Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody seen the 45-70 whisper?

Boolit Master

Anybody seen the 45-70 whisper?

This was in my email this morn.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...per-cartridge/

The comments sure did not give it a whole lot of love. Seems like a case of an ammo company trying to create demand for their product that nobody wants. Whats not to like, go buy a lever gun then just 'swap' the barrel, since they are so easy in a lever gun. And buy the overpriced ammo, that I would imagine anybody with a loading press can duplicate for way less.

Boolit Master
    I like the 45-70 cartridge and I've owned a number of guns in this caliber. This round has ZERO interest for me. I'll bet someone will thinks it's the best thing going however.

Vendor Sponsor

DUH I can shoot subsonic now with my 45-70s..
    I cast my own for pennies a piece, pc them, load on cowboy dies (std die sets) into std cases, shoot out of a factory gun and barrel

500 gr at 1050 will kill anything in the US inside 100 yds if I do my part and hit the motor
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I like it. Don't get me wrong I'm not interested in buying one.

Boolit Master
    Just seems like some of the usual answer to a question nobody ever really asked. But we all know there will be people go out and buy them just because.

My mentor (94 year old) says there are no bad cartridges. He goes on to say in North America, one only needs a .30-06, 12 gauge, 45 ACP and maybe a .22LR and you can do whatever. But if the manufactures didn't release anything new, we'd all still be shooting our granddaddy's '03 Springfield's. Not that some of aren't still supping our granddaddy's '03.

Boolit Buddy
    I love how JD Jones is always thinking outside the box.
    I have a 375 JDJ barrel for my handgun contender and it is a thumper for sure.
    Do I need a 45-70 whisper? No, but I also don't need a .950JDJ either.
    It's cool, but I will never own one. Like others have said, I would just load my 45-70 subsonic if I want to.

Boolit Buddy
    Another unwanted solution to a non-existent problem. I understand a suppressor friendly round for tactical use, such as a .300 Blackout, but I fail to see the reason for this.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reivertom View Post
    Another unwanted solution to a non-existent problem. I understand a suppressor friendly round for tactical use, such as a .300 Blackout, but I fail to see the reason for this.
    Way I read the article, its basically to sell that bullet. Its not like you cant suppress a 45-70 to begin with.

Boolit Buddy
    And I always wanted a contender chambered in 50 cal short (spotter for recoiless rifle) Why? because no one else has one

why keep creating bastard cartridges when ammo manufacturers cant supply basic ammo????? All the ultra mag,short mag,17 RF mag, 17 hornet rifles they built and you would go broke trying to shoot any of these and in all reality a hand full of totally available calibers will do what these magic cases will do and not at almost a hundred dollars for 20.......30-378 as a example.........dead is dead and a old 300 win mag will outshine a 300 WSM and at less then half the price per box.........270 is another example of the marketing/bogus speed figures and ammo you play hell trying to find.........................

Boolit Master
    No point in it if you can down load your 45/70 or use that bullet seated deeper.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    If you're loading to subsonic speeds then why do you need a "controlled expansion" bullet costing $1½?

Load a 500grain+ lead WFN bullet and let that snow-plow right through whatever you're aiming at. Seemed to work on Bison back in the days (and that with BP and at 3-400yards)
    And that bullet will fit a standard 2.1"case in a standard lever, but then again it's allready been done so they cant suck you dry for money that way.

Maybe its for states that have a length limit on ammo cases. Aint it Indiana that has a case length limit of 1.8 inches? It may also appeal to those that dont want to reload to have a subsonic thumper. Another factor that may have lead to the design was all the talk of "Tactical Lever actions" a few years ago.

I kind of do this now with a Lyman 462540 boolit. I cut and trim the case back so it crimps in the right spot on the slug and not halfway up the nose. This way I have the correct OAL for my Guide Gun and a really cool looking round. I keep the speed at about 1000fps. Fun to shoot and accurate.

Now I just have to find some Leverevolution brass so I don't have to butcher my good brass......

There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

SSK Industries. Might have known.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rr2241tx View Post
    SSK Industries. Might have known.
    You got that right. At least this time he did actually modify the case a bit before claiming it as a proprietary cartridge, unlike when he co-opted an existing cartridge (the .300 Fireball) and chambered it in a fast-twist rifle blank in order to claim it as a proprietary cartridge.
    I was happy to see someone else bypass that with the .300 Blackout.

Boolit Master
    So my theory on just selling their special bullet was right. If was an AR where a barrel change is an easy thing be one thing. But barrel swaps on lever guns are not cheap. And seems like the special chambering would restrict it to only using that special bullet. The blackout can go super of subsonic by changing the magazine.

As stated if you cant kill it with a 500gr going 1000fps, that super wombat 465gr aint gonna do the job any better.

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe I missed something but can someone explain why the brass is trimmed so short unless that proprietary bullet has such a long ogive it has to be.

There is so much room in a .45-70 case that long heavy bullets/boolits can be seated deeply when using light powder charges for subsonic or reduced velocity. I understand why Gun-adian is shortening his brass to suit the boolit cast in the mould he has so it will cycle and feed but the proprietary bullet could have been tailored with a groove/cannelure at the factory so brass could be used full length.

So, the only three reasons I can see are:

- as mentioned, to suit hunting regulations where full length brass cannot be used
    - because that bullet has a very long ogive
    - to sell his proprietary ".45-70" system which it really isn't anymore ~ probably closer to a .45-60 (is the brass head stamped .45-70?... I bet it is). So why would it be called a .45-70?

I have been wanting to get another .45-70 and one of the boolits I'd like to try is the Gunn subsonic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Subsonic qa45colt.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	186118

I certainly don't need an SSK ".45-70 (not) Whisper". As already stated, I am sure it will appeal to some and that's fine. To each his own.

Longbow

Boolit Master

And here I thought a 45-70 Whisper was just 12 grains of TrailBoss...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast