MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Nosler Releases The Brand New 22 Nosler | Fastest .22 Cartridge For The AR-15 Platfor

Boolit Grand Master

"I want to barrel an upper dedicated to hunting coyotes in something faster and flatter than the standard 223."

Why? A 223 will roll a coyote out of an AR Platform as far as you should be shooting one with that rifle. I'm not knocking Nosler for coming up with stuff and for guys that want to buy it "just because" but it looks like a barrel burner for no good purpose to me.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    "I want to barrel an upper dedicated to hunting coyotes in something faster and flatter than the standard 223."

Why? A 223 will roll a coyote out of an AR Platform as far as you should be shooting one with that rifle. I'm not knocking Nosler for coming up with stuff and for guys that want to buy it "just because" but it looks like a barrel burner for no good purpose to me.
    Each to his own. I have been averaging about 3,500 rounds of 223 per year on prairie dogs since the late 80's so I am fairly well versed on the benefits and limitations of the 223. The round count doesn't include 223 fired in competition out too a 1,000 yards.

Since very little hard info is out on the 22 Nosler I will stick to something a have actual experience with. The 204 Ruger. My experience is limited on the 204, however, it does extend the effective range by 100 to 125 yards over the .223. On prairie dogs I consider the effective range the max distance I can maintain a 75% kill ratio.

When calling coyotes flat land and movement can be an issue with laser range finders. Multiples coyotes tend to come in and misses happens so running shots are common. Coyotes that hang up at 300 or 400 hundred yards are common. On the prairies wind is also normally your biggest challenge. The 22-250 and 204 Ruger are simply better coyote cartridges than the .223. The 22 Nosler appears fill a niche on a flatter shooting AR15 cartridge.

As to being a barrel burn I simply don't care and no hard data is in yet. Total I have fired over 100,000 rounds at prairie dogs. In the same time period maybe 150 rounds at coyotes total.

The term cost of business comes to mind. If barrel life was the motivating factor I would be shooting prairie dogs with a 22LR.

Boolit Grand Master

The reviews I'm seeing on the other Nosler rounds indicate throat erosion in 1,000-1,500 rounds. Cost is a factor to most although the top end switch on an AR platform would be no problem. Just can't see needing this but to each his own.

Let us know approximately how many rounds you get out of the barrel before accuracy drops off if you get one.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345