Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alliant's new powder optomized for Powdercoat! With Data!

Boolit Bub

Alliant's new powder optomized for Powdercoat! With Data!

Last nigh the same representative for Alliant that announced the newer BE-86 powder last year on TheHighROad Forums, announced a new powder called Sport Pistol https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...#post-10462655 that was Optimized for Coated Bullets and they have load data!

This may not seem big so some people but for me it's implications are huge! Not only does this legitimize the coated bullet by just putting data out for it but it also means that they have invested in it. Literally! From what I have read this new powder was tested to not erode coating at the base of a stored loaded coated bullet cartridge.

Also interesting about the powder it is supposed to "not" be temp or position sensitive. Its also supposed to be a case filler. Charge weights are more economical than Unique and it is a medium faster burning powder with clean burn traits.

Some suggest a hit back at the competition for its new additions of powder . If so it went a step further with coated bullets and I am interested to see what this powder actually does...time for the dust cover to come of the chronograph and a new batter inserted!

Here's some reload data and powder information from Alliant only released by Alliant Rep as the Website has not been updated yet but it will soon Also the powder is in production and shipments and orders to hit shelves soon!https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...nl-pdf.228712/

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...17-pdf.228713/

I've been looking for a new powder and if the data is correct this may be my new powder for pistol loads.
    Last edited by Wreck-n-Crew; 01-19-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Banned

Looks like a winner

Nothing on the Alliant website yet but with PC I have heard some powders such as Titegroup I think it was, can react with the coating. So can't really load those for long term storage and even shorter term storage need to store boxes so that case mouth is up so that powder is not in contact with bullet base.

Since I use TG for my go to pistol powder it will be interesting to see how a new contender works out.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Just thinking of all the load data I've developed over the years---not sure I'm ready to do it again with a new powder
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Woah, that's pretty legit. Now I have to dig out my old THR account...

Banned

Alliant Powder Sport Pistol
    High-volume shooters can rest easy. Alliant’s new Sport Pistol powder isn’t just reliable and consistent; it’s clean burning, giving competitive shooters and backyard plinkers alike peace-of-mind. It’s designed for polymer-coated bullets, but it works with all kinds of bullets. It has low muzzle flash and provides versatile ballistics options for a variety of loads. Sport Pistol is a medium-fast burning powder. ($27.25; AlliantPowder.com)

Banned

can't they just make more red-dot and 2400 for Christ's sake.
    seriously if you don't want your competition making red-dot to fill the gap, make more.
    if they can ramp up production to make it, you can sell waay more than you are now.

Banned

Red Dot is out there 2400, not so much.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    can't they just make more red-dot and 2400 for christ's sake.
    Seriously if you don't want your competition making red-dot to fill the gap, make more.
    If they can ramp up production to make it, you can sell waay more than you are now.

Boolit Master
    Well at least you have some choices. My problem seems to be affording all the ones I think might work for me. Then I second guess myself and try a couple more....Slippery slope
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Just bought my third 8 lb jug of Red Dot. <insert very happy smile here>

Puts me at around 30 lbs of Red Dot/promo all bought in the last 2-3 years.

Way I see it I can increase my shooting and plan on having enough for the next 15 years before I need to replace it.

Or I can just sit on it like a Dragon sitting on his hoard. Muttering in glee and dreaming of SHTF scenario's where everyone is out out powder but I'm sitting on my pile.

Life is GOOD

Banned

ill give that an amen. nothing but a gimmic to sell a new powder. Probably just an existing powder repackaged or changed a tiny bit. Why would a coated bullet need a special powder. They've been loaded by guys on here with about every powder known and I don't recall every seeing where using a different powder made a coated bullet fail. If it did I wouldn't have much faith in coated bullets. Keep us wanting the standard powders and they can keep the prices up high.
    seriously if you don't want your competition making red-dot to fill the gap, make more.
    if they can ramp up production to make it, you can sell waay more than you are now.

Boolit Bub
    I think this powder burns a little slower. Red Dot is very fast. Plus the powder ( as stated by them ) is made for polymer coated bullets though it works well for standard Plated and Jacketed too.

After IMR (hodgdon) came out with a line of pistol powders named like or similar to Alliants powders one would have to see the reasoning to develop new powders and hit back. For anyone that doesn't know yet here's the link and description of those IMR versions of Alliants Pistol powder line witch include Red, Green, Blue, Target (Bullseye) and Unequal (unique)....http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...s-new-powders/

Boolit Bub
    Why would a coated bullet need a special powder. They've been loaded by guys on here with about every powder known and I don't recall every seeing where pusing a different owder made a coated bullet fail.
    Well I use Red Dot and it dose Eat the HFPC from the base. I've found them when pulling them to recycle the usable parts from rounds that didn't have a primer or suspected of having a light charge. To be honest I use Red Dot because it fills the case so well and not because of its performance in my 9mm loads.

I think about a new powder named 'Unequal'...then I think about how it may or may not be a good substitute for an old trusted powder and...I am using the old trusted powder as the benchmark, after all it's the only point of view we have...then I think about the name 'Unequal'...it's not very convincing...
    So, I think again, "I'll just wait and see what others may say first after they try it out...extensively!"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Wreck-n-Crew View Post
    I think this powder burns a little slower. Red Dot is very fast. Plus the powder ( as stated by them ) is made for polymer coated bullets though it works well for standard Plated and Jacketed too.

After IMR (hodgdon) came out with a line of pistol powders named like or similar to Alliants powders one would have to see the reasoning to develop new powders and hit back. For anyone that doesn't know yet here's the link and description of those IMR versions of Alliants Pistol powder line witch include Red, Green, Blue, Target (Bullseye) and Unequal (unique)....http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...s-new-powders/
    Alliant actually struck first. They made Clay Dot which is an exact copy of Clays. You can actually substitute grain for grain in load data.

Boolit Bub
    True that they do those things. Back in the day they bought surplus powders and branded them too.

Now after getting further into this thread i realized what i often forget is that some people are brand fans too and the subject can be sensitive. I guess i never looked at things like that because i was seeing it from a different perspective. Without you pointing that out i would have not remembered that the competitive actions of companies can draw out the history of thier products.

One thing i can say is that i like competition. Its part of the american way and heavy competition in products can keep inflating prices in check. Even drives them down and that benefits the consumer. It also can improve products and create new ones.

Good stuff.....

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Wreck-n-Crew View Post

LOL, Way to copy Alliant's product and avoid the lawsuit! I wonder if it's a direct replacement?

I laughed at 'Unequal" If they wanted a name for 'Unique" maybe "one of a Kind" powder or how about "Exact Copy" lol
    Last edited by finstr; 01-20-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

PLEASE....

this kinda cracks me up. they make a new powder instead of ensuring they have enough of the ones you can never purchase... id really like to have a bottle of unique sitting on the table right now. but its extinct in my area
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Banned

unique I can get.
    bulls-eye too.
    if I see red-dot I generally knock people down and get it. [about every 3 months it pops up]

the last 2400 I bought [2lbs] was in Casper Wyoming, I then drove it down through half the country to Texas and had to figure out how to get it on an airplane to get it home.

8 lbs of red-dot doesn't last too long when you use 18grs at a time, and I'm tired of having to re-adjust my loads every time I need another thousand shells.
    17grs of 700-x and 19 grs of green-dot are not the same load no matter what the book say's about how fast they are going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast