Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kings James Version

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

Kings James Version

I will adhere to as newer version of GOD's word . Will no longer post by KJV . Understanding , clarity is paramount . Without clarity there is confusion . Bear with me . It is hard . Thank you . Change is hard .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Banned

Everyone picks the translation they like best
    Amplified for me
    So what is your choice?

Boolit Master

How about the NKJ?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

I think they all have their place, at times. I studied a little Greek, but can't say I am really able to read the original New Testament. It is interesting to pick apart words in the original writing, though.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure I understand. I prefer to read the KJV's antiquated language possibly because it forces me to slow down and think about what the scripture is saying. Reading aloud is another matter as I'd probably have trouble reading a grocery list coherently. I guess like any public speaking opportunity it takes practice.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am using the NIV Quest.

Don Verna

Boolit Master

I like the RSV, NRSV and ESV. They are all pretty close to one another. They are good readable word-for-word translations.

The Amplified is very useful in that it provides a word-for-word translation with "explanation" built in to the text.

The best translation is one that can be read and understood easily. When the books of the Bible were originally written they were in the everyday language of the people. The King Jame Version seems to create an unnecessary distance between today's audience and the Bible. While poetic, it is very formal and archaic English. It was also translated using newer manuscripts than the modern translations.

I'd bet for most casual readers, they'd get the most from reading a Bible specially translated for children (e.g., New International Reader's Version).

Super Moderator Emeritus
    New American Standard mostly because all can follow me. stay with a translation by a known group. And I too like amplified as it give most of the meaning of a word.

I was raised on KJV . My Sunday school teachers , my parents taught the difference in the , thou , thine . Times have changed. New word . New generation . New opportunity for salvation . Simple would be his choice , but who be to me , more figuring out . I will be hard put , bear with me .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    I was raised on KJV . My Sunday school teachers , my parents taught the difference in the , thou , thine . Times have changed. New word . New generation . New opportunity for salvation . Simple would be his choice , but who be to me , more figuring out . I will be hard put , bear with me .
    The one thing the KJV does that newer versions do not do is differentiate between when one person is being addressed (the use of "thou") vs a group of people being addressed (the use of "you"). This can help the reader understand a passage more clearly.

Boolit Master

I use the NKJV. It eliminates some of the archaic language uses of the early 17th century but retains the majestic prose the King James scholars were able to transcribe from the texts available. Lots of study helps available. Still love the old Matthew Henry commentaries but not averse to Eugene Peterson's paraphrase, The Message. ESV is very good. The one you read is best.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

My GOD My God . GOD's Word not understood ? A failing !

Read his word in your way , you bible . be steadfast . yours to think , yours to live by , yours to. Go in peace .

I read the KJV and sometimes a 1611 version. Either can be mastered in very little time. I don't have a problem with other versions. Just prefer KJV.

I grew up with the King James version. I still love it, but I use an ESV now. (And understand it better....)
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    I read the KJV and sometimes a 1611 version. Either can be mastered in very little time. I don't have a problem with other versions. Just prefer KJV.
    Me too.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I read the nkjv on a regular basis, but when I'm studying a subject or matter I include several. 2 of which I keep copies close by, which are Christain athletes and God's Word versions. I also like referencing niv, nlt, amplified and several others from time to time. I generally don't like study bibles with all the commentaries, it clusters up the pages and breaks up the Spirit of the Word to me.

Before I read, there's always 1 thing I have to do. I have to pray. I start by reminding Him of what is written in John, that He would send us a helper, a teacher. Then I ask Him to teach me and I allow Him. I guess what I'm doing is inviting Him in and allowing Him His will/way. What I don't do is read with my understanding, I read with the full assurance that every word is true. I was never a English scholar as some may have perceived, but I thing that dealing with the bible and Christains or just people in general. Is that we all have been brain washed in our lives by words and depending on how and where you grew up, was educated and or the company you kept, has a impact on how we perceive words of the English language.

I tend to believe the verse, "I will confound the wise". So I'm sure not to think of myself as being wise, other than following Christ

Boolit Buddy

KJV all the way here!

Here is an example...

KJV Revelation 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

NIV Revelation 22:16 I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you[a] this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star

That seems kind of close. Right? Jesus refers to himself as the Morning Star in both KJV and the NIV.
    But...

KJV Isaiah 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations.

NIV Isaiah 14:12 How you have fallen from heaven, morning star, son of the dawn!
    You have been cast down to the earth,you who once laid low the nations

It appears that the NIV calls Jesus the morning star in Revelations but has him being cast from heaven in Isaiah.
    Don't be hood-winked by these rewrites. Why would you... for the sake of easy reading? God's word does not need rewritten.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama358 View Post
    KJV all the way here!

Here is an example...

KJV Revelation 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

NIV Revelation 22:16 I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you[a] this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star

That seems kind of close. Right? Jesus refers to himself as the Morning Star in both KJV and the NIV.
    But...

KJV Isaiah 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations.

NIV Isaiah 14:12 How you have fallen from heaven, morning star, son of the dawn!
    You have been cast down to the earth,you who once laid low the nations

It appears that the NIV calls Jesus the morning star in Revelations but has him being cast from heaven in Isaiah.
    Don't be hood-winked by these rewrites. Why would you... for the sake of easy reading? God's word does not need rewritten.
    Yeah, I saw this at this link....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHUfOjjrFZo

Boolit Master
    I like the New King James myself, wife likes NIV, daughter likes the ESV.

I think the nicest bible I own, for reading purposes, is the one on my tablet, e-Sword.

I can configure it in numerous ways, one of them being a parallel bible of multiple versions. Read a verse in KJV, NKJV, ESL, NIV, Amplified, etc... take your pick. Having that at my fingertips is a very nice option, and my tablet is a lot smaller and lighter than dragging 3-4 full size study bibles around with me everywhere.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast