RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nosler Releases The Brand New 22 Nosler | Fastest .22 Cartridge For The AR-15 Platfor

Boolit Master
    If you necked up to .308, what would you have? In a short Remington 700? Would it be anything like this:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/614049498
    While the price of the above borders on ridiculous, the proposed cartridge might be a suitable replacement.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post
    Wildcatting has filled in virtually every niche there is on any ballistics table but it seems that the firearms manufactures are now out of necessity, relegated to trying to fill in the niches in between the niches because the firearms platforms themselves have basically all been marketed already.

Any new guns that are introduced as new and improved are simply the same old designs wearing a new stock design or some sort of embellishment to give the illusion of something new. Eventually someone will come up with something revolutionary that will take firearms to the next level. Until that time we'll keep getting the same old thing wearing a new skin.

HollowPoint
    Most niches have been filled many times over, with new cartridges constantly arriving on the market and some of the tumbling off. The situation has got to the stage that the manufacturers surely know some of the cartridges they introduce are going to be discontinued.

I don't doubt that this is going to be an extremely effective cartridge in use, and there is something of a niche at least, for something that will put the maximum .22 centrefire in the AR platform. But the difference from many is that if it vanishes from the marketplace, there is no totally satisfactory way of making it. The 6mm. Remington SPC s shorter, and this is one in which I would not be happy about using a short case. The SPC is often described as originating in the .30 Remington, and no doubt pre-production development did. But the .30 is currently listed as having a thinner case wall near the head, as do the .30-30 family. You would have to do a rim alteration on anything I know of, and I think the best to do it on would be the extremely strong .225 Winchester. But is that one going to last forever either?

For all this, what you get is the velocity, and I'm not sure it is really worth it. Any number of people put more erosive rounds in bolt-action rifles, but the difference is in the rate of fire the owner is likely to use. This is a complex issue. We all know how differently a thousand rounds can erode the barrel, if they are fired slowly or rapidly. Full-auto in long bursts erodes yet faster, but published figures for machine-guns suggest that it is nowhere near in proportion. It seems like cooling plays its part in microscopic thermal crazing and flaking, and machine-guns cool less often. Some AR owners will use this one in a way that is a lot more erosive than the .223, and it is just a question whether easy interchangeability of barrels makes that worthwhile. Chambering a bolt action for this cartridge, when you could have the .22-.250 or .225, seems like taking love of the new a bit far.

I also suspect a typo in those velocity figures for the 18 inch barrel. But I don't think the presence of a gas port will make a great difference. High speed gases are reluctant to change direction, and the bullet will be some way beyond the port before much diversion of pressure occurs.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by Cag40Navy View Post
    Simpler solution. Don't complain.
    "WOOHOO!! Another answer to a question that wasn't asked."

I'm not sure how my post is considered complaining.

Apparently if one isn't in lock step with all the worshippers the "latest and greatest" they are not allowed to express themselves. Oh well, not surprised.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post

I guess I've quit being impressed by a bit more velocity because it just doesn't matter that much to me any more, here in my locale and with the places I have to hunt.

i guess i'm the same thing. i use a 20 vartarg with 32gr nosler varmageddons and it goes roughly 3400-3500fps. i could do a 204r or a 20-250 that goes 3900-4100fps but i so much luv the 20vt. i like my tc encore and a 23" MGM barrel in a 444 marlin. it only does a 280gr wfn gc about 1800fps+/-. in another month or two i'll contact MGM and they'll build for me a 23" barrel with 500L. it will only go approx 1100-1300fps using a 450gr boolit(just like a revolver). heck, i might use bp for the 500L.

shouldn't bullets get faster? or am i getting old? (i'm 44 y.o.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    "WOOHOO!! Another answer to a question that wasn't asked."

I'm not sure how my post is considered complaining.

Apparently if one isn't in lock step with all the worshippers the "latest and greatest" they are not allowed to express themselves. Oh well, not surprised.
    I would assume what he meant by that was , if you have nothing positive to say don't say anything .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

I really don't care if this cartridge does something that 27 other cartridges do. I like it because it is different. I don't care if the difference in speed is 300fps or 50fps. My other uppers for my AR are 6.8spc (my first one) and a 300BO. Both I built, both are just different and exactly what I wanted. the 22 Nosler is not a 223/5.56 which appeals to me. EVERYBODY has a 223/5.56 and I understand why, that just isn't for me.

Is this wrong? Could I do better with a 22-250, depends on what "better" means to you. Sure 223AI is about the same velocity wise and it would probably have scratched the same itch for me but it would have cost more to get into the game and I like supporting a company that is trying to do something I like. It is a SAAMI cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post

shouldn't bullets get faster? or am i getting old? (i'm 44 y.o.)
    Nope it's some other malady you have besides getting old !

I'm almost 56 and I like FASTER !

I also like moderate and slow .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    For me it does nothing I can't get done with my 5.56,but to each his own.

Not to get too far off subject- Tdoyka; when you crank up that 27" 22-250 I'd love a report. Especially velocity readings.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

The more I think about it, the more I like it. If a fellow wants 22-250 performance in a Modern Sporting Rifle, and doesn't want to deal with the issues that go along with an "AR-10" platform, this looks like a nifty solution.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Not to get too far off subject- Tdoyka; when you crank up that 27" 22-250 I'd love a report. Especially velocity readings.
    Best, Thomas.
    since i'm going the other way, i decided to sell my 22-250ai. the 20 vartarg is pretty much all i need.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    since i'm going the other way, i decided to sell my 22-250ai. the 20 vartarg is pretty much all i need.
    Fair enough. Thank you.
    Best,Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I like it. If a fellow wants 22-250 performance in a Modern Sporting Rifle, and doesn't want to deal with the issues that go along with an "AR-10" platform, this looks like a nifty solution.
    The only fly in the ointment is it won't provide 22-250 ballistics. I'm shooting 55gr bullets @ 3785 fps average per chrony out of a 23" Tikka 22-250. Most starting loads for the 22-250 resemble the Nosler.
    Best,Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    time to buy a c.r,a.p. ton of the brass, then when it's discontinued. Sell it for what 25 WSSM brass is going for.

is there a parent cartridge for it?

on the other hand, a 30 rnd mag full of potent prarie dog medicine may be fun.

Buy a 24" barrel 5,56/.223 AR. You'll get 3300 fps with a 55gr bullet. Or a .204 Ruger for 4000 fps with a 24" barrel. Simple enough.

Boolit Grand Master

As I stated before I think the 22 Nosler will take off in the AR15 platform. It has nothing to offer the bolt gunner. In the AR15 platform it fill one of the few niches remaining. Time will tell.

Boolit Grand Master

Same question I asked on a different forum: Why do I need this?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Same question I asked on a different forum: Why do I need this?
    The niche it will fill is if you want increased performance over the standard 223 in an AR 15 platform with nothing more than a barrel and mag change. I am guessing the 6mm and the 6.5mm will soon follow. Once the actual numbers come out it will be interesting to see how close the ballistics come to the 22-250 or how it compares to the 204 Ruger.

I want to barrel an upper dedicated to hunting coyotes in something faster and flatter than the standard 223.

Most of the serious prairie dog and coyotes I know have switched to AR 15's. Like me they tend to shoot a lot and have at least several years of bullets stockpiled. Only one has a 204 and again like me has a very limited supply of anything 20 cal.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-13-2017 at 04:25 AM.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    if its typical of nosler when they produce the guns and the ammo they will be very proud of it. They think there stuff is about gold,.
    What Lloyd said! I bought some of there headstamp 6.5 Creedmoor brass awhile back, it is good brass no doubt, but not worth the money they want, i happen to get this stuff at Cabelas on sale so i grabbed a box of 50 to try.

Boolit Master
    If I was of a mind to try to crank up AR performance with a .22 caliber round, I'd roll a 6.5 Grendel necked down. Black Hole (and others I'm sure) have barrels (I think Black Hole calls theirs a .224 LBC).
    Shorter case than the Nosler so you can run higher BC bullets (75 A-Max, 80 Berger, 75 ELD). Not only more speed than a .223 at the muzzle, but more velocity retained for when they land way on out there. More than one outfit making brass too!
    Not real scared of the thinner bolt head, I don't load super hot (but ain't afraid to load to the potential of the cartridge) and don't do multiple "mag dumps" a day.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast