RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deer tallow lube

That seems a bit much as I've had mine sitting in a tupperware container in the basement for two years. I just was worried abut having to too tightly sealed or sticking and getting dirty.

The only mix I have trouble with was one one I tried oil in and it started sweating oil after 6 months to a year.

I blend 50/50 beeswax and tallow for my smokeless and black powder bullet lube. It does not sweat and is very stable. I also store the BW/tallow lube in the freezer.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

In Remembrance
    Here's a question for ya...I have rendered deer fat and it came out as a thin paste consistency. A friend gave me 2 jars of rendered bear fat and that was like a heavy oil. Does heat/length of time play a role in what you get when rendering?
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

When I render deer it is done on low heat and cooked like bacon. Too high and you kind of burn it and its brown. On low heat it is an amber color and dries to a white beige and is hard. It is not like crisco or lard. It is more like a soft beeswax you can push thumb dent into. like lard with wax in it. Probably where the waxy feeling eating it comes from and why we cut every stitch out we can processing.

Boolit Master
    I called mine VT3BW that way I didn't forget my ratio 3 parts venison tallow 1 part Bees wax
    I had a very fat doe several years ago 10-12 years now that I think bout it and made a bunch and just ran out 2 years ago.

I would put it in a cast iron skillet and heat it with the lid on cook it high enough to melt but low enough not to scorch it .

I would tilt the pan and spoon it off like bacon grease into another pan with a double boiler from goodwill then once I had melted my bees wax in I put it in cleaned out used butter tubs.

it worked I didn't use it to run any great accuracy tests , I honestly used more of it on leather and my hands than I did on patches or conicals

it eventually turned rancid but it took several years.

not having any tallow I just bought a tub of wonder lube a few years ago it works about the same on conicals a little softer than my VT3BW
    Whatever you be , Be a good one

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12