Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to build a ultra-lightweight AR-15

How to build a ultra-lightweight AR-15

Just got done writing a article on how to build a ultra lightweight ar-15 on my website and was wondering what you guys thought and more importantly is I messed up anywhere . Was just looking for your guys personal thoughts on the article, if it sounded good, was ok, not really interesting at all and so on. So if your bored and got a little time to read tell me what ya think. Thanks Dan

https://aerospacearms.com/blogs/gun-...lightest-ar-15
    http://www.aerospacearms.com Current Deals:
    349.99 Deltapoint Pro code: "Deltapoint"
    21% off all magpul products code: "Magpul"

Banned
    There is something to be said for light weight and something to be said for accuracy. I'll go for a heavier more accurate gun any day. As for 500 yards... never seen a good 500 yard AR yet. Independence? Not far from Cedar Rapids.

Boolit Buddy

Your article definitely hits the lightest components possible in the AR-15 world that I'm aware of. Honestly I would sacrifice a few ounces and get a steel trigger group. Don't know about the longevity of a polymer trigger and hammer.
    6bg- don't take this the wrong way, but there are many 500 yard AR's out there. Heck, even 600+ yards. You just have to build them right....with a quality barrel. Everything is an accessory to that.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Well considered and constructed article though the objective does not appeal to me. No doubt others will disagree on the latter. My sole experience with this style of rifle was 2.5 years of combat. Reliability in harsh circumstances is worth a bit of extra weight. Long range precision not so much.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    how many folks found the black background and pale text hard to read? I had to select the text to make it white with blue background to be able to read. A real hassle for sure. For presenting text to read, chose a neutral background with nice contrasty text.

Ken H>

There is something to be said for light weight and something to be said for accuracy. I'll go for a heavier more accurate gun any day. As for 500 yards... never seen a good 500 yard AR yet. Independence? Not far from Cedar Rapids.
    Not to far at all about 40min, I come up to Hiawatha once a month to shoot USPSA.

how many folks found the black background and pale text hard to read? I had to select the text to make it white with blue background to be able to read. A real hassle for sure. For presenting text to read, chose a neutral background with nice contrasty text.

Ken H>
    Thanks for the heads up i'll look into making the text easier to read.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    The AR is a very capable platform. The National Match High Power Rifle course has targets at 600 yards. I think a few even get hit. LOL

Do not base your opinion on the cheap AR's shot at your local public range by mall ninja wannabes using the cheapest ammo at the gun show.

Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Nicely written article, I like the disclaimer at the beginning. Some of those parts I've heard of, others not, but there's so many options in the AR world that's not surprising.

I'd like to see a part two, where you've built this rifle and take it out for range testing.

Rick

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    The AR is a very capable platform. The National Match High Power Rifle course has targets at 600 yards. I think a few even get hit. LOLDo not base your opinion on the cheap AR's shot at your local public range by mall ninja wannabes using the cheapest ammo at the gun show. Don Verna
    I handload for the AR-15's we have. Both have match grade barrels. I've never been extremely pleased with the capabilities of the 5.56/.223. For 600 round shooting I'll either bring out one of the 22-250's or the 308.

Banned
    I re-read the article and its covers all the bases . Its a nicely written article. To be honest here a lot of us have a AR-15 simply for when the time comes and the **** hits the fan. I'm not a fan however of polymer uppers and lowers and aluminum bolt assemblies. Since mine is made for when it hits the fan I opted for a gas piston assembly over the typical gas operated system because it stays cleaner. Carbon fibre barrel? No not in my lifetime and especially at $500. I will keep my heavier AR-15 and employ the use of a good sling. I suspect that these lighter AR-15 will be better suited for the younger at heart with more disposable income that want the newest, latest, and greatest. For me an "Old School" guy I'll stick to the proven and easy to obtain parts that readily available.

Boolit Grand Master

I build both the AR Service Rifles and Matches rifles for NRA High Power competition so my guns tend to be on the heavy side. For accuracy they need to hold 4 inch 10 shot groups at 600 yards. Most will do better.

Nice article for the folks looking for a lightweight AR.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-20-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Boolit Master
    Back in the late 80's and early 90s when I shot NRA highpower service rifles with both a Match M1A and a Stock Colt Hbar I could get good scores with my M1A. But the Colt would get much tighter groups at 200 and 300 yards. The Colt also cost 1/3 of the M1a and was much cheaper to reload for.
    I handload for the AR-15's we have. Both have match grade barrels. I've never been extremely pleased with the capabilities of the 5.56/.223. For 600 round shooting I'll either bring out one of the 22-250's or the 308.

Boolit Master
    Article overall was good. But $329 for a 4oz rail is a bit much. Also if you want lightest weight specify ammo use. A round loaded with 55gr bullets will be 5 gr lighter than the 62gr bullet. I also would check case weight as steel cases maybe different than brass. Also optics not specified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompsoncustom View Post
    Just got done writing a article on how to build a ultra lightweight ar-15 on my website and was wondering what you guys thought and more importantly is I messed up anywhere . Was just looking for your guys personal thoughts on the article, if it sounded good, was ok, not really interesting at all and so on. So if your bored and got a little time to read tell me what ya think. Thanks Dan

https://aerospacearms.com/blogs/gun-...lightest-ar-15

I don't shoot 223 nor am I interested in an ultra-light for big $$ but I will state that development of newer/lighter parts is a good idea as stuff just gets better. Like polymer lowers (Glock) and handguards. Even lightweight steel uppers? Just takes incentives to make stuff better.
    Whatever!

I built a .300 BO on a CavArms one piece Zytel lower and it is my favorite AR. Lightweight, tough& very accurate. Of course I keep a M4 imitation 5.56 handy as well.

Boolit Master
    I enjoyed the article very much. Having a lightweight AR is actually refreshing after years of lugging around an M16A4 with quad rail, flashlight, grenade launcher, PEQ-2 and up, and all manner of weight adding stuff. The M4 was better, but still had a M203 slung under it, and a flashlight and PEQ-15. That was for work, lol.

For my personal AR's, I prefer them bare bones with a carry handle sight. Lighter is better for me when not carrying one for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    The AR is a very capable platform. The National Match High Power Rifle course has targets at 600 yards. I think a few even get hit. LOL

Do not base your opinion on the cheap AR's shot at your local public range by mall ninja wannabes using the cheapest ammo at the gun show.

Don Verna
    The first F-T/R I match I ever shot was with a 16" Bull Barrel 1:9 DPMS upper on home built lower. Crappy stock DPMS lower build kit trigger, Nikon 3-9X BDC scope, hand loaded 68gr Hornady match bullets. I had zeroed the scope at 100 yards, and shot the match through the 500yd BDC. Ended up with a 567 3X.

Maybe I got lucky?

The first F-T/R I match I ever shot was with a 16" Bull Barrel 1:9 DPMS upper on home built lower. Crappy stock DPMS lower build kit trigger, Nikon 3-9X BDC scope, hand loaded 68gr Hornady match bullets. I had zeroed the scope at 100 yards, and shot the match through the 500yd BDC. Ended up with a 567 3X.

Maybe I got lucky?

Boolit Master

I've got a polymer lower, actually we have 2 in the family, they shoot very well and are noticeably lighter than the aluminum ones. I use mine on both 6.8 SPC II and 300BO uppers. My middle son uses it on a 300BO SBR.

I only have one polymer lower the one listed in the article, Worried me a little at first but the fit to the upper is really tight and it hasn't gave me any problems yet. I haven't tired to beat it to death like some people would but supposedly you can run it over with a truck unharmed which is good enough for me.
    Last edited by Thompsoncustom; 01-22-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast