RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swiss still the go to powder?

Boolit Buddy

Swiss still the go to powder?

I haven't shot my Sharps in about ten years since we lost our NCOWS range at Ackley Ia.
    I found a place in Il. that has buffalo shoots now so thought I would start shooting it again. So was wondering if Swiss was still the go to powder?

Thanks Scott

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Swiss still has a large following. Goex has the Olde Eynsford powder that is quite good as well, and leaves a fouling that is a bit easier to deal with.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    The N-SSA (I believe) burns more black powder than any organization in the USA. Many top shooters using Swiss and Old Eynesford,in many types of firearms, both muzzle and breech loading. Primary reasons are decreased fouling, more consistent velocities.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Banned

i think it's hard to argue against swiss 1-1/2f for bpcr/bptr cartridge rifles when you read the shooting gear of event/match winners around the country, if not world.

Boolit Buddy
    Scott, I used to shoot at the Ackley range and really miss it. I wonder every now and then as to what happened with all the Iowa shooters after the range closed. A fellow from north central Iowa bought the silhouette targets and tries to have 3 matches a year. He's about 60 miles south of spirit Lake.

Boolit Buddy
    Old-Win,
    The only ones I see anymore are Dave Williams, Steve Ehilers and John Miller. I hear Steve Witt and Blaine Miller are still around spending a lot of time with grand kids.
    After Cedar Valley Regulators lost the range a lot of people lost interest.

Boolit Master
    Swiss still rules the world, and by a very hefty margin.

I sure do miss Ackley. I have about 150 rounds loaded and labeled specifically for that event. Just waiting for it to return...

Come on up to Lodi WI and join us for mid and long range matches.

A large part of the Ackley herd is getting shot at now is at Milan Illinois now.

Boolit Buddy
    I just heard about Milan, and that's why I'm breaking out the sharps.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    Swiss still rules the world, and by a very hefty margin.
    Brent, you KEEP telling everyone! Shhhhhh. I might have to shoot against them some time!
    Chill Wills

I got a mixed case of 2F and 1.5F Swiss last season. It was the first I got in the past 15 years or so to give it a shot again. I will say that it shot well but at the Q and Montana 1000 I had some issues using it, so I switched using it between relays.
    At the MT 1000 during the practice I had a problem keeping swiss on with just 50% or less hits. The OE during practice shot better. This was using the Danielson prolate in the .45-90 and the BA 444-540.
    Came match day I just had 20 rounds left over that where loaded with 83 gr of 2F OE with the BA .444 diameter bullets. I thought I had a full box of this load setback but I did not, just 20. I used the 82 gr 1.5 swiss load with the Prolate bullets and the first three targets @ 1000 yards I only got 5 out of 10 on them. I told my Wife to get the box of 83 gr 2F OE for the last target. She came back saying you only have 20 rounds in this box . I said I only need 11 All 11 hit. Carol said your holding white and just outside the white center.
    Now I must say that I did not have much time working on a load using the swiss and all tests where at 200 yards so I cant say that the OE is better then the swiss because I spend much more time using the OE and I have a load developed with it with long range load development.
    Kurt

Boolit Buddy
    I have been reading that the new batches of Swiss are different than the old ones, looks like I might have to develop a new load.

Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    I have been reading that the new batches of Swiss are different than the old ones, looks like I might have to develop a new load.
    If you're going to have to start from scratch, it won't hurt a thing for you to give the Olde Eynsford a try.

Boolit Buddy
    Don, thanks for your advice. For a 45-90 would you still use 1 1/2 or move to 2 f

I like 82 gr. 1 1/2 in the 90. My shooting pardner shoots 85 gr of 2 f in his, and another shooter that does quite well says he's found his 90 load at 81 gr. of 2f.
    A shooter friend of mine that has retired from shooting due to health issues, switched from 1 1/2 Swiss to OE just before he quit and sold his rifle, he said he started with his measure set for the Swiss, ended up using 2 more gr. and got tighter groups with the OE than he ever did with Swiss.
    Its a bunch easier to deal with the fouling with OE than Swiss.
    Try some of each, see which your rifle tells you it likes. Can't go wrong with either.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks again, I will get both.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    If you're going to have to start from scratch, it won't hurt a thing for you to give the Olde Eynsford a try.
    Except your wallet and your time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    Except your wallet and your time.
    ... priceless.

Boolit Buddy
    That's ok, I like doing load development and having multiple powders to be able to use incase something happens. I have a bunch of KIK that I'll give a try.
    Last edited by sac; 01-23-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Banned

it's nice to check out different powder brands, and even diff'rent granulations, but not everyone has that luxury, particularly for some who can only have mail order access to black powder. though i'd used lotsa other brands in the past, a few years back i cut to the chase to save both time and money, and went with the very popular swiss for all my black powder firearms, both muzzle and breech loaders. might not be the best powder brand for all my guns, but it sure ain't the worst i'd reckon. besides, even within the same brand and granulation, there's plenty of testing to be done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast