Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nosler Releases The Brand New 22 Nosler | Fastest .22 Cartridge For The AR-15 Platfor

Love the heck outa Nosler's Custom Competition bullets, but I'm less than impressed with their cartridge offerings.

Why not do a .20 Practical and call it a day?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Henry VIII View Post
    Well, yes it will. The Olympic is an AR15 not a 10. Have a look at the link.
    While an AR15 variant, it has a modified magwell and only uses UMAR AR15 magazines. Therefore, I don't think anyone would classify it as a standard AR15 since you would have to use proprietary magazines and I don't think it could not be converted back to use standard AR15 magazines.

Banned
    i'll just stay with my 20 vartarg. i do own a 27" MGM barrel in a 22-250ai(1 in 8" twist) but i haven't shot it yet. i'm enthralled with the 20vt.

Nosler once again gives an answer to a problem that never existed.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    Nosler once again gives an answer to a problem that never existed.

hey! the nosler does.......ahhhhhh..........ummmmmmmm...........yo u know. its that. yes, of course, the 22 nosler does that!!!

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot 2K to 6K of .223 per year out of AR varmint rifles per year at prairie dogs. I love the 223 for prairie dogs but I find it's trajectory lacking for coyotes past 300 yards. The 22 Nosler or 204 Ruger will be my next coyote upper.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-03-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Boolit Master

I just bought all the parts to build a 22 Nosler upper. 223/5.56 never really appealed to me but the 22 Nosler does, perhaps because it's different, perhaps because I already have the 6.8 mags, who knows. I will now have my first 22 caliber AR upper, to go with my 6.8 and 300BO.

Banned
    i just wonder how many rounds will it take down the barrel? if you take it for coyote/groundhog hunting it will be 4 or 5 shots an hour. if you take it to a prairie dog hunt you 'll have to take out a spare barrel(or 3) because you will toast the barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

Reduced barrel life is the cost of business for higher velocity. I used to be IMHO overly concerned about getting a barrel hot. Thirty years of shooting and smithing on NRA HP service and match rifles has reduced my concerns greatly. Going from standing straight to sitting rapids gets the barrels hot. Throw in range alibi and they get very hot yet usable accuracy life on 223 and 308's is usually 4K plus.

This reduced concern carried over to shooting prairie dog.

My primary prairie dog 223 upper has over 10K on it and it is still holding 1 MOA for ten shot groups. 95% of the rounds fired where 40 grain HbN coated V-maxs over 27.5 H335. It has one day of over a 1,000 rounds on it and three 700 plus round days and a whole bunch of 100 to 300 round days. For the 1,000 round day that is an average of 83.3 rounds per hour for twelve hours.

I do all my own work and build NRA HP service rifles and match rifles on the side. When the Tikka 595's were being closed out I setup a bunch for match rifles. I ended up with about a dozen 22-250 take off barrels. I chambered a couple in 22-250AI. They are basically free and if I want to shoot them really hot I do. How much that reduces barrel life I don't have a clue but I have over 2K on one and it hasn't lost accuracy. In the evening when the wind stops and the PD's are 300 to 550 yards and staying up I have really warmed it up a 7 or 8 times.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-03-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Boolit Master

I still remain frugal when it comes to barrel life, but like M-Tecs, I end up rebarreling my match rifles regularly. Right now there is a new match barrel waiting installation on my AR15 NM rifle for the upcoming season. Of course my prairie dog rifles in .223 need replacement too, but I do get fairly long life out of them. I do chase the throat as they wear, at least until the OAL exceeds the magazine length.

Given my frugality, I'll just stick to the .223/5.56. I know its trajectory innately and I'm just comfortable with its performance. I wish the Army would have adopted the .222 Remington Magnum instead; which they could have done. Had they done so, we'd be a bit better off thinks I.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    i just wonder how many rounds will it take down the barrel? if you take it for coyote/groundhog hunting it will be 4 or 5 shots an hour. if you take it to a prairie dog hunt you 'll have to take out a spare barrel(or 3) because you will toast the barrel.
    Hmmm. Have an assistant gunner carrying two or three spare scoped uppers for you. Swap them out as they get too hot, just like on a real machine gun. Maybe mount everything on a tripod while you're at it. I think there is a market niche waiting to be exploited there!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Hmmm. Have an assistant gunner carrying two or three spare scoped uppers for you. Swap them out as they get too hot, just like on a real machine gun. Maybe mount everything on a tripod while you're at it. I think there is a market niche waiting to be exploited there!
    ehhhhhhhh........carrying a m60 or a m249 barrel is not what i call fun! what the 22 nosler needs is 2 or 3 scoped uppers, tripod mount and motorized tracks.

Boolit Grand Master
    Probably going to go the way of the .45 GAP.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Well I've had one of the AR Stoner uppers for almost a month now . And with that being said I didn't own ANY AR's 5 months ago .

These pics were taken the day the upper arrived and I put it on the lower for my Grendel . At the moment the upper carries a Bushnell 4200 8-32 that I borrowed .

Now I'm kinda flush 22 Nosler , 6.5 Grendel , 6.8 SPC , 450 Bushmaster on the 15 platform and 260 and 308 on the 10 platform .

a 223 case beside the 22 Nosler case .

While I've not run it over the Chrony yet the accuracy of the 22 Nosler has been better then I anticipated . And that's just been with Nosler 50 BT's , Nosler 60 BT's and the Nosler 64 grain . To be honest the best groups I've gotten were a couple different loads using the 50 BT that were hovering around .5 MOA for 3@100 . While I have no intention of shooting prarie dogs or even groundhogs with this thing it still has the ability . I'm more interested in how the gun does with the Nosler 60 Partition and the 64 grain bullet . Not for coyotes either , this thing will eventually be tried on something a skoosh larger then a coyote .

Now as to whether a fellow likes the cartridge or not that's a personal thing . I don't really care what others think . But if a fellow is paying for my reloading components I suppose they "might" have a say so in what I personally get out of the cartridge otherwise as I said earlier I don't care .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cag40navy View Post
    simpler solution. Don't complain. :d
    A#1 excellent solution !

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Probably going to go the way of the .45 GAP.

SHiloh
    And the .30RAR, the .30 TC, The SAUMs, etc. I totally agree, Shiloh.

Boolit Grand Master

Time will tell but that are too many folks wanting more performance out of the 22 Cal AR15 platform. Same for necking up or down. I think this one will make the cut and be around for a long time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Time will tell but that are too many folks wanting more performance out of the 22 Cal AR15 platform. Same for necking up or down. I think this one will make the cut and be around for a long time.
    I don't need a reason or an excuse for any firearm I buy . But I will say I am not an advocate of the 223 , 308 or 30-06 for one plain and simple reason they're to PLAIN VANILLA . And there's nothing wrong with that I know lots of folks like them especially because they're easier to buy brass etc etc etc . And yes I have a couple 308's , and they were bought because I wanted the firearm they happened to be chambered in .

I personally like a lot of the stuff that isn't shall we say mainstream . And AGAIN I don't care if someone doesn't like it or want it .

Boolit Grand Master
    Just waiting for the reamer from PTG to turn my Savage bolt gun into a 22 Nosler. We shoot a "varmint silhouette" at our range when it warms up and the 223 out of my 24" barreled AR will just barely knock over the pigs @500yds, using a 62gr bullet. The 22 Nosler should give me a bit more HP way out there and the savage has a 9" twist vs the 12" twist on my Remington. Will try some 70's also.
    If that doesn't work out, then I will rechamber a 223 barrel to 22-250, thereby going from a 14" twist to a 12" twist and then I can use the 62gr bullets. The 14" twist on my 22-250 now won't work with the 62's.
    Thought about a 223AI till the 22 Nosler came along. Have a heavy stainless 223 barrel now that might turn into a 223AI.

Moderator Emeritus

Well .... I've got nothing against it at all, or anyone who wants or gets one. I just like the read and ubiquitously available .223 stuff - brass, mags, etc. My own reasoning is that it's bullet placement that really matters, but when you're using velocity to kill, extra ain't a bad thing at all, if you're willing to put up with the risk of a new caliber not catching on enough to be sustainedly available.

I guess I've quit being impressed by a bit more velocity because it just doesn't matter that much to me any more, here in my locale and with the places I have to hunt.

And as to barrel life, ANY gun fired until the barrel will blister your flesh instantly upon contact, IS eroding at a MUCH higher rate than a gun that's allowed to cool between shots. This is true of any caliber, including the original .223/5.56's. The more powder you burn in the same sized bore, the hotter it gets and the more quickly it gets there.

So for me, I'm glad you boys who like to play with new stuff have it, but I guess I'll wait and see if it catches on enough to consider playing with it myself. I'm a fan of taking old Mausers and '03's and making them into sporters, and that "in between" body dia. is neither fish nor fowl from my limited perspective. I'm sure it has applications, especially in the locales where long range to very long range shots are the norm. But in that scenario, I'd probably like a 6mm. better anyway. It's getting harder and harder to impress me, as I've grown older, but in my day, I'd have been dancing with all the folks who can't wait to try it. No harm in having more, but it does kind'a involve at least a little risk if it doesn't catch on, and brass becomes hard to find. Worse things have happened, and a faster option on the AR platform with only having to get new mags aint' a bad thing at all. I'll just stick with my old AR's in the original caliber. I guess I've gotten rather bored and boring in my old age, but I do at least get a kick out of seeing others jump on these things, and never fail to read about their results. Anything regarding ballistics and related stuff is always interesting. I'm just into practicalities more than I am in the other glittery stuff. It'll happen to most of you when you've shot enough, and grown old enough. Basics are NOT a bad place to be!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast