Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accuracy problems

Super Moderator

I have been using the 311047 from NOE. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...products_id=81. I wrap up around the ogive so there is no lead contacting the bore. At work now..so I don't have my notes on bore & groove(too many rifles to memorize all of them!). I have been paper patching for a short time, but my experience has taught me to size patch and size so the bullet is a slip fit (with resistance) into a fired and unsized case. A good fit in the throat is important though. My rifle (Rem 700) seems to really like this boolit design, patched or not.

The advice to use JB bore to smooth smooth the barrel is good. I used a patch wrapped around a bore brush with Hoppes/JB on it to do this on my Mosin Nagant. After a while though, just shooting paper patched boolits will accomplish the same thing. I just ordered a .303 PP design from Accurate http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=30-190P-D.png, and will start out with patching it with .004 copy paper and size to .310- .311 as needed. Still toying with different lubes as well. Paper patching is tedious but fun when you can finally get things to come together.

Boolit Bub
    The wrapping is the same except for the number of wraps and the width of the strips if that makes sense. Because I've been wrapping to .313-316-.319 and different lengths up the nose just to try to hit on the 2-1/2 ft. target at 30yrds. None are working.

Boolit Master
    It is not clear to me as to whether you are sizing the Lee boolit down to .304" or so for its full length. If you are trying to wrap the unsized boolit with a patch and then shooting it; I believe you will have problems. If I'm misunderstanding, and you are sizing the boolit to .304/.305 over its full length, and then patching up to groove dia. or slightly over, you should be having much better results. Do you have a .304" push thru die?
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Bub
    I am not sizing the slug at all before wrapping, and am thinking that may be my problem

Boolit Buddy
    You have a Enfield with fuzzy bore syndrome. If like mine you would look down the bore after pushing that first patch and see fuzz in the barrel. Its from jacket material being stripped off by the cordite scorched barrel. This condition as is will be fatal to paper patching. The barrel can be smoothed up as some have suggested. This will result in good results. If when you see a white cloud upon fireing, the paper is being destroyed on its trip down the barrel. You should see paper strips blast out of the barrel when you have it right. Think confetti . Surprisingly you may get reasonable shooting out of regular cast boolits right away. Shoot a few regular cast boolits before trying the PP slugs at the same session . I did for mine and the regular boolits left the bore in a condition that would allow the PP to work.
    n.h.schmidt

Boolit Master
    303guy has mentioned using Enfields with what sounded like absolutely ruined bores and having success with pp boolits in those rifles - you might want to look at some of his posts...

I know there are some men here having success patching unsized boolits and shooting them - docone31 comes to mind. You might check some of his postings.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Bub
    You are probably right n.h. My bore looks great except for being frosty and a little dark in the grooves. It does snag a patch a little bit and I see the white cloud after the shot. It does shoot cast pretty well. I will try shooting cast and paper in the same session maybe it will help.
    Last edited by 1trkmind; 01-26-2017 at 12:42 AM.

Boolit Master
    Have you considered a few lapping rounds? Just about ten or so will take the high points off troublesome "lunch-grabbers" in a rough bore and there are very few barrels that don't benefit from making the bore consistent for it's entire length. Being dark in the grooves is an indicator your barrel is a candidate for this. With cast and PP sized for the throat, they will surely be riding over the rough stuff. I generally start with US Products Crystolon 400, http://www.us-products.com/product-p/product61.htm. A 1 oz. sample jar will do a dozen barrels, so you don't need much. If you're feeling motivated you could move on to 600 or 800, but if you barrel shoots cast pretty well as is, just smoothing off the "lunch-grabbers" will be an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by 1trkmind View Post
    I am thinking that the sizing to .304 is what I'm needing. Also my bore doesn't look bad but feels a little rough when I push a patch through it, could be causing problems. The bore is .316 so should I patch to that? The throat is .317 or so maybe patch to that and lube well to get over the roughness.
    I would patch to the throat. If the bullet doesn't fit there it won't go into the rifling straight.
    Shoot 50 or so patched and un-lubed bullets and you will see that bore start to smooth out. Shooting lubed patched bullets will do it as well, but it takes a lot more.
    Brodie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12