RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-06 brass to make 8mm Mauser

Boolit Master

Funny story about 8mm and 30-06: I’ve actually found range brass before that was 8mm fire formed in a 30-06 chamber. I did some research and found that it’s not unheard of, and under the right circumstances shoots ok (Not saying anyone should- ever!)

With light loaded U.S. commercial ammo using soft lead cored bullets, the smaller capacity round fire forms to the larger chamber. This would normally result in lower than normal pressures except that it’s squeezing a relatively soft .323 bullet through a .308 hole. Scary as heck but not necessarily kaboom.

Try that with a full power surplus 8x57 round, especially steel core, and I would fully expect guaranteed destruction.

Banned
    The reason the Rem/Win 8x57 has low pressures and soft bullets is to CYA if shot in 1888 Commission rifles w/.318 bores.

GEW 98s with 318 bores, when the .323 spitzer ammo came along, just had the grooves cut deeper and worked fine w/.323 ammo. The 8X60 also has a .318 bore w/deep grooves and shoots .323 bullets.

BUT you put ANY factory 8x57 in an 06' and bad things will happen as Hatcher documented.

Boolit Master

Yes, I’m well aware of why US commercial 8mm ammo has historically been so anemic. I’m certainly not advocating ever putting 8mm in a 30-06 for any reason, but I do have to respectfully disagree with your last statement.

I don’t disagree with the danger and I would never do it myself, even in the name of science with a rifle I didn’t like tied down to an old tire, but I’ve heard reliable stories over the years of it accidentally being done without shrapnel, and I’ve seen the hard evidence in the form of empty brass.

Kind of like playing Russian roulette with only one empty chamber: downright suicidal but not necessarily always fatal. You might get lucky.

Use military 30-06 brass with no caliber on the head stamp. No caliber stamped means no false caliber stamped in the modified 8mm brass. Head stamp reads L C 89 then it's not claiming to be any caliber and on the shooter to make sure they figure it out. Being in a box or container labeled 8x57 8mm mauser should help. I have heard of people that use a dye or marker to distinguish the brass as "different".
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    Dat's true.

I don't mind spending a few bucks for properly headstamed cases that will last forever with cast boolit loads.

No trimming, pp reaming, neck reaming etc. etc.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/72658

60 cents each, 20 reloads, 3 cents per load. (probably last 100 loads)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by charles1990 View Post
    Dat's true.

I don't mind spending a few bucks for properly headstamed cases that will last forever with cast boolit loads.

No trimming, pp reaming, neck reaming etc. etc.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/72658

60 cents each, 20 reloads, 3 cents per load. (probably last 100 loads)
    Actually the 06 brass is better and lasts just as long or longer if taken care of properly. They also have thicker case neck, which 8mm are notoriously thin, and thicker necks help a tad on accuracy by centering the bullet to the bore more. Yeah yeah, you probably won't notice that in an old war Mauser.

Boolit Master

I have to admit I’m just too cheap to buy brass for something that’s as easy to make as 8mm, but this thread has got me to thinking. I don’t want my kids someday trying to figure out what to do with Dad’s old junk, and have one of them put a reformed 8mm into a 30-06 and pull the trigger.

I’m going to dig out all my 8mm stuff and carefully deface any improper headstamps with a Dremel.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    Actually the 06 brass is better and lasts just as long or longer if taken care of properly. They also have thicker case neck, which 8mm are notoriously thin, and thicker necks help a tad on accuracy by centering the bullet to the bore more. Yeah yeah, you probably won't notice that in an old war Mauser.
    Privi brass is not too thin. Built to correct spec. Necked down 06 brass is overly thick. That's why Wilson/RCBS etc make neck reamers. By the time you buy a good 8X57 rifle (lots more than a new TC Compass) it's hard to believe you cannot afford the right brass.

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Funny story about 8mm and 30-06: I’ve actually found range brass before that was 8mm fire formed in a 30-06 chamber. I did some research and found that it’s not unheard of, and under the right circumstances shoots ok (Not saying anyone should- ever!)

With light loaded U.S. commercial ammo using soft lead cored bullets, the smaller capacity round fire forms to the larger chamber. This would normally result in lower than normal pressures except that it’s squeezing a relatively soft .323 bullet through a .308 hole. Scary as heck but not necessarily kaboom.

Try that with a full power surplus 8x57 round, especially steel core, and I would fully expect guaranteed destruction.
    Same here.
    One day I picked up empties at a range on the north side of Houston, marched into the store and told them to pay attention to what they're selling people. There are plenty of rifles around that were once upon a time 8mm.

For elderly 8mm's with lots of erosion, you might be better off making 8x59's or whatever your rifle dimensions are and get yourself some more boolit coverage.

Boolit Master

I started all this years ago when you couldn't find 8mm Mauser brass or rounds for under $2/round. Just so happened to luck out on an RCBS reloading die set that included a form and trim die on e-bay and the rest is history. Do anneal the brass and size run each one through the Mauser you may not have to neck turn. I guess I'm one of the few people in the US that doesn't own a 270 so all the range brass I find gets turned into 8mm.

I’ve done about 500 from RP ‘06 this year. An rcbs case forming die is invaluable.
    I prefer the thinner RP brass over mil-surp brass. Much easier to work with.
    The headstamp is of no concern to me as I don’t own a 30’06 and even if I did I would like to think I have better sense than that.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charles1990 View Post
    Privi brass is not too thin. Built to correct spec. Necked down 06 brass is overly thick. That's why Wilson/RCBS etc make neck reamers. By the time you buy a good 8X57 rifle (lots more than a new TC Compass) it's hard to believe you cannot afford the right brass.
    Formed 30-06 brass even US military brass is not too thick. You are repeating something you don't really know.

I have 6 rifles including an autoloader in 8x57. The necks in all chambersare much larger than any formed cases. Have about400 cases formed from 30-06 brass. To prevent headstamp issues I used mostly 30-06 military brass. Also use the same brass to make hundreds of. Cases for the 7.65 Mausers. Have 5 7.65 Mausers and all of their chambers have plenty of room too.
    Last edited by EDG; 11-12-2017 at 05:19 AM.
    EDG

Off the path a bit here but it is surprising just how far a barrel will swage down a SOFT bullet. We had two look alike Handi rifles at the range and S.I.L. Dave accidentally fired a 357mag round in a 30-30. Split the case end to end but no further damage. Bullet actually hit the target. Gp

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Off the path a bit here but it is surprising just how far a barrel will swage down a SOFT bullet. We had two look alike Handi rifles at the range and S.I.L. Dave accidentally fired a 357mag round in a 30-30. Split the case end to end but no further damage. Bullet actually hit the target. Gp
    My cousin's high school friend's son shot and harvested a 6 point buck with a 98 Mauser in 8x57, but accidently used a 35 Remington cartridge. He complained about the excessive recoil and my cousin's friend pointed out his error and that he was lucky the 98 action is stout. Can you imagine what that bullet looked like after getting swaged down? Like a pencil!!! To boot he got the deer. Wow!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12