Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder recommendations for Contender 35 Rem 14"

Powder recommendations for Contender 35 Rem 14"

I'm having a little trouble reloading for my contender in 35 Rem, most of my reloading manuals recommend 4064 and H335 but these are for rifle length barrels and burn too slowly in the 14". I've found that 12 grains unique behind a 200 grain LRN is a very accurate load but am only getting 1500fps. I would like to develop a hunting cartridge with the Hornady 200 grain SP in the 2000fps range and i've read that some are having success with reduced loads of 2400 and SR 4759 but these are still "plinking loads" and reporting velocities in the 1600fps range, as far as i can tell no one has really tried to hotrod this cartridge out like the application i am trying for. SR 4759 isnt available anymore but i can find 2400 occasionally.

In a situation like this how do i proceed? should I use the 2400 and the reduced load as a starting point, then work my way up until accuracy drops, or is there another powder I should be considering?

My nephew uses Leverolution In his Marlin. He usually gets some crop damage permits And has killed several deer with his 35 Remington . Not sure of his bullet choice. But for what it's worth I would have no problem hunting with your Unigue Load.

Boolit Grand Master
    H322. I have a Contender as well.

Standard or G2 frame?

For very good reason I do not suggest the Hornady 200 spire point or roundnose. Use the FTX instead if you want a 200.
    Last edited by 35remington; 01-17-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Boolit Master

I understand that the Hornady 200 spire point is considered to be on the tough side, but wasn't the 200 round nose designed with the 35 Remington in mind?

Re-7 or H4227 might get you where you want to be.

I believe you find the RN in 35 Rem factory loads because most of these are used in tube-fed magazines and dont run the risk of causing a chain fire. i have about 500 .35 Hornady RN on hand, i run them in my m77 350 Rem Mag. At 2400 fps it will go clear through a black bear at 20 yards, and at 70 yards I was able to recover it against the pelt of another after creating an 18" wound channel. I am hoping to use the contender as a short range weapon for bear and elk, so I would like to keep the FPS up as much as possible. 2000 may be a little unrealistic but 1800 may be manageable.

Boolit Master
    In my 357 Herrett, AA 1680 was a great powder with 200 gr cast. I'd have to check my loading notes to confirm chrono readings, but I'm pretty sure I was getting over 2000 fps in the Herrett with 200 gr cast.

I'd think that AA-1680 or RL-7 should do the trick.
    Last edited by paul h; 01-18-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Boolit Master

paul h
    I for one will be waiting to see that 357H, 200 grain cast load data.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master
    The 200 Hornady RN expands poorly at modest velocities due to improperly backwards skiving of the jacket....it is weakened in entirely the wrong place. Expands a lot at high speed, not at all at lower speeds. Both the 200 Sierra and the hard to find 200 RN Core-Lokt are superior in terms of terminal results at low speed.

Have a good stash of 180 SSP's and greatly prefer those to any of the 200's at low speed.

Both RL-7 and 1680 are too fast for this application, being better matched to smaller cased 35's.

Banner Sponsor

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol
    Hodgdon has load data for a 14" 35 Rem pistol with a 200 Hornady RN

My Contender likes H4895. I load for accuracy, and velocity is whatever it is.

Boolit Man
    I used Norma 200 back in the 1980's with round nose bullets. I would try Leverolution now,it works good in my 32 special.

Boolit Buddy

When I was still shooting steel I used a lot of IMR 3031 under a 180gr of several manufacturers, velocity stayed the 1875 fps area quite consistently. 200 yd chickens were dead meat, and big jacks at 250+- on occasion. Eyes not so good anymore, but a scoped super 14 with a lot of round count will still hold a 2" group a 100yds. I tried a lot of different pistol weights, but longer ranges suffered.

35Remington, I have the original frame. I've gone and converted it into an early 1900s bicycle rifle, sort of a lightweight pack gun that can be shot from both pistol or rifle configurations. You are very knowledgeable and i appreciate your input, i had not considered hornady's performance at lower velocities in concerns to expansion. As far as versatility how does the H322 perform in the Marlin 336? Would 3031 be a better all-around powder?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15823184_10100526084829104_7236060595237274637_n.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	185673

Boolit Grand Master
    With pushing things to the limit and a bit above the SAAMI spec the .35 is a bit hard on the standard frame....I have one myself. Someday a G2 frame would be worthwhile if you want to hotrod.

Please excuse the following ramble as I have been fiddling around with a 35 pistol like yours and find it to be plenty of gun. Interesting to load for. Skip over the parts you already know as I don't know what you know.

Old data with a 200 RN and H322 is a bit stiff, and the longer beating surface of the spire points sets up higher pressures than the RN's. The frame is being strained slightly when the cases get some additional extraction effort and if the gun is hard to open (not the same thing as extraction) you've gone way too far.

3031 is essentially compressed when loaded to safe levels in the 336/Contender, while H322 leaves some airspace and is somewhat position sensitive if loaded too lightly. So it is possible to overload H322, but not 3031 in most loadings. While not conforming to SAAMI spec, I was and am of the opinion that 38 grains H322 with a 200 RN of cast or jacketed persuasion is permissible, but please confirm that by working up from below and judging extraction effort as that charge is approached to stay away from frame flex. This would get the 2000 (or slightly better) fps you desire, but also chronograph to confirm to know where you are at. I use the RCBS 200 FNGC at this speed and I can hold three inches or better at 100 yards and this would cover every reasonable usage of the pistol/cartridge combo with how I usually hunt.

This is a notable step and more above a .44 revolver in terms of killing power. I hotrod the 180 SSP more than that and it is my preference with a heavier charge of H322 with the same cautions applied in load work up. Finest performing bullet imaginable in 200 RN persuasion at this speed is the 200 RNCL but they are hard to find. Since I have 1350 of them if someone wanted a few for a great deer/black bear bullet for woods ranges I might mail a few to try. This bullet has better expansion engineering than the others and superior ability to prevent core/jacket separation (not a big deal unless driven fast though). No 35 Remington bullet is superior to this one in any meaningful way save for niche long rang shooting (180 SSP).

The 180 SSP when driven at possible velocities is on the shallow penetrating side but a great plenty for deer. Core Loki or FTX for everything else. Do not use 38.0 charge with this FTX bullet as I have not done so myself....longer bearing surface sets up more pressure curve. Would be curious to see what 43.0 LVR in a neck sized case gets in my Contender.....gets a bit over 2200 in a 20 inch rifle and you might get your 2000 in your pistol. Should be at least as low but more likely lower in pressure than the H322 load. LVR starts fading if using lighter than 200 grain bullets.

The FTX bullet is well designed for these speeds, better than the Hornady brand 200 RN for sure.

I recall a 2100 fps FTX factory load in the rifle got around 1900 fps in my pistol so I am betting my estimate is close. My barrel is 15 1/8" but the last inch and an eighth is a pepper pot muzzle brake. Make is Bullberry. Is is a good shooter and is all I desire in woods range hand cannon. With good holding and the 180 SSP it could be a 200 yard gun or a bit over. I have to be sure of my rest for attempting that range but your stock has my handgrip beat in steadiness.

Wonder if your wire stock tends to customize your cheekbone? Despite the brake I have to remember to pad my elbow at the bench as the pistol is still pretty vigorously moving. The 225 ballistic tip kicks it up a notch yet.
    Last edited by 35remington; 01-20-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Oh, H322 in a 336, forgot that one. When loaded to circa 2000 fps/200 loads like some manuals say, it sucks. The partial case fill means it is overly position sensitive. Must go beyond SAAMI spec loads to be efficient and lower extreme spreads. If wanting factory velocity duplication or a bit more at standard pressure 3031 is superior to H322 in rifles. At least with what I have done.

Boolit Master
    Mr. 35remington you sure know your 35Rem! Running a 14.5" VVCG 35 Rem rimmed using Krag brass and an early Marlin 336 here. I'll see your 180SSPB and raise you a RCBS 35-200-FN!

To the OP: recommend H322 as well.

Boolit Buddy
    I compared the Remington 200 gr RN at 2200 fps (with LVR) to the 180 gr Hornady SSP at 1800 fps on white tail deer with lung shots at short range. They both are very impressive dumping the deer within ten yards or so with the 180 SSP being much more pleasant to shoot.

The testing was great fun. I have two Marlins and one was used by a young man who has had a horrible battle with cancer and one by his Dad. I put them into two well placed deer stands and listened for the booms.

Boolit Master

Aa2520

I used Reloader 12 and a 225gr HAWK in mine (original frame Super 14) 1900fps 3/4" 100 yd groups off rest and muzzle blast was not objectionable.
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

35Rem your load recommendation for H322 at 38 grains is spot on, achieving 2" groups at 100 yards with 200 grain GC and 50/50 canola/beeswax lube. Accuracy is nearly identical to the 200 grain Hornady RN. I'm using a modified 308 case and have found that 38 grains fills her to the shoulder, are you using a case filler or anything like that to keep the powder from shifting? I would like to get her dialed in to 1 MOA and then stretch her out for some 200 yard shots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast