Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 357 sig is it a waste?

Boolit Master
    I had seen 357 conversion barrels for 10mm, but dont own a 10. My cast loads are way longer than the book specs.

Boolit Master

Well, I hope everyone doesn't think so cause I just bought a G33! Too cheap not to buy!

I carry a G27 almost exclusively now. Find the right holster made it possible. But I always liked the 357Sig.

I figure the worste case is if I don't like it or get tired of trying to load the caliber, I can just buy a 40SW barrel for it and make it another G27.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    The .357 SIG is a very powerful and impressive performer, full stop.
    The extraction issues that some departments faced, as well as the recoil and blast, can be addressed with good hand loading practices. Cast bullets work just fine–there are many good options from 95 grain up to 150 or so. It's always exciting to bring out, definitely a waker-upper. I have a barrel for my m&p .40, so it certainly makes sense in every way that I can see.
    -BE
    Last edited by Boolseye; 03-19-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Boolit Master

Well, just for my G33 today and shot it this afternoon. I put about 150 rounds of factory ammo thru it. Some of my conclusions:
    1) It's freaking loud! Everyone was looking at me when I got done with my first magazine.
    2) Just as accurate as my G27(40SW) and recoil was actually less than the G27. About on par with the G26(9mm).
    3) I don't understand why it's not more popular.

I saw no real difference between the 125gr or 147gr loads. In either accuracy or recoil.

It's a keeper!
    Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    I get 1400 fps with a 130 gr. gas checked hollow point and under a starting load of 800x. If that's not impressive out of a 4.25" barrel, I don't know what is. As long as I do my part, it's also very accurate.

Boolit Master
    357 sig is one of those circular arguments. Why isnt it more popular? Well most shops carry little of it, and its quite a bit more expensive. Industry will say, its more expensive as few buy it. Where consumers say they avoid it due to cost. So stalemate. Unless more people buy it, the cost wont come down, but more wont buy it until the cost comes down.

Some are just stuck in a rut when it comes to things. I know people who wont try anything new. Others its just their own prejudice. Knew a guy, he only liked 45 ACP, had to be ACP, didn't like 45 colt either or even 45 autorim. He hated 40 cal in any shape fashion or form. He worked in a gun shop, so needless to say did not sell many 357 sig pistols, cant remember any even in the case to look at. I offered him my glock w 357 sig barrel to shoot one day, would have thought it was a rattlesnake, he just was not going to shoot it. He was also opposed to cast bullets of any kind.

Me Ill shoot anything once, who cares how weird or obscure it is. Never know what I might like. And hey if I can get a cast bullet to work in it, all the better.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345