Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M48 Mauser

Banned
    Last edited by runfiverun; 02-01-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Banned

As usual Mr Humble is belittling people. Weren't you just spanked and told to knock it off?

If you look closely you will see a M48 and a M24/47 in the first pic.

But look here is a better pic of the M48. And two Yugo SKS's with "teak" wood stocks.

But little does Mr Humble know that I build wood boats and help a friend who restores old ChrisCrafts. I have built five boats out of wood. Lots of steaming stips to bend around a frame and nailing the whole thing together. But who am I to know about working with REAL Teak on these older boats. I used my first scull boat for hunting duck for almost 20 years before I sold it off.

Before you belittle a person on this post and any other you might want to do a little more research of the person before you do.

That's a nice looking collection Tomme, and some good photography.

Banned

Can't believe I didn't get my toes in the pic. But I think that is mandatory isn't?

Boolit Master
    On mine the stock was so soaked with cosmoline it took weeks of work to get it out

Banned

I think if your south of the equator you only have to have 1.5 toes in the picture and flip flops are optional.

north of the Equator you get a higher reign of freedom.
    a shadow, the dog, 3 other things not for sale, are all allowed but not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I think if your south of the equator you only have to have 1.5 toes in the picture and flip flops are optional.

north of the Equator you get a higher reign of freedom.
    a shadow, the dog, 3 other things not for sale, are all allowed but not necessary.
    Or my favorite-the laundry!

Banned

Normally I have a cat in the back ground. They think they have to be in all pics.

I wish I bought more of these back when I had my c&r. Same as with all of the old guns. I can't believe what all of these guns go for now. And the ammo! My UPS guy hated me for about 3 years! All of the 8mm and 54r was about 3 cents shipped each from Century Arms.

I had a carbon monoxide detector that kept going off. I contacted the fire dept to come over to help find it. They came and I led them to the basement where all the ammo was and they freaked out. I had the wood crates ceiling high and 8 stacks. The next day I got a call from my old ladies uncle who is a Detective for the local Police. He tells me the Fire Dept reported me. We both laughed and that was the end of that!

Anyway, I have seen a bunch of pics on how they get all of the cosmo. They dunk the rifle into the liquid cosmo several times. Thats how everything is so clogged up. Also why the wood has soaked up so much of the oil.

Heat is your friend to get most of it out. Summer time is the best time. Wrap it in newspaper and put in a plastic black garbage bag. Then set it outside on your deck or in the back window of the car to soak up the heat. Keep repeating this till most of it is gone. Initial cleaning is boiling water. A complete take down to each individual part is needed to get them completely clean.

Boolit Master
    Ran across this on Wikipedia, a description of an Australian tree.

"White beech was previously classified in the Verbenaceae, but its genus and many others have been transferred into the mint family Lamiaceae.[4] White beech is the standard trade name for the timber, as well as a common name for the species,[4] due to the similarity of the wood to that of European beech.[5] Other common names include grey teak.[4]"

I'd noticed that a White African Teak was mentioned as a substitute for Indian teak.
    Could be that European White Beech has been marketed as Teak.

Woods with similar qualities are often lumped in with true species in commercial sales. African and Indian Rosewood for example are not true Rosewood, true Rosewood only grows in the Americas.

I would love to sporterize a 48 using the original barrel. What a nice light rifle that would be. And power enough for anything I'll hunt.

Boolit Master
    The Yugos either the M48 or the 24/47 make fine sporters.
    I have several. And a half dozen still in military dress waiting to be built into custom rifles.
    None are pristine , so I don't mind making them into something nicer and more useful.
    I need to make a Switch barrel set up for one of them , so I can sell off a lot of the others.
    I have several sporters in the 8mm and customs already in 25-06 and a couple .308's
    Plus barrels to make a couple of 257 Bobs and more .308s
    Those are perfect on the shorter Mid Length action
    Last edited by LAGS; 02-03-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    Ran across this on Wikipedia, a description of an Australian tree.

"White beech was previously classified in the Verbenaceae, but its genus and many others have been transferred into the mint family Lamiaceae.[4] White beech is the standard trade name for the timber, as well as a common name for the species,[4] due to the similarity of the wood to that of European beech.[5] Other common names include grey teak.[4]"

I'd noticed that a White African Teak was mentioned as a substitute for Indian teak.
    Could be that European White Beech has been marketed as Teak.

Woods with similar qualities are often lumped in with true species in commercial sales. African and Indian Rosewood for example are not true Rosewood, true Rosewood only grows in the Americas.
    Wood is often missold. Its rampant in the guitar industry, especially with anything from overseas. Brazillian Rosewood is what everybody wants for fretboards, but expensive due to restrictions on logging down there. So your not going to find it in low end stuff despite the advertising. They were pushing some wood from Australia for a while, cant remember the name. In Aus it was considered garbage wood, guitar companies are bad about laminating wood. Yea in a rifle its great adds to the strength. A guitar, screws up the tone. But easy to cover up with a thick paint job. Was common to sand a cheap one down and find big knots or 20 thin layers all glued together.

I know the stock on my M48 aint teak, its to soft.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    They NEVER made teak stocks. They are walnut or Elm. That is it. Wood is very hard to identify by the looks alone. Over on the old ParillaxBill web site this was beat to death years ago when that was the #1 site for milsurps. One of the members was a student at a college our in California that did I think it was a type of DNA testing on it. It was a agricultural type research. All kinds of wood shaving were sent to him and were test as walnut and elm. Not one TEAK piece was identified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    It sucks that the cosmoline kept your rifle in like new condition.

Join the group of Milsurp and hope all your purchases are the same.
    The wood will be a European cheap hardwood. No government spent money for pretty, great wood. Only serviceable for the task at hand.
    Enjoy the task of cleaning it up and the research into the actual weapon and time period. THAT is the pleasure IMHO.
    Red elm. Plentiful, sufficient, and cheap.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    They NEVER made teak stocks. They are walnut or Elm. That is it. Wood is very hard to identify by the looks alone. Over on the old ParillaxBill web site this was beat to death years ago when that was the #1 site for milsurps. One of the members was a student at a college our in California that did I think it was a type of DNA testing on it. It was a agricultural type research. All kinds of wood shaving were sent to him and were test as walnut and elm. Not one TEAK piece was identified.
    Quote Originally Posted by flint45 View Post
    On mine the stock was so soaked with cosmoline it took weeks of work to get it out
    About a week and a half with stripper, chalk whiting mixed with MEK and careful work with a heat gun. Hand guard was the worst.
    Around the action and grip, there was gun oil soaked in. That came out as well. Did mine over Thanksgiving weekend and the next week.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I got a M48 BO back in the early 90s. Shoots great with surplus ball but that's getting low. I don't remember any Persian Mauser's being made by Yugoslavia. BRNO out of Czechoslovakia made them and later they built a plant in Iran to manufactuer them. Still have one of those BRNO preWWII actions in the safe from one of those full length rifles.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    "I don't remember any Persian Mauser's being made by Yugoslavia. BRNO out of Czechoslovakia made them and later they built a plant in Iran to manufactuer them. "

You are correct. Its been close to 50 years since I bought that rifle. In fact it was the first center fire rifle I ever bought from a gunshop. I paid the princely sum of $35 for it in as new condition. Within a few months I bought a Lyman nut cracker with dies for the 7.92X57 and the .38 Special. Been handloading off and on ever since.
    Because the muzzle blast using milsurp ammo was pretty fierce I looked up light starter loads for the G 33/40 using IMR 4198 and 4227. Cut down the muzzle blast and recoil considerably.

Reminds me of a line from Spinal Tap. "we're big in Bulgaria, or Hungaria, one of the Garias anyway", "we own our own soccer team, aren't many Hungarios can say that now are there".

Boolit Grand Master
    The surplus Turkish ammo kicked like a mule and had a muzzle blast like a naval gun. It is all but gone, and what I have seen in the last couple of years was a lot more expensive. Used to get a 70 round bandoleer for less than $5. I have some that I paid around $3 for.

Some was in good shape, other bandoleers had corroded cartridges, and the occasional ones that were spilling powder.
    I use 4227 with the LEE 175 gr. RN.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Master
    Bought a 70 round bandoleer of the Turk 8mm several years ago. I fired one round out of my M48 and the bolt was hard to open, I thought it was maybe a fluke. One more round was fired over the Chrony, 2950 fps and another hard bolt opening. One round was broke down the weigh the bullet, it was 154 gr. I still have 67 rounds and yes it kicked like a mule and cut the grass in the back yard. More reasons to load my own.

Dave

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, it is hot. A friend took all of it apart and reduced around 10%. Tamed it nicely. There were a lot of split necks on the fired rounds.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

I've still got about 1 1/2 cases of the Turk ammo, some in the blue and some in the tan bandoleers. A friend and I pulled the bullets on about 1,000 rounds, dumped and salvaged the powder and bullets, but trashed the corrosively Berdan primed cases. Now that there's been so many posts about how to reuse the cases I regret scrapping them. The powder charges ranged all the way from the low 40 to high 50 gr., and we settled on 46 if I remember correctly. We reused the powder and bullets in new Remington brass and it made some very accurate ammo.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast