shortening a 45/70 case and soldering a wire handle in it to make a dipper.

I use about 10 grains of Unique with no filler under a 350gr bullet. Accurate enough for what I do and easy to shoot.

Boolit Master

I'm just looking for a good 50 to 100 yd load for off hand fun. I'm looking a mold for light bullets.
    The US Army 45/405/55 load (1,100 fps) for the Trapdoor carbine is right up your alley here. I duplicate this load and shoot hundreds of rounds a year out of a Marlin 1895, H&R Officer Model Trapdoor or issue Trapdoors. Most of the shooting is off hand or from kneeling or sitting positions. It holds well to 400 or 500 yards on E Type steel silhouettes depending on the wind. It does get a bit dicey with a 10 MPH or stronger cross wind. I've often run out of windage so that's when I break out the heavier infantry load.

I like the Lee 405 grain hollow base RN bullet or the Lyman 457192 plain base, but I often shoot enough of this load to use the Oregon Trail 405 grain bullets when I run out of home cast bullets. I buy them at their shop in Baker City, Oregon unsized and unlubed. I size them to .460 and lube with Alox for smokeless lods.

Best powder for it? Everyone will have a different answer, but I've obtained BP uniformity (Sds under 10) using a light charge of Hodgdon Tightgroup powder (no filler) with just over 2 MOA accuracy at 100 and 200 yards on paper with either an H&R rifle or a Marlin 1895.

You're in for a treat. The 45/70 is just a hoot to shoot off hand when you have a good rifle with good sights, either aperture or the military issue sights.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 01-21-2017 at 02:57 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    i have had good results in my 45-70's using RL-7 and the Lyman 457124 bullet, in my alloy it weighs about 395 grs. I also use a filler with the load. Puf-Lon is used by filling up the case after dispensing the powder and compressing the filler when seating the bullet. I shoot the bullets as cast and lubed with Lee Liquid Allox (LLA). I load trapdoor loads cause that is what I shoot them in. Also shoot the same load in my Handi rifle. These are very accurate loads and do not lead my barrel. Works for me.....JimP.

Boolit Master
    I used 13 gr of Unique behind the Ideal 457124 boolit in my Garrett Sharps carbine. No fillers. Light recoil, accurate enough for fun shooting out to 200 yards, and lands with authority, even at that range.

I've never found the light boolits like the Gould or the 457191 to be very accurate. Minute-of-deer at woods ranges is about it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post

Ditto 100%.. 70-100% free space under projectile, no compressed loads.

Best, safest way to make a reduced load with no detonation from undercharge, no needing to tip up barrel before shooting, and no chance to ring a barrell from filler or wadding possibly staying in the barrel.

Guess you could also go case full with a BP sub as well... even lower pressures..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    I was just thinking about shortening a 45/70 case and soldering a wire handle in it to make a dipper.

I do that for 45/70 trailboss loads.

Boolit Mold

More Trail Boss loads

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    For a milder load in a Trapdoor Carbine using Trail Boss, try 12.0 gr with a 405 gr cast bullet 15 Bn for 930 fps. No fillers. 11.5 gr TB works too but the group size was smaller at 12.0 gr, opened up slightly above that.
    Molon Labe

Boolit Master
    I know alot of guys here don,t like fillers and I am not saying they are wrong but for my experiance with the .45-70 it has worked best for me in light loads lose tuft of dacron pillow filling one bag lasts a long time lose fitting not compacted base of boolit touching the dacron. thirty years no problems but try and see what works best for you 5744 does not like fillers I never use them with that powder.