RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caliper recommendation or use a case gauge or both

Caliper recommendation or use a case gauge or both

I am a newbie in the market for a caliper. I really like the SE780DC dial caliper (Amazon $18.99) In the reviews I've read it receives high marks and in a few comparisons it fared as well as a Mitatoyo. The finish is better than most in the same price range. The repeatability is excellent. There is no battery to replace and it works well under 40 degrees. I am not sure the bezel will rotate to calibrate should there be an error. I reload 38 Special and 9mm What is your opinion.

Can a caliper be replaced by a case gauge? Maybe I do not need a caliper at all.
    Last edited by bbogue1; 01-16-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Really good question--almost worthy of a "sticky". There are dozens of calipers on the market, and most will serve the purposes of casters/reloaders. You usually get what you pay for, but even the less expensive calipers now days are good. You are correct that the ability to calibrate the caliper is a desirable feature. I'm not familiar with the one you've described, and although I've got some more expensive ones for machine work, when sitting at the reloading bench I usually reach for my made-in-China $19.95 special. You haven't described the operations you intend to use it for, and depending on what they are you might be able to get away without one. For example, if it is for determining case length, then certainly a case length gauge will tell you if the case is too long, and a trim die will let you trim to length. You may find a micrometer, 0-1" , better for some measuring purposes like bullet diameters. But for most measuring I use a dial caliper that can be recalibrated, and in about 20 years of use I've only had to recalibrate it once.

I would jump on that set of calipers, as they will help you at not a bad price. I have case gages, but in my opinion they should not replace calipers. I use my calipers for set up for various calibers and other things.

I can't find anything on "se780dc" so I have no idea what you are looking at but I have calipers all over the place, house, shop, truck, farm and use them all the time. I also have case gauges, so I guess I am a "both" guy.

If I could only have one, it would be the caliper.

Found it SE-780dc worked.

https://www.amazon.com/SE-780DC-Dial...ywords=Caliper

Looks like it should do the job. The knob on top locks the jaw(s) position on the beam the knob on the bottom holds the bezel wherever you set it.
    Last edited by jmorris; 01-16-2017 at 11:50 AM.

Boolit Master

For reloading both can have benefits. I reload for 300Blk and .277 Wlv, both of which are made from cut down 5.56 cases. I use a Sheridan slot case guage which touches upon all the critical measurements all at once. The calipers, along with a good OAL guage that measures off the ogive comes in real handy as well. I have a few calipers, a couple good ones, and a couple of Harbor Freight ones ($10 ea), they, so far, have been pretty darn close. Close enough for reloading anyway, if machining, then maybe a higher quality one is in order.
    Last edited by Omega; 01-16-2017 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Speeling
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master

A good set of calipers are indespensible on the loading bench and in the reloading gun room. Along with in the shop. I have used Mitoyo, Starrets, Helios, And some others both digital and dials. Digitals are handy and simple. On the dials watch for the dials some are 1 revolution =.100 others are 1 revolution=.200 I find the later harder to read at a glance. A set of michrometers is also very handy for more accurate readings.

For sure no digital calipers! Pain in the *** to read, and keep alive with batteries.
    Above advice on dials is critical. You want .100" per revolution. .200 are stupid.
    Cheap Chinese calipers are a **** shoot. In the old days they were more reliable. Now they can be pretty bad, or fairly decent.
    My favorite is B&S, without thumb wheel. Can be had for about 80$ on eBay. I'd suggest those personally.

Banned
    You can get an accurate reading from a $4 set of plastic calipers provided you can read them. It seems to be a lost art anymore. Anyway, I use dial calipers, micrometer,and case gauge when checking my cases.

Boolit Master
    I have a couple inexpensive dial calipers that I use to check loaded cartridge OAL with. (Overall All Length)

I keep a spare set of dial calipers inside my portable reloading bag, along with a hand press for the same reason.

I generally prefer to use the easier to read battery operated digital calipers to check cartridge OAL's with. They are quick to use, and easy on old eyes - as long as the battery is still good.

The simple and reliable dial caliper has no batteries to worry about though.

Case gauges can also be useful. They won't allow you to measure critical cartridge dimensions however, they just let you know if the ammunition you have assembled will possibly fit in the chamber.

I find case gauges are more useful when you don't have access to the cylinder or barrel of that particular firearm to gauge your ammo with. Many refer to this as performing a "plunk" test.

Plunk examples, in the images below.

If it plunks, it fits.

When I'm loading at a different location, such as one that's away from the firearm... Then a quality case gauge like a Wilson is the next best thing IMO.

Do realize that if you assemble too small ammunition, or are over crimping your ammunition it may also "fit" and you won't easily be able to tell as you aren't really measuring the ammunition when using case gauges.

I have an assortment of Dillon and Wilson case gauges. I keep them inside the caliber appropriate reloading die boxes so they are easily available. I don't think you can replace a good set of calipers by using case gauges though.

A micrometer is a more useful tool than calipers for taking smaller accurate measurements of critical dimensions, like a slug after it's been driven through a barrel or cylinder throat, or the actual size of a cast boolit

Much like the boolit in the image below.

That boolit was photographed in the digital calipers to more easily show the .451 size, but was actually measured using the harder to read vernier micrometer below it.

In this case I had loaded a .452 diameter boolit as I always do, but I added an unnecessary step at the very end, using the inexpensive yet popular Lee Carbide Factory Crimp post sizing die.

The Lee CFCD (Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die) swaged, or squeezed my cast boolit down to .451 diameter through the cartridge brass, as you can readily from the pulled and measured boolit in the above image.

This was due in part to the over sized cast boolit I was using, and the thickness of my cartridge brass. This doesn't always happen using this type of die, but this combination was the perfect storm, and all the tolerances were on the larger side of things, causing the boolit diameter to shrink. Something to watch out for if you use a Lee CFCD in some situations with oversize cast boolits.

I can generally get away without sizing my 45 ACP boolits for my old Colt, as it has very generous tolerances and will not choke on a boolit as large as .453

However history has shown that if I size all my boolits to .452, I won't encounter any stoppages, or assemble any ammunition that will not gauge, or plunk so I've learned to size all of my boolits irregardless to prevent any stoppages.

So I size ALL of my boolits as a quality control step now, even if they don't necessarily need to be sized. I also find it easier to size them, rather than measure every single boolit with a micrometer before loading.

Even though many of my cast boolits can just be tumble lubed and loaded simply "as cast" without requiring sizing, I'll still do it anyways .

Boolits cast from a harder or larger cast alloy may drop as large as .454 -.455 and they will not fit or plunk at all. Sometimes casting accidents can slip through as well, like finned or out of rounds boolits when you don't close the mould completely, or have a speck of lead stuck between the block cavity faces.

Boolits that end up this large MUST be sized down to .452 to work in all of my pistols, or culled. I use a simple Lee .452 press mounted Lube and Sizing kit to do this.

Though in days past I've also used a Lyman 450 or 4500 Lube Sizer.

The point I'm trying to make here, is that you can miss a variance of .001 quite easily with a pair of calipers, and assemble ammunition that either may not fit, or could perform poorly. The micrometer is a tool that's much better suited for checking the more critical dimensions, when thousandths of an inch matter.

When I use too small .451 boolits in my old Colt.... They will fit and chamber, but they leave lead deposits in my barrel, and my accuracy will also suffer.

When I use .452 boolits, everything works great. The boolits will also fit in all of my other 45 ACP pistols.

If I use too large .453 boolits, they will only reliably chamber in my old Colt pistol, and not in any of my other newer pistols. Yet they still will shoot well in the Colt.

If I use .454 or larger boolits, they are too large to fit and function in any my 45 Auto pistols.

The case gauge will readily accept a range of boolit sizes, and won't let you know if the boolit is too small. (as they will still fit)

Each measuring tool is useful for different applications when it comes to hand loading quality ammunition, instead of stuff that just goes bang.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Grand Master

ANother handy item with calipers or larger michrometers is a set of standards to check zero and accuracy. I have seen dial caliper that "grew" .003 thru the range. with out standards or gages you may never find this. Another thing to check on calipers is that all four measurements are the same, out side, inside and both depth measurements.

I find it interesting how some people find digital calipers easier to read. I feel they are much harder to read, especially given repetitive similar measuring like we find in reloading. But, I also hate the metric system so I'm sure it's a "me problem"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    I find it interesting how some people find digital calipers easier to read. I feel they are much harder to read, especially given repetitive similar measuring like we find in reloading. But, I also hate the metric system so I'm sure it's a "me problem"
    Most digitals can display mm or inches, I can't see it getting any easier, no guessing if the needle is closer to one line or the other.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    You should definitely have a caliper.

If you'll be transitioning between inch and metric measurements frequently and not good at doing the conversion in your head. If you're a little fumble-fingered and likely to drop them from time to time, buy the digitals.

I have digitals, but made my living as an engineer and machinist and had to have a set that could plug in to SPC. Also have and much prefer dial and even vernier. Was taught that, when it comes to tools, always buy the best you can afford.

My favorite brands are: Tesa, Brown and Sharpe, Starrett, Mitutoyo, Fowler.
    Last edited by smokeywolf; 01-18-2017 at 03:58 AM. Reason: spelling
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Mold
    I have both. Frankfort arsenal caliper and a Lyman case gauge. I trust my caliper over that Lyman thick sheet metal. When I put my case in it there is a gap near the top which always sets of an alarm. (Idk why I've never had a case for
    Shorter than.744 9mm) personal preference maybe due to me wanting to see the numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    For sure no digital calipers! Pain in the *** to read, and keep alive with batteries.
    Above advice on dials is critical. You want .100" per revolution. .200 are stupid.
    Cheap Chinese calipers are a **** shoot. In the old days they were more reliable. Now they can be pretty bad, or fairly decent.
    My favorite is B&S, without thumb wheel. Can be had for about 80$ on eBay. I'd suggest those personally.
    I have no battery issues with cheap digital calipers, had this one for years. http://amzn.to/2jV4wOT My eyes are still good for now, so no help on reading the screen

I case gauge and use calipers. Spot-check with calipers after I get the load dialed in and case gauge everything.

I use the Frankfort Arsenal digital calipers. I find them very easy to read and use. After one dead battery, I now take out the battery when I am done using them. No problems now. I also have a cheap HF dial set as back up and they are definitely accurate enough for most reloaders.

I have no battery issues with cheap digital calipers, had this one for years
    Now you've done it, had I said something like that, they would be dead next time I picked them up.

I do like my digital calipers, especially for comparison or working off "zeros" somewhere other than actual zero. Making sure the case doesn't hit the on button when the lid is closed and keeping at least two spare batteries solves the problem of having nothing to measure with for the most part.

I keep dials in my truck because I don't have to keep track of anything except the caliper. Vernier at the farm because nothing is more durable or will last as long as they will.

Boolit Grand Master

My digital mitoyos batteries seem to last about 2 years for me. even when they were being used at work daily. One plus to digitals is for repetitive work or sorting they can be zeroed any where along their range so you read zero and +/- instead of the actual dimension.

Boolit Master

I use both gauge and caliper. You can get by without the gauge but one should definitely have a caliper.

I have a Mitutoyo dial that I've owned for almost 40 years. Use it constantly. Wouldn't be without one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast