Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tried PVC pipe!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Carry on Marine!!! Great idea, I'm going to unashamedly steal it from you; you know what they say trust your fellow Marines to have your six and give their life for yours but watch out cause they will steal anything that ain't nailed down!
    There's only one thief in the Marines. All the rest are just trying to get their stuff back.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Bub
    I stopped at the local HF after work tonight. Found a side rock tumbler that might work? The tumbler container is 4 3/4 diameter. Add a strip or 2 to the PVC pipe and it would do the tumbling for you. Has anyone looked at these?

A friend bought one. It's small but might do what you want. I would suggest looking on you tube at some of the tumblers that have been made. There is one that uses a windshield wiper motor and a 2.5 gallon bucket that seems to work well.

Here's the link to one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MchjmCIvzlY

Quote Originally Posted by sw Idaho View Post
    I stopped at the local HF after work tonight. Found a side rock tumbler that might work? The tumbler container is 4 3/4 diameter. Add a strip or 2 to the PVC pipe and it would do the tumbling for you. Has anyone looked at these?
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Bub
    Cool idea. I think I would use a window motor. It would change direction to help get a better mix.

Boolit Master
    Interesting ideas, but I think you might be trying to reinvent the wheel. We have known since shake & bake first started that a #5 plastic works about the best (CoolWhip container) for the static process, not saying the other grades of plastic won't work. This is the reason I have used a #5 Polypropylene (PP) 5 gallon painter's bucket on my home built tumblers for years now. My one coat coverage is as good as it gets using shake & bake and the most effort I expend is dropping the 300 to 500 bullets into the tumbler.
    Attachment 188143

"Leave it to a Texican to come up with something like that! . . . "
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    I gave this a try and it worked great! For simple end caps on a 4" piece of white PVC I just stuffed a couple of cottage cheese tubs bottom first into the ends, one first of course, added bullets and powder, then the other. You then have grips of a sort on each end and can spin the pipe on an old blanket to generate even more static. Who needs a powder gun? OOHRAAH! Thanks for the idea Texas Grunt!

Boolit Master

No problem.

I've pretty much switch to PVC pipe for all my powder coating. Much better results, IMHO, than a #5 container.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

Boolit Master
    A tumbler will work, but that seems like more work than just shaking the container for a minute.

After reading this thread I picked up a 2 foot long 3" diameter PVC at Home Depot for $7. I found some "test caps" that fit and were $.30 each. For under $8 I found a container that works as good as anything else I've tried and is very simple to use. Unless you know a plumber I wouldn't waste my time trying to find scrap pieces.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    A tumbler will work, but that seems like more work than just shaking the container for a minute.

After reading this thread I picked up a 2 foot long 3" diameter PVC at Home Depot for $7. I found some "test caps" that fit and were $.30 each. For under $8 I found a container that works as good as anything else I've tried and is very simple to use. Unless you know a plumber I wouldn't waste my time trying to find scrap pieces.
    My tumbler works fine for me. I do it because I can do from 500 to 700 bullets at a time...depending on bullet size...and it is really no work at all. I put the bullets in, put powder on top of them and turn it on...let it run for a few minutes, turn it off and dump the bullets and bake.

Clean up is simple...take a paper towel and wipe the bowl.

Boolit Master
    I guess if you have a tumbler it might make sense, but I see no reason to go buy one. I can do 700 rounds in under 5 minutes pretty easily.

Boolit Master
    i wonder if using pvc tube if i could put it on my treadmill to roll it?

A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    The test caps are cheap and easy to use. A regular cap is much more expensive.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Charlotte-P...itting/3339786
    Just glue one in one end and not the other. It fits snug enough you should be able to shake (glued end down) easily.
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Bub
    Yep, 4" PVC for me. Glued a cap on one end, then have a removable 'cap' on other end. About 12" long, put about 4" deep of boolits, pour in 1 heaping tablespoon of powder, close, roll around for 1 minute. They are covered completely. Pour out over 1/4" holed wire mesh(chicken wire) over a large tupperware to catch extra (then re-use that of course).

Thanks for the PVC idea, the stuff doesn't even need the bb's, it creates so much static. Almost annoyingly.

Boolit Master

I tried the 4" Schedule 40 PVC today myself. I got a more uniform coating, but not a thicker one. The end result was a very nice coverage without excess thickness or blobs at the bottom from excess flow. Not sure if it was worth the extra effort, but the results were decent.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinkd View Post
    Yep, 4" PVC for me. Glued a cap on one end, then have a removable 'cap' on other end. About 12" long, put about 4" deep of boolits, pour in 1 heaping tablespoon of powder, close, roll around for 1 minute. They are covered completely. Pour out over 1/4" holed wire mesh(chicken wire) over a large tupperware to catch extra (then re-use that of course).

Thanks for the PVC idea, the stuff doesn't even need the bb's, it creates so much static. Almost annoyingly.
    You're welcome.
    Semper Fi!

How do they look coming out of the PVC?

Would someone post a picture of this new outstanding coverage? If it covers better than the no.5 tub w/ASBB's I'll be astounded.

Attachment 189042
    No kidding...this is less than 45 seconds of 'swirling' the tub and then dumping in this cookie sheet. It's also a high humidity day and it rained that evening. Could the difference be the quality of the PC or color choice that everyone is working with? Not all PC is the same.
    I see many using Harbor Freight...I can't think of a worse PC than that stuff. The frustration just isn't worth it.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345