RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Anyone using WC844 in 308 winchester with cast?

Anyone using WC844 in 308 winchester with cast?

If so, please educate me. I just ordered #8 of WC844. I have several rifles in 5.56 I can use it in, but would like to use it for cast bullets in a 308 if that is a suitable combo.

Would you please tell where you found a place to purchase WC844?

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    Would you please tell where you found a place to purchase WC844?
    www.americanreloading.com 21.50/lb with their 15% discount code. Free shipping.

Boolit Master

Lawboy:

About 7 years ago I used W846 (not W844) with cast and had good results. Looking at my records:

~ 1.25 MOA for 100 Yard Target using RCBS 165 Sil with an Aluminum Gas check made from America-Max aluminum flashing. Two powder charges 26 Grains and 29 Grains. The 29 Grain gave an increased velocity over the 26 Grain charge that resulted in the group being ~ 1.5" higher impact.

(a) 26 Grains of W846, avg velocity for 10 rounds - 1597fps, Standard deviation 31, Lube Lyman Moly, boolit sized to 0.310, Airtemp 93

(b) 29 Grains of W846, avg velocity for 10 rounds - 1820fps, Standard deviation 63, Lube Lyman Moly, boolit sized to 0.310, Airtemp 93

Hope this will help you get started. I did not use any fillers or over powder "Wad" for this load.

Please do let us know where your were able to find W844 or W846 powder.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Mustang, thanks for the info. SD of 63 is pretty inconsistent. Maybe these WC powders are not the best idea for 308 after all. But of course, I will have to try WC844 just to see how it works, lol.

Boolit Master
    I am using 34.0g WC844, with the 175g Mihec GC boolit from a group buy. LBT Blue or Speed Green or TAC1, i've used all three with this combo, Bens' Red too.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Moderator Emeritus

Wc844 can be used in cast loads but works best in full case or mildly compressed loads. Loads that leave airspace in the case are not likely to do well in the accuracy department and may lead to very erratic ignition. Overall, there are better choices for cast in the 308. I'd look at 5744, 4895, and trailboss.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

I am currently using A5744 and it is great. 23.0grs under a 185gr Saeco #311 gives 1930fps, ZERO leading and 1 MOA accuracy. But A5744 is $35/lb in my neck of the woods. That is no bueno! Maybe I can get similar results with Reloader 7 or 4198. I will try those. The thing is, I shoot cast bullet silhouette matches and I practice. I plan to shoot 3000-4000 rounds in practice from March to November, plus matches. I was hoping to save a few pennies is all.