Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hitek 45 ACP worked but 9mm didn't - Suggestions

Boolit Master
    It works fine in 9mm with 2.6.92 alloy and correct bullet fit/sizing, and no Lee carbide FC die
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Try one more test... let the coated boolits age for a week or two, then try them.

Having said that, I've abandoned HT in favor of PC too.
    before or after coating please?

Boolit Master
    I have shot thousands of Hi-Tek coated 2-6-92 alloy 9mm bullets with the correct sizing, my barrels are as clean as they are when jacketed bullets were used.

It works fine in 9mm with 2.6.92 alloy and correct bullet fit/sizing, and no Lee carbide FC die
    I have shot thousands of Hi-Tek coated 2-6-92 alloy 9mm bullets with the correct sizing, my barrels are as clean as they are when jacketed bullets were used.
    Could be more to it. My 45's were sent off to DougGuy to be throated because nothing I did with PC prevented leading. The throats were too abrupt and would shave the bullets, regardless of size, alloy, coating, etc. This is probably why Hitek is working with them.

My 9's, both glocks, haven't had such a treatment. I suspect PC is a little stronger and is able to withstand whatever barrel issues I might have. I fired 50 factory hitek bullets and they also leaded my barrels. Possible the factory boolits had issues, but I doubt it.

Point being, there could be more to this than just the coating and stating that it definitively will work for me isn't necessarily true. Even to say it works in other glocks, doesn't necessarily mean it will work in mine. There could be differences.

I certainly appreciate that it works for many people and I'd imagine it would work for me as well, if I had the time or patience to figure out the problem. I gave it a good try. I tried thin coats, I tried heavy coats, I adjusted temperatures and bake times. I tried different sizes from .356 up to .358, different colors, factory bullets, and alloy hardness. It just didn't work "for me". I have my PC process down to perfection and any further HiTek effort just doesn't make sense at the quantities I'm producing for personal consumption.

Thanks everyone for your assistance and input, but I'm completely out. Any suggestions you may have, though appreciated, won't be put to the test by me. I'm not going to mess with it any further. I just wanted to make a final statement to spare anyone any further effort, wasted time, or wasted keystrokes in trying to assist.

Bayou Bullets sells tons of HT coated & they are very popular among Glock shooters, no leading issues for most.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rototerrier View Post
    Could be more to it. My 45's were sent off to DougGuy to be throated because nothing I did with PC prevented leading. The throats were too abrupt and would shave the bullets, regardless of size, alloy, coating, etc. This is probably why Hitek is working with them.

My 9's, both glocks, haven't had such a treatment. I suspect PC is a little stronger and is able to withstand whatever barrel issues I might have. I fired 50 factory hitek bullets and they also leaded my barrels. Possible the factory boolits had issues, but I doubt it.

Point being, there could be more to this than just the coating and stating that it definitively will work for me isn't necessarily true. Even to say it works in other glocks, doesn't necessarily mean it will work in mine. There could be differences.

I certainly appreciate that it works for many people and I'd imagine it would work for me as well, if I had the time or patience to figure out the problem. I gave it a good try. I tried thin coats, I tried heavy coats, I adjusted temperatures and bake times. I tried different sizes from .356 up to .358, different colors, factory bullets, and alloy hardness. It just didn't work "for me". I have my PC process down to perfection and any further HiTek effort just doesn't make sense at the quantities I'm producing for personal consumption.

Thanks everyone for your assistance and input, but I'm completely out. Any suggestions you may have, though appreciated, won't be put to the test by me. I'm not going to mess with it any further. I just wanted to make a final statement to spare anyone any further effort, wasted time, or wasted keystrokes in trying to assist.

Have you pulled any of your loaded bullets and measured them?

Well, I lied. I decided not to give up. After letting the dust settle on my frustrations, I decided to start over and try again. This time I went extreme in the conservative direction just to see what would a happen. Also loaded them fairly light to make sure I wasn't driving them too fast.

I did 3 coats of kryptonite green as thin as I could possibly get them. I added xtra acetone to ensure it was a super super thing glaze.

I then used a NOE expansion die to ensure I wasn't getting any scraping or swaging from my cases.

Results = Perfection

I believe my issues were caused by too much coating. Even though they passed the smash test, I just think it was too thick because they just didn't look quite like what you see posted elsewhere. They looked too pretty and too perfect. This super super thin coats still had full coverage and looked plenty acceptable.

I was just assuming these tests rounds would also fail, so I was really surprised, shocked and elated all at the same time when I examined the barrel and had zero leading. Accuracy was also perfect. It just all came together and was spot on.

I PC, HiTek & now BLL. Had a batch of 40s hitek didn't come out right so I BLL overcoat (1x) shot fine. saved recycling a couple hundred. I tried Hitek in BO and had failure, probably because of too thick coating.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wlkjr View Post
    What gun?
    92FS,glockstock/rifled

Great news. I'm also having frustrations with HT on 9 in my glock. I think I'll try sizing smaller and see if that helps. Thanks for the ideas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12