MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New steel expanding slugs from BPI

New steel expanding slugs from BPI

Anyone seen these? Saw a YouTube vid and sprung $50 for 20. Pricey, but I had to see them for myself. The vid looks pretty impressive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wrwDP4ht1RE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Remembrance

I had to have some as well, but they are out of stock right now. Order on hold, I guess.

Looks like the little nubbin in front pushes back to expand the petals similar to the "old" brenneke Super Sabot.

I'll try them when they arrive.

C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Quote Originally Posted by cpileri View Post
    I had to have some as well, but they are out of stock right now. Order on hold, I guess.

Looks like the little nubbin in front pushes back to expand the petals similar to the "old" brenneke Super Sabot.

I'll try them when they arrive.

C-
    I bet I bought the last two boxes. Got an email saying the processed my order.

Boolit Master

That thing is nasty! Wonder why it's not recommended for smooth bores?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Man
    Actually, it was designed for smoothbores.

In Remembrance

video shows them flying crooked from smoothies
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Man
    Maybe because of the loading procedure. Gualandi slugs are designed to be put directly on top of powder with nothing in between.

In Remembrance

if I ever get my order I will try them in both

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Well, color me not impressed. That's a small boar in the video and the main slug part didn't even exit! Had the boar in the video been a 400 lb "Keiler" and not an "Uberlaufer" the shooter could have a rather angry problem on his hands!

The idea of fragmenting steel slugs may seem great at first glance, but those small fragments lose energy quickly - and don't do all that much damage. There's a reason explosive bullets never took off - so to speak; To kill large critters you need to do damage in the boiler room and beyond, not just on the rib cage. And nothing beats a large wound channel, combined with an exit wound, for an easy-to-follow blood trail.

A well stabilized solid steel slug would be much more deadly - perhaps designed with sharp edges for some "cutting" effect. But keep those parts together!
    Cap'n Morgan

In Remembrance

ddupleks does make some solid heads

Boolit Grand Master

There are also those solid brass and steel slugs that sit in shotcups that should punch right on through:

http://www.ada.ru/guns/hunting/slugs/rubeykina/

Someone posted a link to a video of these being tested against steel plate of 1/8" or so (maybe a bit thinner) placed on an angle and they cut right through. Can't find the link though. It seems to me they were also used against body armour in some uprising and were punching through the body armour.

Looks like they can do alright accuracy wise too:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3035390 (1).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	185900

Longbow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rubeykina_draw.gif  

They're herrrrrreeee.... load data only calls for 800x and Longshot. Plan on roll crimping.

In Remembrance

yeah, mine showed up yesterday too- even though they were out fo stock when I ordered.
    Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cpileri View Post
    yeah, mine showed up yesterday too- even though they were out fo stock when I ordered.
    Cool.
    You gonna fold or roll crimp them? I tried to fold crimp them in a black Rio hull using an 8-crimp and it didn't work so well. Wonder is I should of used 5 pt instead????

Boolit Master
    There is a story Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote in the early days of aviation, about vast, sinister alien creatures with light, ethereal tissues which live in the upper air...

I'm with Cap'n Morgan on this. It seems like a probably good way of doing something that doesn't need to be done. I can't think of many situations in which this would be better than a fairly flat-nosed solid snag, whether lead or something else was used.

Did you notice some of the Youtube links to amateur or commercial shotgun-slug devices? Glass slugs about 2½ calibres in length? Who would have thought aerodynamically-spun slugs got tried and failed a hundred and ten years ago? There seems to be an inexhaustible market for something different.

Still, I was reminded of the furore surrounding Bearclaw bullets many years ago, in which the jacket opened out to form vicious-looking claws. Well it did in the publicity shots anyway. It provoked outrage among those who thought getting shot in the normal way is like it is in the movies, and fuelled resentment of firearms ownership in general.

In Remembrance

not sure yet. prob will roll

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    You gonna fold or roll crimp them? I tried to fold crimp them in a black Rio hull using an 8-crimp and it didn't work so well. Wonder is I should of used 5 pt instead????

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    There is a story Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote in the early days of aviation, about vast, sinister alien creatures with light, ethereal tissues which live in the upper air...

I'm with Cap'n Morgan on this. It seems like a probably good way of doing something that doesn't need to be done. I can't think of many situations in which this would be better than a fairly flat-nosed solid snag, whether lead or something else was used.

Did you notice some of the Youtube links to amateur or commercial shotgun-slug devices? Glass slugs about 2½ calibres in length? Who would have thought aerodynamically-spun slugs got tried and failed a hundred and ten years ago? There seems to be an inexhaustible market for something different.

Still, I was reminded of the furore surrounding Bearclaw bullets many years ago, in which the jacket opened out to form vicious-looking claws. Well it did in the publicity shots anyway. It provoked outrage among those who thought getting shot in the normal way is like it is in the movies, and fuelled resentment of firearms ownership in general.
    The only reason why I got them was because of that lead free hog hunt I'm doing. I'll also be taking some zinc slugs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast