Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: load for the 312-185 lee and the sks

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I wonder sometimes why the 7.62x39 ended up with such small bullets.

It seems like they offer a few (very few) in 150 gr soft tip hunting loads. But 95% of all ammo for it is 123/4 gr fmj.

Did the Russians originally use a larger bullet with this caliber and dropped to the small ones for weight considerations?

50 grains times 200 starts adding up.

For whatever reason, every SKS I have ever seen loves those big Lee 185's, and they seem to like them set as far forward as will still fit in the magazine with a smidge of wiggle room.
    It's my understanding that they developed the ctg trying to mimic the Then new German assault rifle ctg I believe it was 8x35 mm it too had a light weight 125 ish gr bullet . Maybe they figured a heavier bullet in shoulder fired full auto wasn't a good idea ?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

A I got lucky. Big time.

B I did the research first.

C I compared, cross compared, ran the data forward, backward and sideways.

D I got lucky, no ever told me I couldn't. So I did it, my way.

It is indeed a hammer. It is the only load I have ever seen that knocks over my big AR500 gong.

7.62x54r dimples it more, does more damage to the steel.

Sks, just squeeze the trigger twice and bang flop the gong is on the ground.

If I ever went after feral Pigs the SKS would be my #1 choice.

well, I am getting better penetration with the 155 and also about the same expansion,,that along with greater feeding reliability, I have chosen to use the 312-155 for hog hunting. today I was hitting orange clays at 50 yards every shot.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

but I have gotten the 185 working as well,even got it to feed well. and the clays weren't a problem with this boolit either. it just didn't penetrate half a good as the 155

So you have the 155 working, so what is the problem?

Different OAL, different powder might solve it, might not.
    You want to fix it, figure it out. You can do it. Step by step, be methodical, take notes.

nothings wrong... I got the 185 going too, maybe you missed my last post. thanks for your help. yeah, they are both working great, I am just getting better penetration with the 155, I don't want to go any higher with the 185, because of how far its ejecting, and just the feel of it, you know? it seems like the bolt is coming all the way back and hitting kinda hard. I backed off from 17.2 of rel7 to 16.9 with the 185 and it is smoother now. about as smooth as the 155, but when digging the rounds out of my soft dirt backstop the 185 is about 10 inches back, and the 155 is about 14" back, which is against the back plate of thick steel

oh both hit orange clays at 50yds every shot! which for my eyes is good with iron sights

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    if anyone else has shot this boolit out of an sks, id love to hear your opinion too, I want to make sure I am still in the safe pressure range or that this load (17g rel7-312-185) hasn't shown signs of excessive pressure, I am going into town probably tomorrow to get the mold so I have time. thanks!
    I loaded up a batch of the Lee 185 gr. bullets cast from WQ'ed WW's with a bit of tin about a month ago,I bought the mold to use in my Mosins but it shoots great in the SKS as well roll crimped in the provided crimp groove. I use 22 grs. of IMR-4895 an fired a mag. full just to see how they would do. Cycles fine,no leading an they shot to point of aim at 50 yds.

I was shooting at some 2" by 6" soft steel swing target an the bullet sure puts the smack down on those plates leaving a nice deep dimple. Not sure what the velocity was as I didn't get the chrono out but will soon next time I have a shooting day. I would estimate they were somewhere in the 1400+ fps. range. I could probably easily get another grain in the case before I started to compress the load but I still want run into pressure issues even if I did. I will have to try some powder coated as well.
    Last edited by res45; 02-06-2017 at 08:48 PM.

yeah, imr 4895 is next on my powder list, I think I can get more velocity without that high pressure spike, maybe gain 100-200 fps?

IMO and it is JUST my opinion. The 185 grain sheds more energy faster, so yes a little less penetration. But ribs, skin, and lungs are not as solid as dirt either.

I bet if you shoot a hog in the boiler room clean it goes right through, and the hog drops quick too.

But just my opinion. The smaller ones are a bit more pointy, streamlined.

I used a drill press to put some square noses on some of those 185's for a winchester .30-30. Then sized them to .309 and have them loaded. Whatever that hits is going to hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    IMO and it is JUST my opinion. The 185 grain sheds more energy faster, so yes a little less penetration. But ribs, skin, and lungs are not as solid as dirt either.

I bet if you shoot a hog in the boiler room clean it goes right through, and the hog drops quick too.

But just my opinion. The smaller ones are a bit more pointy, streamlined.

I used a drill press to put some square noses on some of those 185's for a winchester .30-30. Then sized them to .309 and have them loaded. Whatever that hits is going to hurt.
    I totally agree,tissue is made up of mostly water. Hogs tend to be a bit tougher tissue an bone wise than deer but I don't think it going to have much of an adverse affect. I wouldn't be surprised if he get full penetration on side shots with good placement. Blunting the nose or adding a shallow HP with the Fosters HP tool just to get a little nose expansion wouldn't be bad either.

I don't plan on shooting lots of the 185's in my SKS rifles but I will keep a hundred or so loaded up for close range bush busting purposes.

Boolit Master
    Not an SKS, but a carbine length 7.62x39 AR upper. I've been experimenting with the RCBS 7.62x39-130-SPL. It's a pointy thing that weighs in about 140ish when checked and PC'd. Yesterday I shot some over 20.0/DP73 with excellent results @ 50 yds.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Grand Master

For an excellent pig hunting load in an SKS with the RCBS 180 FN check out my tests for Junior1942. I can repost the pictures if you ask.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...LeveRevolution

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I shoot 200 g 314299 clone in Chinse SKS with H322 .

yeah, that is something to think about, I could just alternate them in my stripper clips for the best of both worlds!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12