Load DataRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: New Lee 4-20 pot

New Lee 4-20 pot

I have a new Lee 4-20 pot. Is there anything that I should do to it before I start melting lead. The instructions that came with it don't mention cleaning it prior to using. I have 99% IPA would that work for cleaning out the oils and such?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would wipe it down with something that would remove any old that might be on the pot. I would then set it "outside" & turn it on. Can't say this is proper but what I would do.

Boolit Master
    put a block of alloy in it
    plug it in
    pour silver stream into mold

if you have thermometer, set temp to 700 degrees or so

Yes, there's something very important you need to do before using it: add a PID to it. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...o-4-20-furnace

Trying to chase the alloy temperature without a PID is very hard with the Lee 4-20 pot. You'll constantly be needing to adjust the knob as the alloy level varies. Put a PID on it, and fageddaboudit.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Moderator Emeritus

If I were to buy a New Lee pot today, I'd put some abrasive in the spout/valve area, then spin the valve rod with a drill, to 'mate' the two.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    If I were to buy a New Lee pot today, I'd put some abrasive in the spout/valve area, then spin the valve rod with a drill, to 'mate' the two.
    Stupid question, but you clean the abrasive out, correct?

Boolit Master

I'm with Jon on that. It will save you grief later on in the form of annoying drips.

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1797.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	185665I turned mine upside down to get the dust out and filled it up and turned it on. It works great and doesn't drip....yet. I have been using this set up to regulate heat and I only have to make minor adjustments from time to time as the lead level changes.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master

Yes on the cleaning. Another thing to be careful about, keep your valve shaft plum during the lapping process.

Guys. Thanks for the tips.

Have an RCBS ProMelt beside it so that you can cast with the RCBS and use the Lee as a premelt. Ladle from the Lee to the RCBS as you go along. That's about all I can suggest. I fought with the lee for a very very long time.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Electric88 View Post
    Stupid question, but you clean the abrasive out, correct?
    Yeah sure.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master

99o/o IPA,that would be some strong beer. Moonshine Ale
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Yes on the cleaning. Another thing to be careful about, keep your valve shaft plum during the lapping process.
    For sure. The older style handle/bracket would allow for lapping, with it fully assembled, which keeps it plumb. I'm not sure if that's possible with the new design?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    99o/o IPA,that would be some strong beer. Moonshine Ale
    That sure would be a heck of a beer. Sorry it's 99% Isopropyl alcohol.

fwiw, I've used a Lee 4-20 for the last year without any problems. Of course it occasionally drips but when it gets to where a shake of the handle doesn't help, I clean it out and start over but so does my pro-melt. Only thing I did was wipe the excess oil out of it before I melted the lead and started casting. I ended up getting a new Pro-Melt last month because it was a good deal but if I was paying full price, I'd take the Lee and use the money for more lead or molds. A PID will be your friend but you can cast fine bullets without one.

Boolit Buddy

I agree with what jon B said, I used water as a test to see if it had worked successfully and it dripped water before I did the abrasive and did not after.

Boolit Master

Ahh.... the old Lee drip-o-matic. Put something under the spout to catch the drips. Lapping the rod and nozzle helps for a while.

I've got two Lee pots, one is about 40 years old and I haven't fired that one up in ages. The other one is fairly new, about a couple of years. I use it to melt what little pewter I find.

I also have a Sarco that was given to me by a fishing buddy. I really need to pull it out, clean it off and see if it works.

My RCBS works so well that I really don't want to fiddle with anything else. I should get a second pot running. I cast fishing lures/jigs quite often and I use pure lead for that. I have to remove lead from the RCBS so I can alloy up for boolits.

I've got to look into a PID for my RCBS. I'm not very mechanical though and worry I'll screw it up.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I agree with what jon B said, I used water as a test to see if it had worked successfully and it dripped water before I did the abrasive and did not after.
    Cycle it to dry it out if you do this!
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.